main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Indi, IN Indy Garrison

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by TK-616, May 17, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EMERALD_GREENE

EMERALD_GREENE Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 23, 2001
    Hey Droidboy, what are the sizes of your armor sets???

2. DarthAcroyear

DarthAcroyear Jedi Youngling star 1

May 11, 2002
    I was wondering if you have concidered a date for a Garrison meeting? It might be helpful for those new to the 501ST to meet with some of the older troopers and maybe get some some tips for finishing up or modifying their armor as well as providing an opportunity for the Garrison Commander to meet the new recruits. Also other garrison specific business could be discussed and worked on. I am also wondering how many Tie Pilots we have here already? A friend and I are working on our pilot uniforms and thought in might be interesting if we had some special marking, insignia, braid, or something on are flightsuit or helmet that showed that we are a part of the Indy Garrison's Flight Wing. Maybe a Blue stripe down the side of our flightsuit?

3. thraken76

thraken76 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 19, 2001
    Just a quick update.

I have the web site fleshed out, but not loaded anywhere yet. I don't know if we'll have any regular meetings, but getting together would be good. TK-616 needs to get off his lazy a$$ and talk to a few more people before this all happens.

I'm sure we can tell you all more at the next Indy knights meeting, but once this is done, the garrison will be quite independant of the IK.

SAOA!

4. Hoot

Hoot Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 27, 2002
    I believe I'm already all set for this. I would like to boldy state that I am a spec-op, not to be confused with our clumsy, bad shot, every day TK/Troopers (*runs*). Blood red armor, baby. :)

I believe my callsign is TX-1985.

5. Incom4

Incom4 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 4, 2001
    Good job on the website Kevin!!!!!

6. Incom4

Mar 4, 2001
    I ordered 25 of the small speakers that fit in the aeroators of the Stormtrooper helmet. I should have them in time for the next IK meeting on the 5th if anybody needs some please PM me.

7. Boba_Binks

Boba_Binks Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 7, 2001
    I will take a pair of the speakers for my Armor.

Well, I will talk to you all later.

S.A.O.A. :)

8. TK-616

TK-616 Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 8, 2000
    Troops.

We will talk at the next IK meeting. Things have been busy as of late, but none the less we are making progress. Bring to the next meeting a list of Mods you want done to the suit, ideas for new events and your trooper Designations for Thraken to put on the site.

Tk-616
    CO of the <Name to be announced> Garrison
    SAOA

9. Incom4

Mar 4, 2001
    Speakers are in.

They are not wired up so I am going to go to Radio Shack and get the supplies to pre-wire them.

If any troopers need help to install them I would be more than happy to help.

10. DroidboyB9

DroidboyB9 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 16, 2002
    Only one set of armort is wearable by a human, and its set up for someone like 5'10 or so.

Gregg

11. Hoot

Apr 27, 2002
    Should we bring our trooper suits?

12. Incom4

Mar 4, 2001
    If you need help with it you can bring it.

13. Hoot

Apr 27, 2002
    Okay.. I guess.

14. Hoot

Apr 27, 2002
    Sorry guys.

I can't be part of the Indiana Garrison.

Stupid 501st rules & regulations. Cadets are no longer allowed, they have been eliminated -completely-. That's right. No one under 18 allowed.

Quote -
    MoffSienar
    Trooper
    (5/29/02 3:41:14 am )

Re: Im making my costume...
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hi all,

It is not JUST the Georgia Garrison that has a rule about being 18 to be a member. It is now 501st LEGION policy that candidates be 18 yrs old before they are allowed as FULL members of the 501st. That is directly from Albin and has been agreed upon by Garrison officers. With the club growing as it is, many minors have expressed interest in joining the group. The issue has never been overly important in the past, but with this influx of interest into the group, we must make the issue of safety and legality in terms of minors participating in group events as a paramount concern. There are liability issues to be worked out, as in who is responsible for minor's actions at events (especially if the parent's are not present) as well as guidelines that must be maintained to ensure that any minors present would be "protected". These are complex issues that the 501st, which is NOT a legal entity, are not prepared to deal with at present. The interim solution is to limit membership to those who are legally adults, 18 yrs old, and are thus responsible for their own actions.

