main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Indy 5 still on the cards?

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by Disciple-of-Tython, Jan 28, 2013.

1. KenW

KenW Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 25, 2015
    I thought the old man Indy bookend parts had been decanonized with the rereleases excluding them.

2. Blur

Blur Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 1999
    Right - forgot about that. I do have the three DVD sets without the George Hall "bookends", but did also see the show when it was first released in the '90's, with those bookends.

I guess I always felt that the point of the GH bookends was to show that Indy lived a long life...

KenW likes this.
  3. Santar

Santar Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 3, 2014
    A new rumor just popped at up at Deadline stating that Spielberg himself wants to direct the new Indy movie with Chris Pratt.
    It just seems so strange to me, has Spielberg really changed so much? He was always the one so incredibly adamant about the fact that only Harrison Ford is Indiana Jones. And now he even wants to direct Pratt as Indy?
    I just find it so strange that both Disney and now Spielberg has just pushed Ford aside.

Perhaps it really will be a combined movie with both Ford and Pratt. The only way I could see it working is if we got a short Last Crusade like opening with Pratt and then the real movie was one last hurrah for Ford in the role.
    Of course I'd much much rather just have one last one just with Ford.

4. GunganSlayer

GunganSlayer Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2013
    Yeah, I really don't get what's going on with this latest rumor. Ford has wanted to do one last film ever since KOTCS was released, and frankly, we can still get a great Indy adventure even with Ford's age. It just requires a good story and a good script. I don't really think a fifth film was high on Lucas' priority list these past few years. His excuse of "not finding a macguffin" to me just means that he wasn't really working on the story at all. With Spielberg, the general impression was that he was really coerced into making KOTCS, so I find it somewhat surprising that he's expressing interest in a new film (and without Ford).

I'm going to be very disappointed if these recent rumors come to fruition and we miss out on one last film with Ford. At this point, it's seeming less and less likely Ford will get his last film. I guess the best I can hope for (apart from a solo Ford film), is that Pratt plays Ford's son. Go ahead and recast Mutt Williams, I think we'll be fine there. A father-son pairing like Last Crusade I think could turn out well.

Sarge likes this.
  5. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    In a way I can understand him wanting to direct a new indy movie, after all he might think of it as his baby. He also may think it would be good to have someone to oversee it who knows what's expected. But at the same time it's also disappointing that it's a project that's so inextricably linked to Harrison and George and yet it may not feature their input.

6. Darth Zannah

Darth Zannah Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 28, 2014
    i am still resistant to Pratt but if speilberg is on board as director I may be more open...I like the idea of Harrison narrating an adventure with a young Indy being played by Prat more than just Pratt solo

7. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    I would love to see Pratt as Indy he was great in Guardians Of The Galaxy, and Jurassic World from what I can see in the trailers looks really good!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Darkslayer likes this.
  8. AndyLGR

May 1, 2014
    Arguably the next film is the biggest of the series. Theres a lot at stake for this one. It would be a big call to ditch Harrison, but they have to get someone new in with a story good enough to enable it to continue for multiple films. Potentially if they pick the wrong guy it could kill it and then take years to get it going again.

9. Leoluca Randisi

Jun 24, 2014
    but how believable is a mid 70's Indy, it works in star wars because there is not as much Action for Han depending on how they wrote his Character, may be have Harrison as an old Indy in the beginning and the End and transition to a young Indy kind of like the young Indiana Jones Chronicles, and may be have Harrison on the next film as a Consultant?? And I liked KOTCS as much as the temple of doom at least, I thought Nuked The Fridge was classic and the Diner Scene and the Russian camp was real fun as well, and the strongest part of KOTCS was Harrison, he played it well!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1:cool:

10. Darth Zannah

Darth Zannah Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 28, 2014
    i'm glad Pratt is reluctant to play the role...if i was him I would rather capitalize on my own unique roles not try and step into the shadows of another famous actor...wise stance on the matter Pratt!

11. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012
    I personally don't see the need for more films to be made or for the role to be recast. Although Indiana Jones has quite a legacy, at the same time he exists in our universe. It's not like Star Wars which has its own universe, laws (and lore), ongoing arcs etc...

