main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Apropos of Nothing - ACKBAR IN CAPITALS - The Lit Forum Social Thread, v2.0.15

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Lost is the only show I watch fresh on TV. How can I pass up a show with a quantum physicist as one of the main characters?

2. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    Just be very careful not to let your higher-level NPC overshadow the other characters. That's one problem one of my GMs has - he sometimes has difficulty remembering that the game is about the PCs, and that his uber-leet "mentor" and "support" NPCs should stay in the background unless there's a PC-related reason for them not to.

Some good rules of thumb:

If it's something one of the PCs can do, let the PC do it, even if the NPC is technically better.

If there's a main villain or villains, they should be engaged by the PCs, not the NPC, unless the villain is good enough to take them all on at once.

If a plan is needed, the players should always have at least half a Mountain Dew* worth of time to figure one out before the NPC chimes in with something.

Whenever appropriate, send the NPC off Obi-Wan style to accomplish a different part of the mission; that way, they can't interfere with the PCs' immediate situation, but can still show up in a reasonable amount of time to do rescuing. If the players need advice, you can always arrange a comlink call at an opportune moment.

These are rules of thumb; there will be times when ignoring them will be what's best for the story you folks are telling, and as you gather experience as a GM and get to know your players as players, you'll learn when those times are. But, for now, it's probably best to follow them to the letter.

*1 Mountain Dew = the time it takes to drink one 355 mL can of soda, which, since you are playing an RPG, will almost assuredly be Mountain Dew. Note that if you do the smart thing and save money by buying two-liter bottles and drinking from glasses, telling time will become more difficult.

3. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002

355ml? Our MD come in 375ml cans.

I watched the first Lost season, no more. The glacial pace wasn't engaging. I wanted to know what the monster was. There was a tv promo saying it would be revealed. I waited eagerly--

They lied!

Hood take them. It didn't show the monster. I was deceived. Tricked. My trust battered, but I phoenixed smarter, wiser. And when they showed the inexplicity that was Smokey I threw in the towel, so long honey. I've watched bits and bytes, but just not interested.

4. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    Over here, they worry about metric as an afterthought; the cans are 12 fluid ounces, which rounds to 355 mL.

Yet, for some reason, soda comes in two-leader bottles instead of half gallon bottles. Never understood why large soda bottles are the one exception to the "metric as an afterthought" rule.

5. S1thari

S1thari Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 13, 2008
    There are actually some really good shows on TV right now. Usually I'll stick to about 1 or 2, but there are at least 5-6 I watch regularly: Battlestar Galactica, Sarah Connor Chronicles, Fringe, Damages, House, Burn Notice, The Beast, Dollhouse, Lost (eh, I'm off and on with this one) and Life on Mars, to name a few. Unfortunately I work nearly every night until 11, so with most I have to catch up on Hulu or whatever.

6. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    Blame whoever makes your regional promos - the producers have stated they aren't revealing that secret until the end of the series... ;)

7. RebelJoseWales

RebelJoseWales Jedi Master star 3

Sep 10, 2008
    Back in the 70's, Congress tried to force a conversion to metric. The soda industry was the only one to actually comply before the whole thing fell flat on its face. That's why milk and orange juice and such still generally come in gallon or quart jugs, while soda comes in one or two liter bottles.

8. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Battlestar Galactica, Sarah Connor Chronicles, 24 & Lost are definitely the 4 best shows on TV right now.

I'm following Dollhouse, but it's not outright great but I'm gonna give it a chance to see what Whedon has up his sleeve for it. I started watching Fringe earlier this season, and I enjoyed it quite a bit but took it off my Tivo Season Pass Manager to cut back on the amount of TV I was watching, but I'll definitely catch up with it on DVD. Might even add it back onto my Tivo if I drop Heroes next year (if there is a next season) since that continues to go down hill despite moments of goodness.

Life on Mars looks good- I've caught an episode or two since it's one of the shows I record for my mom but thats ending this season now. Burn Notice looks quite good, but I just haven't had time for it- and I'm still a bit mifed at USA for canceling The 4400.

I also enjoyed Sanctuary- it took a few episodes for it to get some momentum but I like where they've been going with it overall. Not a must-see but entertaining.

Really looking forward to Stargate Universe, though- as that franchise is really addicting and fun.

In the summer I really enjoy Eureka- it's a nice change of pace to have some light fare like that.

