main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Indy 5 Indiana Jones & The Dial of Destiny All Aboard the Hype Train to June 2023!

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by choccy, Mar 15, 2016.

1. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    Spielberg just revealed that Lucas will be executive producer on the fifth Indy, and that he would never make an Indiana Jones movie without him.

http://moviepilot.com/posts/3973492

That's not what I was talking about. The author mentioned that there have been three macguffins so far, which is wrong, there have been four. It didn't say that there were three plus the chrystal skull, or that three of them were religious in nature. The author clearly considered the chrystal skull to be the third.

2. El Jedi Colombiano

El Jedi Colombiano Chosen One star 6

Jun 24, 2013
    Requoting this from the PT Social Thread just because...​

3. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    I think it was either a misquote or he meant to say there have been 4 MaCguffins but only three were religious in nature the Crystal Skull being the odd one out of the bunch with out religious connotations, that is probably what he meant.

4. Ingram_I

Ingram_I Force Ghost star 5

Sep 7, 2012
    About the recent news of Lucas returning as executive producer... I'm somewhere between 'sigh of relief' and potential 'fist-pump'. I suppose the latter would be predicated more on his increasing involvement in the actual story and themes. My hopes remain high.

In any event, the four most essential players are officially back: Spielberg, Lucas, Ford, Williams. You know what you call that? An Indiana Jones movie, bitches!

[​IMG]

5. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    [​IMG]

6. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013
    Even more on board for this now that Lucas is back. Indy is back, baby.

Huttese 101 likes this.
  7. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Why is there only one site reporting this? Specially one I've never heard about? I need more details.

8. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Yes. I haven't seen anything on TFN Main or Rebelscum Main about this.

9. bstnsx704

Mar 11, 2013
  10. bstnsx704

Mar 11, 2013
  11. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    Executive producer - what does that mean? It could mean an advisory role but not day to day. Does it mean that someone else is writing it then?

12. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    Lucas has always been executive producer on Indiana Jones. What it means is hard to say, because that job description fits to a whole lot of things, ranging from a lot of creative involvement to hardly any at all. It may mean that Lucas will participate in the exact same way as he has in the past, or he may just be around a bit and hold the job-title more because of what he did in the past. You can find tv-shows on which the creator of the show still gets listed as executive producer even though he hasn't been involved with the show for over a decade. Judging by Spielberg's comments, it seems likely that Lucas will be more involved than that ;)

Lucas hasn't written any of the Indiana Jones movies, he usually just came up with the story and fleshed it out together with Spielberg and whoever the writer for the specific movie was.

13. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    I have to say I have never heard of the moviePilot website, Don't know If we can trust them. I find It suspicious that no other site is reporting that Lucas will be Executive Producer. Lucas also was involved in 6 star wars movies but had nothing to do with TFA so would it be unheard of that he has no involvement in Indy 5? Spielberg might want his good friend on board but may be Disney wants no part of a Lucas partnered Indy 5 except for the Lucasfilm Logo. and I love Lucas but I feel he is truly done with big blockbusters I could be wrong though?

14. Gamma626

Gamma626 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 6, 2014
    YES! I'm so happy that George is back! Can't wait for Indy 5 now! :D

CaptainRegor likes this.
  15. D-Ludicrous

D-Ludicrous Jedi Master star 2

Oct 26, 2006
    Now that there is a Indy 5 and they have found the Macguffin I wonder who the expert is going to be. In every movie Indy is not and expert but some other professor.

16. CaptainRegor

CaptainRegor Jedi Master star 3

Nov 15, 2012
    Hmm, yeah! Interesting question... I'd personally like to see John Hurt return as Ox.
    Altough this is "old" Indy so he might take on a more professor role?

Huttese 101 and Darthmaul208 like this.
  17. Darthmaul208

Darthmaul208 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 29, 2013
    Too close to TFA perhaps?
    Filling the role of the Mentor, like Obi Wan in ANH?

It would work but I think it's a little close to TFA.

They've already said they won't kill him off so they are thinking about it. (SPOILER ALERT?)

CaptainRegor likes this.
  18. dsematsu

dsematsu Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 6, 2013
    Haha, I'd say that's pretty important in terms of movie writing...

DartJackson, Darkslayer and Seagoat like this.
  19. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    I know this movie is still ~3 years away, but I'm hoping we hear more about it soon, especially re: cast members and maybe basic plot info.

Darkslayer and TheMoldyCrow like this.
  20. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    That's not what I meant though. It's one thing to create the general storyline, writing the movie means writing the script, and that was what the discussion was about.

I doubt that we are going to hear much about it anytime soon, especially when it comes to basic plot info. We don't really know anything about the Han Solo movie beyond writer, director and who the lead is, and that movie comes out more than one year earlier than the next Indy.

21. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Writing the movie is writing the story and the script/screenplay. You can't have a script without a story. To say that Lucas didn't write any of the movies is false, because he did the most important part of writing: the story.

DartJackson and Darkslayer like this.
  22. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Agree. Either way I think it'll be awhile before we hear one way or the other how involved GL is with this one.

23. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Killing off Indy in an Indiana Jones movie would be a terrible idea. Han's a (pretty important) character in an multi-generational episodic saga so I can buy that. But, geez, imagine killing Indy? What a bummer that would be.

I think it'll be fun to see what domestic bliss is like for Indy and Marrion. I mean, not the whole movie mind you but how they're getting along.

Huttese 101 likes this.
  24. TheMoldyCrow

TheMoldyCrow Jedi Master star 3

Jun 16, 2015
    Man, I know this films about three years away, but I'm still super pumped about it for whatever reason. I'm honestly more excited for it than Episode IX at the moment.

PymParticles likes this.
  25. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    No, it's not. It's really not that hard to understand...

I was SPECIFICALLY talking about writing the scripts, which is obvious if you read the posts in question. Writing always refers to the script, not the story. There is a reason why script and story can be seperate entities when it comes to the credits.

AndyLGR was asking if Lucas wouldn't write the new Indy, I gave the proper answer, that Lucas never wrote (meaning: the script) the movies. He came up with the stories, and was involved in the actual production, but he never wrote the script for any Indiana Jones movie. Which is in direct contrast to Star Wars, for which he happened to pen four scripts on his own and happened to write multiple drafts for ESB and ROTJ as well, before Kasdan got to finish them.

Saying that "Lucas wrote the Indiana Jones movies" is wrong. He came up with the stories, characters and other stuff, but "writing" implies way more than that. There was always a clearly defined writer for Indiana Jones, and it was never George Lucas. If the answer to the question "who wrote this movie?" is not George Lucas, and it clearly isn't on any of the four Indy movies, than he obviously isn't the writer.

That doesn't make him any less important.