Chic, IL Indy again ?????????

Discussion in 'Mid West Regional Discussion' started by TomTav, May 13, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TomTav Jedi Knight

star 1
    Has everyone caught this little nugget?

OUCH

With a second chance maybe they can actualy get it right.

What are everyone's thoughts?
  2. Sithman Chosen One

star 7
    Why's this bad? I dearly hope they have it in Indy again.

It's close. It's a huge place. They'll plan better and staff more this time.

I dearly hope it's in Indy again. :)
  3. JediGemini Jedi Master

star 4
    That would be very cool.... Maybe I'll be able to actually go!
  4. Worminator Jedi Padawan

Indy was cool and I think by having it at the same place twice they can be better prepared.
  5. TomTav Jedi Knight

star 1
    Worm..
    What did you think was "cool" about it being in Indy?
    Not about Celebration itself, but about the city of Indianapolis.

Besides of course the countdown on the stoplights.

And of course the party thrown by indy nights and the 501st.

tt

6. ObiWanJane Jedi Master

star 4
    If WOTC does C3 in Indy, I probably won't go.

:(
  7. gharyz Jedi Knight

star 1
    I would have to agree. I felt like CII was simply a test to see what concerns needed to be addressed before Gencon moves there this summer.

Perhaps they will work out the problems, but I will wait until I hear reports from the other cons before considering a return to that facility.
  8. MrShiny Jedi Knight

star 1
    If it is Indy again, I doubt WotC will be running it. Right now, they are pretty much out of the convention business. Origins is now run by GAMA, and Gen Con was sold to WotC founder Peter Adkinson (bought no doubt with the money Hasbro gave him!).

It'll be intersting to see what happens - Peter understands fans, but when he was running WotC, Gen Con was not that hot - see the Salon.com John Tynes article about how WotC was basically a free love meets big business experient that failed.
  9. TomTav Jedi Knight

star 1
    You have a point Mr. Shiny.
    Maybe it was more of a WOTC problem.

If Lucas gets a company that understands the logistics involved with such a large group of people (which obviously WOTC did not) they should be able to overcome the limits of the facility.
    Indy as a city was fine but the facility felt small. Too many little rooms with narrow hallways. I do not think it was designed to have 20-30,000 people in the main hallways all at once.

But again if there were profesional convention people running things maybe they would know how to control the flow.

Once again I would love to hear other thoughts on this.

I may be alone in this - but i do not think the proximity of C3 to where I live is the most important thing.

C3 will most likely be the last and I would like to be able to enjoy it fully.

i would not mind C3 being closer to beach also :)

10. Mos_Eisleian_Radio Force Ghost

star 4
    I would hope that whatever company handles Celebration 3 would learn from the mistakes of 2 and make improvements. As a city, I really liked Indianapolis. It had a very welcoming presence.

Phil
  11. yodafett_77 Jedi Master

star 4
    As a member of the Indy Knights, thanks for the praise! We all worked our tails off to make C2 run as smooth as possible. Yes, there were problems, but a lot of those stemmed from lack of coordination on WoTC and the Convention Center itself. If you noticed, many of those were corrected before the convention itself were over. We are dearly looking forward to C3 to really put on a show for everyone. We're also hoping to maybe even get the Dome itself involved, then there would be no way of over crowding.

The biggest complaint we've recieved was the length of the lines... which, when you have 15 people signing autographs and the limited items like they had in the C2 store, there is NO WAY around that. Could the lines have been handled better? Maybe. Could the planning have gone more in-depth? Definitley, but those parts of the planning were taken out of the volunteer's hands for the most part. Combine the facts of "non-fans" making the logistical decisions, and the fact that they had nearly twice the turnout that they anticipated, I personally feel that everything went off fairly smoothly. Not to mention that the really bad line snarls (like the autograph one on Sunday) were because the people in the lines were ignoring the Security personnell and volunteers, without tazers and cattle prods, we could do nothing to make a person move the line to the other side of a cone or barrier if they refused...

But we are always open to constructive criticism to make things better. And we have 3 years and the balls are already rolling to get things on the move!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.