main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Apropos of Nothing - ACKBAR IN CAPITALS - The Lit Forum Social Thread, v2.0.15

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    So on my Robb Stark playthrough of the GoT mod for CKII, I'm currently almost 20 years in. Aegon VI randomly declares himself, yet never seems to actually land. Weird. Theon is now King of the Iron Isles, Mycrella is Queen on the Iron Throne (which only controls the Reach and part of the Crownlands, Bran Stark is Prince Consort of Dorne to Princess Ynys of Dorne, Tommen is lord of Casterly Rock, and I had Joffrey assassinated. I'm slowly working to find a casus belli that would net me the entire Vale, which is ruled by Harry the Heir. Bowen Marsh is Lord Commander of the Night's Watch, and Jon Snow is his successor. Edmure's son is Lord Paramount of the Riverlands, and Rickon is lord of Harrenhal.

2. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    HIGH FIVE.

3. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    As I read this, a huge, silly grin spread across my face. :D

It has yet to leave.

4. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Why is there not an actual RTS game for GOT? I haven't really played a strategy game since Rebellion and I would be all over that.

5. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    There is, but it is really, really bad.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/58550/

RC-1991 likes this.
  6. RC-1991

Dec 2, 2009
    There's also a War of the 5 Kings mod for Medieval II: Total War: Kingdoms. Though it's rather barebones.

As for strategy games, I would recommend either Company of Heroes or the Total War series.

7. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Yeah, actual gaming options for ASOIAF are very limited... because all the gaming contracts were signed before the HBO show came out, so it's all really poor indie developers (and not the creative sort of indie developers at that!). Thus, mods for other strategy games are your only choice...

The Medieval II mod supposedly has a lot of good things in the pipeline, but at the moment we can only get at an early alpha version. Consequently the CK2 mod is the best we're gonna get.

As for strategy recommendations in general, I will second the Total War recommendation. Order of quality (imo): Rome: Total War (especially with the Europa Barbarorum mod, which is infused with so much history that you might read a 1000 word description of a single random barbarian barracks building and end up learning a heck of a lot -- also all the units in this mod speak in their native languages. It's not completely accurate: the Parthians speak the Sassanid dialect of middle Persian instead of Imperial Aramaic or Pahlavi but it does better than anything else does -- there are 5 different dialects of Greek alone for various factions), Napoleon: Total War (purely for the setting), Shogun II: Total War (the most polished release to date, until Rome II comes out next year that is), Medieval II: Total War (more modern engine than Rome, and it has great overhaul mods -- just none that approach RTW, although there is supposedly an amazing LOTR total conversion that's basically reconstructed LOTR cities and the like in the game), Empire: Total War (only one with a global scope, but really superficial feeling), and then you have the old ones like the original Medieval or Shogun which are supposedly entertaining but I've never played 'em.

So of the modern games, Rome is the oldest -- but it's also the bestselling out of all their games for a reason. RTW is in my "holy trinity" of video games along with TIE Fighter and Morrowind.

Crusader Kings II - if you buy this game, expect to have no free time ever. Every person I've recommended this game to is basically an addict now. It really ought to be included in my list of best games ever considering how much I love it, but then it wouldn't be a trinity anymore...

:D

He actually seemed pleased that I cared enough to call him out on it. That was my favorite part of undergrad: just like on the boards, I tend to be contrarian and reject the accepted dogma, but professors seem to love it when a student actually engages the material. There's a distinction between, you know, the jerk who refuses to accept anything on principle and argues with the professor and someone who engages the professor's actual arguments on their own merits.

That's why I got an A+ in women's studies despite disagreeing with everything the professor said. The ironic part is that years later I feel like I might actually agree with her now, amusingly enough. :p

But yeah in most of my classics courses, I was steadfastly pro-Senate. When we got to the part about Christianity being attractive because it provided a role for all the poor people or something in a way that Greco-Roman secular/pagan government did not, I was like pah! How dare those upstarts threaten the established order. I had a lot of fun in undergrad.

8. RC-1991

Dec 2, 2009
    I'm more at the "junkie" stage of CKII addiction than the "every waking moment is spent figuring out how to lay a claim to all of the lands once ruled by the Roman Empire" stage, I'll have you know :p

Coop, if you end up buying Medieval 2: Kingdoms, I can recommend some fantastic mods for it. Stainless Steel, Broken Crescent and Third Age: Total War are excellent, with TATW being quite possibly the best Lord of the Rings game that I have ever played.

Ulicus likes this.
  9. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    The only reason I'm ever not playing CK2 at any given moment is because I'm waiting for the excellence that is new CK2 DLC to be released.

10. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Back when I did play the GOT mod for ASOIAF, I mostly did it for hilarity. I'd play as the Mad King and force my vassals to wed each other. I betrothed Cersei to Walder Frey and Margaery Tyrell to Viserys Targaryen.

AND THEY HAD TO OBEY BECAUSE I AM THE KING BWAHAHAHAH...*cough* *gag* *ack* sorry, I was just choking over how awesome I am.

