main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Indy DVD release date move up to October!!!!

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by qui-gon-kim, Aug 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    > No deleted scenes

There is unused footage on the "extras" disc, as part of the documentaries. Whether or not this can be classed as "deleted scenes" is probably debateable.

Indiana Jones: Making The Trilogy: Documentarians raided the Lucasfilm archives to give you unprecedented access into the making of the Indiana Jones Trilogy. Join the cast and crew of all three Indiana Jones films on an epic movie-making adventure including all-new interviews from Steven Spielberg, George Lucas, Harrison Ford, Frank Marshall, Karen Allen, Kate Capshaw and more. Go on set and experience first hand the rough-and-tumble world of creating the Indiana Jones films. Complete with never-before-seen footage, outtakes, screen tests, production drawings and photographs, Making the Trilogy is the most detailed exploration of these classic films ever produced.

2. Patrick Russell

Patrick Russell Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 9, 1998
    Damn... I've always wanted to see the deleted scene from just after the Well Of Souls is closed, and the young German soldier refuses an order to kill Sallah. This was referred to in the Making Of Raiders book years ago, and apparently featured a young German tourist who happened to be tapped as an extra. Apparently, Spielberg loved the job this kid did in the scene, but they ended up having to cut it because it made the scene too long.

Oh well... it's nice to have the movies out on DVD at least.

3. JediMaster22

JediMaster22 Jedi Knight star 8

Oct 15, 1999
    Repost:

This usually doesn't happen at Eckerd... a Great deal!

Page 19 on the AD, "Indiana Jones Trilogy on DVD" for just $34.99.

I am wondering if that's a misprint?
    I HOPE NOT :D Awesome price!

- locked thread :)

4. royalguard96

royalguard96 Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 13, 2001
    Yes, the picture quality is astounding! They really did an amazing job with restoring the print for this format.

You can see small snippets of deleted scenes throughout the making-of documentary, but no completed deleted scenes.

This was definitely worth the wait. The Indy movies are just behind the 5 Star Wars films in terms of my favorites and I couldn't be happier with the set.

5. Leonard_ShelbyThe2nd

Leonard_ShelbyThe2nd Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 25, 2002
    This set is incredible. I'm currently watching the "Making of the Trilogy" documentary. This is awesome stuff. It's really cool to see old screen-test for "Raiders" with Tom Selleck, and such. Very, very cool. :cool:

Shelby2

6. The Bigger Fish

The Bigger Fish Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2000
    I just picked up the box set during lunch! :D

I'll watch Temple of Doom tonight, since I haven't seen that one as much as the others.

7. dehrian

dehrian Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 18, 1999
    I've always wanted to see the deleted scene from just after the Well Of Souls is closed, and the young German soldier refuses an order to kill Sallah.

They show them filming that in the documentary, and Rhys-Davies tells a story about problems he was having while shooting that scene.

The set is excellent.

8. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    The quality of picture and sound is amazing! And I was disappointed that there was no commentary on any of the films, but then I watched all three making ofs. They talk about pretty much each sequence in order, so it's basically the same; except you also get behind the scenes footage at the same time. The documentaries are awesome. I'm so happy :D

-sj loves kevin spacey

9. DerthNader

DerthNader Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 25, 2001
    I just watched the first fifteen minutes of Temple of Doom, not having seen the movie at all since fifteen years ago. Now I know why I disliked this movie so much. I totally forgot that Busby Berkley extended acid trip...err, dance number, was in the opening. I thought Willie was just up on stage singing, and then Indy came in.

Funny, didn't know Shanghai nightclubs had stages that big... 8-}

But Raiders was lovely, the docos were [Mr. Burns voice] "Excellent". Some of the clips with Harrison from BTS of Last Crusade, I remember seeing on an MTV documentary just before the movie opened. But that bit with him and the rat...that was DEFINITELY a first for me. The man is a classic...weirdo, that is. ;)

And the magic words for sound effects: Honda Civic station wagon, and cheese casserole. [face_laugh]

10. qui-gon-kim

qui-gon-kim Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 19, 2001
    No deleted scenes and no commetary tracks, which is disappointing

Well Speilberg has a policy of not doing commentaries for his films, so it's not surprising there's none on the Indy films.