Indiana Jones exists alongside us but at the same time it cannot be renewed or handed down in the same way 007 or Doctor Who can. I know what I want to say but just don't know how to articulate it. I suppose it's difficult to define how Indiana Jones can or should be reinvented because of how time specific the character's setting and overall story is fixed within. If you rebooted it, there wouldn't be a point because you would either just have to repeat what has already been done or do something so different that it doesn't quite reflect the name that looms over it.

I'd like to see the franchise (for now) continue as video games. Dan Aykroyd and company had the best idea when it came to Ghostbusters 3; make a video game out of it. The entire time you worked alongside the classic cast. This included excellent performances by everyone involved, even Murray who was at his sardonic best.

It really felt like a 1990s Ghostbusters film. Indiana Jones could do the same thing. I'd love to hear Harrison lend his voice to an officially licensed IJ game. You could effortlessly capture the magic of the first three films here. How great would a Fate of Atlantis remaster be with Harrison redubbing the dialogue? Yes, Doug Lee was excellent but if I had my choice...

12. Rob Wainfur

Rob Wainfur Jedi Youngling

Feb 13, 2015
    Just thought I would comment regarding the Deadline stories. I was particularly interested in the Spielberg story so as I'm fortunate enough to be able to contact an official representative of Spielberg (at Dreamworks) I asked if these rumours are true and the official response was 'we are unaware of anything happening regarding Steven and Indiana Jones or other projects. Steven is busy working on the finishing touches of St James Place and the upcoming Roal Dahl project BFG.'

13. AndyLGR

May 1, 2014
    I wouldn't have expected them to say anything else. Its all speculation right now with nothing set in stone so far.

Unfortunately (or fortunately depending on your viewpoint), Hollywood doesn't think like that. Its money orientated with the big franchises which is why I think we will see Indy remade or rebooted at some point. Did you read that they are also making a Ghostbusters movie with new leads, all female, too?

14. GunganSlayer

GunganSlayer Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2013
    Deadline is the one who first reported on the Pratt and the Spielberg rumors. While film development and contracts are a lengthy and complex process, Deadline is perhaps the most legitimate source in the industry, surpassing Variety (which are now owned by the same parent company).

If Deadline is reporting, it's because there's at least some truth floating out there that some conversations have taken place, which is why I'm worried. Ford has been wanting to do another film for years; we can still get a good Indy adventure with him, provided the right story and script.

15. DebonaireNerd

Nov 9, 2012
    Saw it literally the hour the news broke. Shameful "creative" decision in that it's merely interested that comes across as a publicity head turner more than putting together a good cast and telling a good story. No, nothing against female Ghostbusters or females as a gender. Think of my objection as being along the lines of blindly conforming to what is currently considered "hip".

KenW likes this.
  16. AndyLGR

May 1, 2014
    Whilst we're talking about sequels Blade Runner 2 is due to go into production next year starring Harrison Ford. So him playing Indy again is looking further and further away.

17. Santar

Santar Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 3, 2014
    Ford is rumored to only show up in the third act of that movie so he'd have plenty of time for some more Indy.
    You'd think that if him being a part of Balde Runner 2 put Indy 5 in jeopardy he'd not do it.
    Lets just hope Chris Pratt doesn't show up to steal Deckard away too.

18. DebonaireNerd

Nov 9, 2012
    In 2015, I'm really surprised it's Blade Runner 2, not a reboot. Frankly, I'm impressed. It will be interesting to see how the production is dealt with.