Point Given likes this.
  11. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    C'mon, guys, go low tech! Fantasy Flight has an awesome GOT board game.

12. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    During my hurricane party, I had a bunch of people over with the intent to play that game. We looked at the rule book and cried. So we passed the rule book around, divvying up the book into sections for us to digest and explain to everyone else in an attempt to utilize our collective intellects to figure the game out.

Eventually we concluded that figuring out how to play that board game would take all the time we had allocated for said party, and we gave up.

13. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    The more complicated the game, the more I love it.​

I would probably recommend next time the Battlestar Galactica game (base set only) because it's less about the rules and more about people making crazy accusations that someone is a robot. It's great fun.​

14. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    I heard about that game! I know some other JCers who play it -- if we could get a set here, I'd definitely be able to convince my friends to play it, since many of them are familiar with the show. The problem is, I've already bought the AGOT game and we've never played it -- I don't want to buy another pricey board game and never have it used. :p

15. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    Yes, you really need to sit down and watch the later ones. At least, TNG and DS9.

Note that the first couple of seasons of DS9 were ... not bad, but not strong, either. You'll have to stick them out in order to get to some of the best Star Trek ever aired.

A big enough thing that Isaac Asimov wrote about it.

And Green Ronin has an RPG with some very interesting mechanics. I'm reading it now, and while I have doubts I will ever run a campaign set in Westeros, I might use the system to run a homebrew setting with heavy politicking. I'm particularly impressed by the game's unusually crunchy approach to social conflict, and its system for creating noble houses.

16. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    [face_laugh] Guys totally need to read that -- Still relevant to today!

17. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    I'm addicted to Wales -> Britannia games. Seriously addicted. Destroying the Kingdom of England and doing everything I can to obliterate Saxon/Norman/English culture (whatever it is at the time) is absurdly appealing.

I don't know what it is about betraying my ancestors that I like so much.

I started as Prince "Count" Caradog of Gwent, most recently, which has turned out to be many times more satisfying than the normal King "Duke" of Gwynedd start I employ. Though it was also an easier start than I expected, given Caradog begins with a strong claim on the Kingdom Duchy of Deheubarth. I hung around improving my stats, throwing cheap summer fairs, feasts with two vassals and going on hunts while I waited to build up enough money to field the Breton Band (got to keep it Celtic!) of mercenaries, then swiftly took control. Vassalised Glamorgan, then pressed *his* claim on Powys, dishonorably kicking the Lords of Gwynedd (who'd been educating my kids extraordinarily well!) in the teeth, then despaired a little as the vile English attacked the weakened Gwynedd and ate into the borders of the de jure Kingdom of Wales, knowing wresting it back from the extraordinarily powerful Norman England (and I mean extraordinarily -- in this game they basically conquered the entirety of northern France, and the Kingdom of Aquitaine formed in the south to balance them) would be a chore.

Oh, and much to my amusement, Aquitaine ended up a theocracy fifty years down the line, ruled by a "King-Bishop". I was very, very tickled.

RC-1991 likes this.
  18. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    Actually, I was already level 11 not simply level 10 in Skyrim, but now I am level 13 very close to level 14.

19. RC-1991

Dec 2, 2009
    Just FYI, werewolves are far more fun than Vampire Lords, though the lore behind Elder Scrolls vampires is equally, if not more interesting than that of lycanthropes.

20. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Hmm, learned a bit more about House Hlaalu. I don't want to spoil any of the minor quests set in Raven Rock, but you do encounter some. Redoran is definitely the power though. Though I gather that after Oblivion Crisis, the eruption of the volcano, and the Argonian invasion that the Dunmer aren't exactly a major power. But there is potential there.

--Adm. Nick

21. The_Forgotten_Jedi

The_Forgotten_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 12, 2010
    I'm trying to figure out how the Telvanni are still around. Most of their holdings were on Vvardenfell, and according to that side quest journal you retrive for Brand-Shei, the Argonians wiped what most of what was left. So how the heck did Neloth manage to survive? And once you've done enough quests for him, he

makes you a member of the House and promises you great power once he returns to the Telvanni holdings on Vvardenfell!

22. RC-1991

Dec 2, 2009
    Well, that's even better. I can't wait for it to finally hit PC. It would be nice to see the Dunmer regain prominence without Dres, Telvanni and the Indoril dragging them down. Though those groups also added a lot of unique flavor and depth to Dunmer culture.

I find it funny that Tamriel is one of the few contexts where mine and Jello's political leanings actually align.

EDIT: eh, they're the definition of head-in-the-clouds wizards. I'm sure that some still haven't even realized that Red Mountain erupted :p

The one small downside to all of this is that this forum post from the official forums is now almost certainly non-canon. Oh well, can't have everything.

23. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Since this is the social thread, I'm going to go and say that let's not go and assume that my jabberings on the boards have anything remotely to do with my actual political leanings, mkay? :p

Also I highly appreciate the use of spoiler tags guys, thanks. :)

24. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    In fact, in real life Jello is a communist.

25. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    I will end you.

Ris_jSarek likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.