11. malducin

malducin Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 23, 2001
    I've also heard that the mini-featurettes are disappointing except for the one on music by John Williams. How can you only have a 10 min. documentary on VFX for 3 films when the first 2 were Academy nominated for VFX and the third had some early pioneering work in digital technologies?

And 10 min for the stunts? When Raiders was released there was a 30 min documentary on TV just concentrating on the stunts from that film (I'm sure some of that footgae made it into the DVD featurette).

12. dehrian

dehrian Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 18, 1999
    Some of the stunts and effects are covered in the documentary. The featurettes are fairly focused looks at some key stunts and effects, etc. I didn't find them disappointing myself. You may want to reserve your judgment until you actually see them and not base your complaints on second hand information.

13. Gobi-1

Gobi-1 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 22, 2002
    At got the Indy set for 34.99 too, but not at Eckerd. Walmart has a "Meet or Beat" policy where if another store in the same town has a cheaper price for the same product they have to meet or beat the price.

I saw the Eckerd's sale ad which came in the local paper and it said 34.99 so I was like wow Eckerd is about 5 to 6 bucks higher on DVDs then Wal-Mart so I'll get it for like 29.99 or something.

I walk into Wal-Mart and saw that their price was 46.82! I said forget it and went and got the Eckerd's sale add and made Wal-Mart sale it to me for 34.99. I saved 11.00 dollars. :D

14. malducin

malducin Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 23, 2001
    You may want to reserve your judgment until you actually see them

You are right. I'm not saying that they are crap, I'm sure they have high production values. Actually my complaint is more geared towards Paramount which is not very good at doing extras (witness even the current Star Trek Special Edition DVDs). I'm sure the main documentary is as good as those from the prequels DVDs.

My other complaint is also towards Lucasfilm, because they say that there is not enough material for longer documentaries. In particular in reference for any eventual SW OT DVDs which is a blatant lie at worse or deceiving at the least. There is plenty of archival material in there (at least from ILM's side), plus there was a whole 25 min documentary on stunts from Raiders (which I might still have unless the VHS tape has rotted away) alone. If they don't want to make extra discs for each film fine, but don't come out with that excuse.

15. Gobi-1

Dec 22, 2002
    The Indy DVD bonus material is great but I want more! I would have rather had each film be a 2 disc set instead of all the bonus material but on one disc.

16. Dal--Intrepid

Dal--Intrepid Jedi Master star 5

Mar 13, 2002
    I've watched Raiders, the bonus 5th disc, and most of the stuff on the regular 4th bonus disc and have loved all of it. My only (minor) complaint is the look of the menu animations. I'm sure they were going for an older, rough look, but a lot of it just looks out of focus at times. That's OK though, you only have to watch it long enough to get to the movie.

17. Gobi-1

Dec 22, 2002
    I was a bit startles by the animated menus but now I love them. They have a watercolor look to them plus a like the CG planes, subs and mine cars. :D

18. Leonard_ShelbyThe2nd

Leonard_ShelbyThe2nd Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 25, 2002
    "My only (minor) complaint is the look of the menu animations. I'm sure they were going for an older, rough look, but a lot of it just looks out of focus at times."

It was deliberately done this way....and coupled with the music, it looks absolutely fantastic. I adore the menus on these DVDs. ;)

Shelby2

19. waheennay

waheennay Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 29, 2000
    You can do that to still pictures with Adobe Photoshop. Just go to the Filter menu, scroll down to brushstrokes and select crosshatch. The picture quality on the new DVDs are amazing. I've NEVER seen these movies look so good. You can see the texture of Belloq's white suit. My favorite Indy dialogue of all time is from Temple of Doom, in the beginning when Indy's friend posing as a waiter at the nightclub gets shot and before he dies he says:"Not, this time Indy! I followed you on many adventures, but into the great unknown mystery. I go first Indy..." Then the rest of the mellee with the antidote and the diamond is pretty awesome too!

20. Jedi knight Pozzi

Jedi knight Pozzi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 2, 2000
    Does anyone have the figures to see how well the boxset sold?

21. Primetime_Jedi

Primetime_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 21, 2000
    Spielberg's goofy side comes out on some of that old footage.

I wonder if on Schindler's List he poured water into Liam Neeson's lap and said "hello!" in a high pitched voice? ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.