KenW likes this.
  19. Leoluca Randisi

Jun 24, 2014
    New Indiana Jones Movie Confirmed By Kathleen Kennedy
    The adventuring archaeologist will seek fortune and glory again
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]05 May 2015 | Written by Ali Plumb | Source: Vanity Fair

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The rumours about a fifth Indiana Jones movie have been in the air for a good few years now, but in a recent interview with Vanity Fair, Star Wars and Lucasfilm president and all-round super-producer Kathleen Kennedy has officially confirmed that yes, Indy will be back, although in what form and when remains to be seen.
    "[An Indiana Jones film] will one day be made inside this company," said Kennedy. "When it will happen, I’m not quite sure. We haven’t started working on a script yet, but we are talking about it."
    There was some very loud chatter about Chris Pratt picking up the whip, but that remains unconfirmed, and with his roles in on-going franchises Guardians Of The Galaxy and Jurassic World being so similar to everyone's favourite fortune hunter, this might put pay to that idea - or make it an easier decision for Lucasfilm to make, should Pratt want the gig.
    There's also been some talk about Steven Spielberg coming back to direct, and some thoughts from Chris Pratt himself about the idea, but with Indiana Jones 5 also announced back in 2009, it's important to not get too excited about the idea of The Man In The Hat coming back. If that's even possible.
    With everything still every much up in the air, Indiana Jones 5, or whatever it ends up getting called - hopefully not Indiana Jones 5 - has no official release date pencilled in, but watch this space...

20. Ingram_I

Ingram_I Force Ghost star 5

Sep 7, 2012
    Never before have I felt so dejected as a fan of these two respective franchisesStar Wars and Indy, Indy and Star Wars. They truly are my all-time favorite films, all nine of them. I hate being this kind of grumbling killjoy. A wet blanket. This is the first time I've ever really sunken so low into a continuing state of glum about something of which I'm so passionate; to such a degree, at times I feel like I'm someone else, like I'm standing outside my own body: "Who is this person?" I even hate the fact that I'm whining about whining. It's bizarre, yet unavoidable. I've virtually lost all spirit for where the new Star Wars films are heading, and I knew it was only a matter of time before Disney/Lucasfilm confirmed their intentions with a 5th Indy installment. The content itself is hardly full-proof; I'm not one of those who can just be unshakably happy and excited over the very fact that we'll be getting a new Indy movie. I wish I was. Those of you who are, I envy you. Sincerely. But at every turn, on nearly every level, I've been consistently disappointed with the choices made by the current incarnation of Lucasfilm, the future prospects/directions they've since expressed and the overall low-cultured sensibility fueling as muchhow they've transformed the whole enterprise into just another common fandom catering business, and often in such an underhanded manner.

And at this point, I just don't care what Kathleen Kennedy has to say about anything anymore.

KenW, L110 and GunganSlayer like this.
  21. Leoluca Randisi

Jun 24, 2014
    I feel the Exact opposite, I love Disney and think they are finally getting It right weather It be with the Muppets, Marvel, Pixar, Disney Toon Studios, or Now with Star Wars, and the Rebels, I think Lucasfilms Is in good hands:D

22. KenW

KenW Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 25, 2015
    I'm right there with you. I mean, they have George Lucas, a living legend and the guide behind a recent, award winning Star Wars hit, Clone Wars, and they kick him to the curb as soon as the sale occurs as if he doesn't know what he's doing at all. It just seems like insane hubris. But I am glad for one thing. Lucas will actually have time to make other things before he dies.

23. AndyLGR

May 1, 2014
    I'm looking at it in a different light. The original movies are films I grew up with and like a hell of a lot, they are some of my all time favourites, especially Raiders. But after KOTCS I'm willing to give someone else the benefit of the doubt in terms of writing something different and hopefully better than the fourth entry.

I'd also hope that Harrison is able to take part, but if not I'd give a new actor a fair crack of the whip ;) to take over the role. The reality is that Harrison is big shoes to fill and if they do decide to give the part to someone else and reboot it, then they have to be very careful they get it right if they want it to become a multi film franchise with the new guy.

Realistically Raiders / Indy are such an iconic film / character that its no surprise that at some point it wouldn't be remade or rebooted by a studio.

Leoluca Randisi likes this.
  24. Leoluca Randisi

Jun 24, 2014
    I agree.

25. Ingram_I

Ingram_I Force Ghost star 5

Sep 7, 2012
    Well, it's certainly in profitable hands. No arguing that. But, hey, if you're jazzed about it, more power to ya. I hope you enjoy them. [face_party]

Leoluca Randisi likes this.