While costuming is an all-ages hobby, it usually takes the resources, real-life experiences, and maturity that come with being an "adult" to best promote the ideals that the 501st wants to set. As most regular convention goers can tell you, most cons are NOT 100% appropriate for children to attend. This fact holds true to a LOT of events and parties that are geared for or held in "adult-friendly" venues....such as clubs, bars, etc. There is sometimes smoking, drinking, adult language/humor/conversation.......which are perfectly ok for adults to choose to take part in, but are not appropriate for children (minors) to be subjected to. Also the fact remains that some events offer very little (if any) changing space and members have to dress/undress in semi-public places......like parking decks......right there with the other group members. This can also be seen as being inappropriate for minors. As adults, we can deal with this type situation maturely and without inappropriateness, but in the interest of minors, their presence in such an environment could be uncomfortable and questionable for all parties involved.

The issue is still in a discussion phase amongst the Legion's and Garrison's officers, but for now, it is 18 and above for membership. There may yet come some solution which will allow minors to participate with the group, with limitations, that will take into consideration the best interests of all parties involved.......the group itself, the members, minors, and the legal powers that be. In the past, the few underage members in the group have been considered by Garrison and Legion staff as being "Cadets", which befits some association with the group, but does not grant the benefits and "perqs" of full members. As stated above, this matter had never been a problem in the past, but is now a front-line issue that the group has to discuss and create policy for as part of the club's growing process.

Haziness, misunderstanding, assumption, and confusion in terms of minors' place within the group can no longer be allowed to persist, for the wellbeing of everyone. The idea that minors can have a notarized permission slip for the purpose of allowing them to be a part of the group (here in GA) is just such a misconception. That idea has NEVER been accepted as garrison (or Legion) policy, but was an idea suggested bt a former minor "cadet" member. The fact that all events are different would cancel out the effectiveness of one such "all-in-one" document. Just because one has a written permission slip on this type, it still would not allow for the mi

15. TK624

TK624 Jedi Youngling

May 14, 2002
    TK616,

You need to contact TK895, Mike Washko considering that Indiana is a part of the Midwest Garrison and it's not right for you to decide to start your own garrison without first letting him know about this. And Albin did not give the definite go-ahead on your decision. TK895 contacted him and found out that Albin thought it was possibly a good idea but told you to contact TK895 about this. Please do so.

~TK624

16. thraken76

thraken76 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 19, 2001
    TK624,

You are exactly correct. TK616 has talked with Albin about this, and has (told me) that he has emailed Mike Washko about the new garrison, but not heard back. We certainly would not want any bad blood because of this. Mike and Luis have been very helpful in the past, and we owe them alot. We would not try to go over their helmet ;) and we are talking to those poeple you have named.

BH-1630

17. TK624

TK624 Jedi Youngling

May 14, 2002
    Interesting you mentione dthat he said he emailed Mike because as of 5pm CST, Mike still was waiting on an email from TK616.

Do you all even have enough members to make up an entire garrison? And can you all give good reasons as to why you all want to leave the Midwest? Seems rather ridiculous to me....it really seems as though someone is juts looking to have the title "Garrison Commander" because there really isn't a good reason to leave the garrison, except to show disunity among the 501st's own members.

I live in Louisville, KY. Officially a part of the Southern Garrison. There are only 4 troopers in KY, the majority of the troopers live in NC. Most of the events I participate in are in Chicago. So I hope this isn't some lame excuse of "Illinois is too far away" as rumors have been spreading just that. Because really, I live further from most of the events than anyone in IN and I am able to put forth an effort.

But like I said, as of 5pm CST, Mike had not heard anything and was STILL waiting. If TK616 emailed after that time, I apologize....but if not, then something fishy is really going on.

(yeah, I'm kinda protective of the MG...considering my uncle happens to be the Second-in-Command...Luis).

~TK624

18. Incom4

Mar 4, 2001
    I talked to Mike tonight and he and TK-616 will be getting together soon to discuss the garrison. With C2 and the influx of new members in the MWG I think lines of communications got crossed.

"Do you all even have enough members to make up an entire garrison?"

Yes, currently there are a total of 16:

8 Stormtroopers
    2 Boba Fetts
    1 Biker Scott
    1 Tie Pilot
    4 Imperial Officers

And we also have in the works:

2 Snowtroopers
    1 Jango Fett
    1 Royal Guard
    1 Darth Vader

And can you all give good reasons as to why you all want to leave the Midwest? Seems rather ridiculous to me....

Why have garrisons? Why dont we all just stay under the 501st? Groups grow and when that happpens expansion is needed.
    We are not wanting to leave the MWG for any other reasons other than growth. Growth is progression and the 501st should be happy that a state has enough members to form its own garrison or squad.

it really seems as though someone is juts looking to have the title "Garrison Commander"

That is not even a factor in this. Im the "president" of the Indy Knights does that make me special?....no. Im no more important than any of the other members but I have a title. In any group you have to have a leader thats a given. Wanting to have a Indy garrison so someone can have a title is false.

