main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Padu, KY Indy and the Crystal Skull.

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by DarkLordOsirisPrime1, May 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarkLordOsirisPrime1

DarkLordOsirisPrime1 Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 18, 2006
    For those that haven't seen it, this movie was awesome. It was alot of fun to watch and had some great moments. Especially the little Star Wars bit.

2. BubaFatt

BubaFatt Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 24, 2006
    I thought the movie was awesome as well. Lots of laughs and had a great time. Poop on those who were so set in there ways that they were unable to enjoy the movie for what it was. It wasn't supposed to be some sort of masterpeice, just a good two hours to make you forget your cares, and it delivered. Don't listen to the bashers, just go see it and form your own opinion.

3. Nardo

Nardo Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 21, 2006
    I thought it was awsome!

4. pacervader

pacervader Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 27, 2005
    SPOILERS!!!!!!!!!!!! SPOILERS!!!!!! SPOILERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok, in the interest of starting a rousing debate and the fact that I truly feel this way I would like to say that I was horribly disappointed in this movie, eat it bubba, lol. Seriously, I thought the acting was awkward, the plot was flimsy, and the level of normally implausible Indy stunts was off the charts (Lead lined fridge saving him from atom bomb, really?!) I get the relevance of the plot set in the 1950's post Roswell alien crazed US. And I was fine with the reunion and use of Marian Ravenwood (high-point of the film IMO). But the plot points that really got me down were the little things like:

Indy being pulled from quick sand by snake: Really, I believe that snake would have snapped in half in 2 seconds, and Indy?s line bout calling it a rope, dumb!

Aliens being trans-dimensional beings: C'mon, the alien plot is already on shaky ground as it is, so to push it over the edge with that their just from another dimension is ludicrous.

Jeep sword fight: 4 words, to reliant on effects! I understand in today?s tech world that most stunts and difficult scenes are done against green screen but most of this scene looked awful. And who knew you could instantly communicate with and lead a small monkey army swinging thru the woods to save the day.

I have many more problems with this but overall it just didn't have the same fun feel of the originals. I probably had too high of expectations but I felt very let down by this and wanted something more. I know a lot of people felt this way bout Episode 1 but Ep 1 was the 1st act of a story and this is pretty much a stand alone movie and it just didn't hold up for me. Now go ahead and lay into me, lol. pv

5. ice1138

ice1138 Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 15, 2005
    I thought it was alright, no Last Crusade, but it was alright.

6. SithMonger

SithMonger Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 1, 2005
    I have to say, I totally lowered all of my expectations on this film before I went in, but I did enjoy it even though the sound system was horrible in the theater that I saw it in (with bubba), and bad sound can totally ruin any movie for me. But I did enjoy it. I laughed, and I had fun, and shook my head in disbelief a few times. But that's about all it was. Now, if I take my Indy blinders off, I have to agree with a lot of what PV had to say.

"Seriously, I thought the acting was awkward, the plot was flimsy, and the level of normally implausible Indy stunts was off the charts" - agree

"Aliens being trans-dimensional beings" - agree that that was too much

Tarzan LaBouf and his amazing monkeys - worst part of the movie to me

The Crystal Skull - aka Magic button - wave that thing around and all your troubles go away - too convenient

The Mac character - horribly written and only there to help show Indy's emotions (gave him someone to keep hitting) and then compassion at the end. Should have focused on the Russians more.

However, what I did think was fun was the Atomic Blast - but it was still over the top and absolutely unnecessary to anything in the story. And the "saved by a tree limb" scene was not much more implausible than the raft parachute from Temple of Doom to me.

I loved the whole chase through the jungle (except for above-mentioned Tarzan stunt) and think that if they had done the effects old-school it probably would have turned out even looking worse. But I can't say I wasn't disappointed in ILM, especially after the awesome effects we saw in Iron Man.

I don't think Shia did a bad job and, of course, Ford was as great as he could be after all these years, because I often still saw that sparkle from the first three movies in his eyes, but at times he seemed sluggish. But he basically carried the movie.

After watching the original trilogy the previous weekend, I can find absolutely nothing much I would change out of those films besides a cut here and a cut there. And although i enjoyed this film, it just can't even come close to making me feel like it fits into the same world as those. If Spielburg and Lucas wanted us to enjoy it as it was, why did it have to be Indiana Jones?

I do think it's funny how this movie is bookended by two of these directors other films - started off like American Graffiti (for no reason) and ended like a Close Encounters prequel or, even worse, AI, seems like only for the payoff of the saucer launch FX.

