main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Apropos of Nothing - ACKBAR IN CAPITALS - The Lit Forum Social Thread, v2.0.15

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    I hear he's a closet Mothmatist, as well.

2. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    So apparently if you reach the highest level possible in Skyrim (Level 81), Dragonborn has a little surprise for you...

3. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    Found Star Wars: Rebellion for $3 yesterday. [face_cowboy] :cool:

4. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    They really need to make a sequel to that. And/Or to Empire at War. And honestly to Force Commander. And a Battlefront III without Heroes and built on the Frostbite II engine.

5. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Dear LucasArts:
    Please make a sequel to every game you ever made.
    Sincerely,
    The JC

CooperTFN, Zeta1127 and Havac like this.
  6. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    You could make a sequel to Rebellion that used EaW style mechanics for fleet and ground actions, but Rebellion mechanics for the strategy parts.

7. Arrian

Aug 15, 2011
    Just what I was thinking as I turned it on for the first time last night. I love that you can use diplomacy!

8. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    It's also chock full of random EU characters -- some of whom I still don't even know outside of the game. It's from an era where LEC actually cared about the EU :p

9. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    I never liked the ground battles in EaW. Of course, the space battles more than made up for it.

10. RC-1991

Dec 2, 2009
    The ground battles is EaW were categorically awful. Even the mod community hasn't really fixed the problems, though Republic at War at least made it bearable. Agreed on the Space battles. Thrawn's Revenge and Phoenix Rising are phenomenal EaW mods btw.

11. Arrian

Aug 15, 2011
    I never had the download quota to get Thrawn's Revenge, unfortunately. Also I remember one mod that I wanted to get which faithfully recreated the Black Fleet Crisis, down to creating its own briefing holograms and other stuff like that.

12. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Thankfully, we've got Force Commander for the ground battles.

I WILL NOT HEAR YOUR COMPLAINTS.

13. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    That is the one game I never played, Hav. And I know you have always spoke highly of it. I guess I better find a way to pick it up. :p

--Adm. Nick

14. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Game had rad music.

15. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Wait, you never played FoCom? I thought you'd be all over that. It shows the fall of Coruscant!

* seeing the Imperial Palace in a video game, in the proper McQuarrie style, is still one of the coolest things.

16. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    I use Force Commander music for my audio adaptation. It's great.

17. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Yeah, I don't know why Force Commander is the forgotten SW game. I think that Galactic Battlegrounds should be the most forgettable, considering that it's really nothing more than a mod of another game.

Force Commander had a Battle of Hoth that I enjoyed playing. That's how fun it is.

Havac likes this.
  18. RC-1991

Dec 2, 2009
    Yeah, but Galactic Battlegrounds had Simon the Killer Ewok!

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  19. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    Unfortunately, I have played Galactic Battlegrounds and Empire at War, but not Force Commander. I don't have many LA games from the 90s, because I never had a computer until 2003.

20. Havac

Sep 29, 2005
    You'll probably have a hell of a time finding it, but be aware that it's a critically reviled game. The number one complaint I've seen is that the camera is hard to control, but I've never had any problems with it whatsoever. I haven't been able to get it to install on my latest laptop, though.

If you do find a copy that'll run, though, you ought to enjoy it. I think I enjoy the Imperial campaign a little more than the Rebel campaign, but the Rebel units are excellent, the storyline is fun, and the Rebel characters are solid. Plus, you'll get to see a lot more of the conquest of Coruscant.

21. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    GBG had some decent moments, and used a little EU. I also really enjoyed playing as the Royal Naboo (yes -- I played as them instead of the Empire, because they had prettier buildings. What?)

edit: I remember having a devil of a time getting FoCom to run on Windows 7, but I was able to manage it... not sure what I did. I think I may have either manually installed the thing from the .cab files and then added registry entries for the game myself OR used somebody else's tool that basically did the same thing.

The whole BHCI idea for the interface was pretty clever. And as frustrating as "command points" were, they also made sense. It's also the only game ever that I've *liked* the Tatooine levels. :p

22. RC-1991

Dec 2, 2009
    I had a mod for GBG that turned the Naboo special cavalry into Riders of Rohan. It was awesome.

23. Havac

Sep 29, 2005
    I think the fact that my system is 64-bit also has something to do with its refusal to install.

24. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Yeah, sorry, I guess I should have made that clear -- I've been running x64 since like Vista I think. That's why it's an installer issue and not a game issue -- the installer is 16-bit, which x64 systems won't do, whereas the game itself is 32-bit. But basically you have to get the files copied and the registry entries added as if you were installing it with the normal installer.

Looks like I'd installed it on my other computer, so I can't check on it until this weekend. Probably have my FoCom CD here with me somewhere though... if I weren't writing a take-home exam right now I'd take a look at the disc and see if it was something I was able to do myself or had to get a tool to do.

edit: Incidentally, that's also how you get Rebellion working on an x64 system. Lucky for us, Rebellion is as simple as copying over a bunch of raw files and adding reg entries manually... AND there are third party tools because Rebellion is still a supported game. Somebody even made an x64 executable for the game to be able to run in windowed mode so that you don't kill your computer by changing the color scheme to 256 colors and an outrageously low resolution.

25. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    The Vizio TV I had to use as a monitor for the past few months hasn't allowed me to play many games (CnC Generals and Zero Hour, BfME series, BF2, Stronghold and Crusader, AoE 1 and 2, Galactic Battlegrounds, and Battlefront 2) due to the fact it doesn't like their resolutions, though I did find a work around for AoE 1 and Battlefront 2, but it is still a pain. Fortunately, that shouldn't be much of a problem anymore if the new monitor works out when I finally set it up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.