So I hope this isn't some lame excuse of "Illinois is too far away" as rumors have been spreading just that. Because really, I live further from most of the events than anyone in IN and I am able to put forth an effort.

I do not know where this rumor came from. I read the 501st boards and also the MWG boards and have not seen anything about that. If there is an call out for troopers in Chicago I will try my best to get there. Some of us have wives and children and it is not that easy just to drop everything to head to Chicago for a day.

But like I said, as of 5pm CST, Mike had not heard anything and was STILL waiting. If TK616 emailed after that time, I apologize....but if not, then something fishy is really going on.

I talked with Mike on his cell phone at 8pm Indy time. There is nothing "fishy" going on. Im sure Albin, Mike and Scott (TK-616) will resolve the cummunications problem. When I talked with Mike he thought Indy might need its own garrison or squad. We will follow the rules set forth by the 501st in getting this set up.

Growth and expansion will always happen. If a state has enough members to have its own garrison why not do it?

I have no problem with anyone in the MWG. Hell if I can help a member out I will just ask Albin, Duffy and the Goat. We are all part of the 501st no matter what garrison we are in.

19. JediJeff13

JediJeff13 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2000
    He said "cummunications".

:D

20. DroidboyB9

DroidboyB9 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 16, 2002
    I think with Indianapolis being pretty well the center of the Star Wars universe....

:)

Gregg

21. Naboo Queen

Naboo Queen Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 10, 1999
    Ditto on what Ron said.

22. Sebulba-X

Sebulba-X •X C2 C3 MW RSA• star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2000
    Interesting that even the 501st is subject to internet drama....it clouds everything.

23. Jorg_Sacul_from_C2

Jorg_Sacul_from_C2 Jedi Master star 3

May 30, 2002
    Well, when you boys are ready to take your PVC and toilet seats back to Home Depot, the Rebel Alliance is always looking for more good members... ;)

24. SkylaFett

SkylaFett Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 6, 2001
    Well after what I read, if Keytin can't even be a Cadet then I guess we will have to pass on the group as well. Thanks any way.

Also just to make sure every thing is fair I want to make sure some one tells that little girl from C2 that she can't be part of the Garrison any more.

25. TK624

TK624 Jedi Youngling

May 14, 2002
    This was posted on the Midwest board by the Legion XO:

I just wanted to weigh in here with our (the 501st) position on new formations (some items regarding Indianapolis specifically and others parts about new formations in general).

1) In speaking with Albin, he had basically said that in theory, yes a new Garrison can be formed. However, he said that the person(s) wanting to do so needed to contact Michael Washko to discuss it first.

2) Someone has definitely jumped the gun on this one and all formation activities should cease and desist while we get it worked out (please relay this to any involved parties).

3) We are becoming extremely concerned about folks wanting to form new "Garrisons/Squads" willy nilly. The entire Garrison idea was created by Albin to help the folks administer things locally and to help build unity and esprit de corps for regions. They were not created so folks could break away on a whim or due to a personality conflict etc. This is not to say that new Garrisons can not be formed, but we want to make sure that it is slow, deliberate, well thought out process.

4) To that end (to make sure it is a well thought out process), we are looking at several changes to the way new formations/groups come to be. Some POSSIBLE examples (they are not in order or anything, just listed to give you some idea of what is being discussed)

a) All groups start as either an outpost or squad first.

b) Anyone who believes there is a need for a new squad should approach the local Garrison for the area FIRST.

c) They should discuss any formation of a new group with the entire Garrison membership on their local board and work to form a consensus.

d) Legion Command (i.e. The Captain of the Guard, the Legion CO or XO) should only be approached after a consensus had been reached. If consensus can't be reached (after a LONG LONG LONG local debate), then and only then should the interested parties contact the next step up.

e) E-mails should cc all the interested parties (i.e. the Local CO/XO etc).

f) We may require that Garrison may only be formed after a squad has existed for a set period of time (1 or 2 years). This will help show that the local group actually can support an active role in the Legion.

g) New Garrisons can only be formed if they can show they have the actual numbers of ACTIVE AND APPROVED 501ST MEMBERS. Garrisons can not be formed from folks who are not members or do not have Imperial costumes. If you want to form a generic SW fan club, join the Fan Force or other non costuming club.

h) Anything else the comes up in the debate/discussion we are going to be opening up.

Thank you all for your time.

Tim
    TK-1066
    501st Legion XO

I still don't see how breaking away from a garrison promotes growth more than it does dis-unity....but whatever. I still see no legitimate reason to break away other than the fact that someone wants a title of Garrison Commander, but then again that's my take on it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.