But, I'm going to see it again, especially because of the sound issue, and I'll put my Indy blinders back on and enjoy it even more.

7. BubaFatt

Sep 24, 2006
    You mean you can watch a movie, understand it's flaws, and yet still enjoy it? That's insane. Learn to have some fun PV.

8. Nardo

Feb 21, 2006
    I thought the snake part was probably my fave. Classic Indy. PV, you seriously are upset that they used the snake as a rope?? You are really debating the tensile strength of a rat snake?? lmao! Dude.

And I was very impressed right off the bat with the first hit that no sound effects were harmed in the making of this film. My meaning...they did not change the *thwap* classic Indy punch.

I agree the monkeys were kind of dumb, but I liked the ant fight scene. To me it was a sort of homage to the fight outside of the airplane in Raiders.

Also, I thought Cate Blanchett was awesome. I was worried, but I thought she was kickass.

Overall, I think it was classic Indy, and a great movie! Fine family fun! lol

9. pacervader

Jun 27, 2005

Really!? that scene felt like they just threw it in so they could use it for the big revelation.
    I'll give it another try when it comes to the drive in in July, maybe seeing it with others will make the difference.
    And Bubba Fatt, I'm not exactly sure what your last post meant but I think your taking my dislike for this movie a little to personally. I'm just saying Indiana Jones is still just a trilogy for me. pv

10. BubaFatt

Sep 24, 2006
    Having just two degrees of seperation from Harrison Ford, I do take it personally when his acting abilities are put into question. I understand he's not quite on my level, just ask Pete, but he is a close second, in my opinion. I feel that any flaws in the acting should fall onto the shoulder of the director for not properly using the word action to start the scene, since Harrison and myself share a mechanism.

I was just trying to give you a hard time. You are entitled to your opinion, as wrong as it may be. I wish you could have enjoyed it but I guess you can't help how you feel. It's okay, I still love you, especially when we are drunk.

11. TKYTROOPER

TKYTROOPER Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 18, 2005
    Im suprised at the things that bothered you pv. Indy is over the top always has been. You can totally buy magic Shankari stones, pulling a still beating heart out of someone, or being drug at 50 mph on a dirt road but have a problem with a snake being used as a rope? Come on. I really enjoyed 4. Even Shea LeBuff or whatever his name is didn't bother me the way I expected. I like the alien thing which there was way more of than I expected. I thought the scene where the classic sauser came up was awsome. Sure there would have been things I would like to have seen done differently. Hated the "Tarzan" scene, thought the Mac character was a complete waste. I also wish they would have left the Oz character as Abner like in earlier drafts of the script. The whole nuclear explosion was lame I admit. Looks like they could have found a better vehicle to get him to talk about what he had been doing for the gov. during the years. O.K. at the wedding why not have Saula and a now grown up Short Round there. That would have been cool. Maybe they will be C.G.ed in later. lol Anyway overall I thought it pretty much deliveried. I'm ready to go see it again. Don't be a hater.

12. pacervader

Jun 27, 2005
    It's the trans-dimensional aliens that get me. Maybe Indy just works better with a religious artifact as its prize. Each of the three originals had at its core a religious artifact being chased and all the regular Indy antics and "miracles" seemed a little more believable in that context. I will give it another try but I think they made a mistake with the T-D aliens. pv

13. Nardo

Feb 21, 2006
    TK8049 said the same. O.K. how is this not a religious artifact. That is what the skull was. It was worshiped as an idol. I don't get how it is not religious. It's not Christian based but neither were the Shankara stones.

14. SithMonger

SithMonger Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 1, 2005
    Sound made all the difference in the world for me. Saw it again and completely enjoyed it, even with the Indy blinders off, or I forgot what I was complaining about. I still have the same opinions on what was wasted and what could be better, but it totally delivered for me the second time. Except the Tarzan thing. It's like a Jar Jar moment in an Indy film. Horrible. Anyway, although I will still consider this film at the bottom of the four, it's pretty close.

15. BubaFatt

Sep 24, 2006
    I am totally with Nardo on the religion thing, and I too saw it again with better sound and it was more enojoyable.

16. BubaFatt

Sep 24, 2006
    All you haters, check out this site, http://www.moviemistakes.com/film7362. It has Indy as the most mistake ridden movie with 48. Ironman comes in at a distant second with 15.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.