Knight Rider is my guilty pleasure- it's not a great show and certainly not for everyone but I thoroughly enjoy it (even if they shortchanged the KARR plotline potential).

And of course, when they eventually come back, Doctor Who and Torchwood are solid fun complements to friday programming.

On the non-drama/unscripted front, my Tivo grabs Mythbusters, Ghost Hunters/International, Human Weapon and I used to record both The Universe and Cities of the Underworld, but cut them for time, though i might add them back in over the summer when recording is light.

I recorded the first season or two of Future Weapons also, but after the first couple episodes of Season 2 they ran out of the really cool future-y stuff and it kinda just became a commercial for the latest normal guns and that was completely uninteresting so I dropped that pretty quick.

The Daily Show, The Colbert Report, Important Things with Demetri Martin, Simpsons, Family Guy, American Dad, Code Monkeys and a couple Adult Swim shows like Venture Bors, Metalocalypse and Aqua Teen Hunger Force round out my comedy lineup.

9. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    I caught two episodes of the American Life on Mars after Lost... however, ABC just announced they are cancelling the show.

10. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    I figured it was related to that, though it still leaves me wondering why the bottles are in liters but the cans are in ounces.

11. Excellence

Jul 28, 2002

Saw the second episode of Life on Mars. People's bias to "queer" gay folk. It's okay but once I start watching I have to keep watching. Doesn't really catch my interest.

What?

Knight Rider? What Knight Rider? Voltron's green bicep, why do you get all the exciting shows we're stuck with dancing auditions?

12. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    To everyone in #eu last night:

Sorry, and thanks for putting up with my drama. Everything worked out okay.

13. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    We still get those too- they just have "stars" in them ;)

They tested out a new Knight Rider series (a series that's mostly a sequel to the original, focusing on the son of Michael Knight, also named Mike) last year during the writer's strike with a TV movie headed by the guy who ran the Las Vegas series on NBC. It went to series this past fall under new a showrunner who was involved with The Fast & the Furious among other things.

Initially it had them working for the government as a special opertaives type deal, but ratings eventually started to tank (perhaps if NBC didn't make the absolute most horrific episode previews for the series, people might tune in to see if it's more than babes, fights and celebrity cameos) so mid-season they retooled the series, getting rid of half the cast (unfortunately the better actors) and repurposing their mission to being more akin to the original series- one man making a difference for regular people. Both stretches of the show worked, IMO- but I do like the retooled stuff better so far.

The interplay between Mike and KITT has become pretty amusing in the past few episodes, as KITT becomes more human in personality (from his more HAL-9000 dry initial personality). Also, though the episode as a whole failed to capture much of the appeal or psychology behind the original KARR, they did bring back Peter Cullen to voice him/the new robot so points there.

One bit of meta-amusement I have with the series is the actor who played Billy on BSG plays a character named Billy on KR- and this for a guy who says he doesn't really care for Sci-Fi stuff.

Rumor flying is if it gets a second season, they're going to bring The Hoff onboard as a recurring character for a father/son dynamic (he made a cameo in the TV movie but hasn't been in the series yet).

14. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    *huggles*

Anytime, deary, and you don't need to apologize. You were entertaining and you know us, we like entertainment. :p

15. Katana_Geldar

Katana_Geldar Jedi Grand Master star 8

Mar 3, 2003
    Dave has been talking me though GMing when I get on the hat everynow and then, which isn't that often as it used to be. It's actually great to have people to go to for inane questions about obvious things that the manual doesn't explain, like about skill checks.

From what I gather, the last edition of SW RPG was somewhat like KOTOR, is this true?

BTW, I tested out doing a space battle and it was FUN! But I could not stop humming "Here they Come" during it and for almost two days afterwards.

Da da da da Da Da!

16. S1thari

S1thari Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 13, 2008
    They're cancelling Life on Mars?? Whatever for? I thought that was a great show, a good plot and great actors - Michael Imperioli especially. Didn't think I'd ever see him on another tv show after Sopranos..

Also, another really good series is Showtime's Dexter. I don't have Showtime right now, but I did buy the first 2 season box sets and was completely enamored by it. I watched them both in 2 nights - awesome show.

Burn Notice is also a good one - in fact, the season finale is on tonight. I never truly got into the 4400 myself, although it was getting pretty awesome toward the end, I guess there wasn't enough viewers to keep it alive.

BSG is, hands down, my favorite show on right now. Nothing really beats it. Too bad there are only what? 3 episodes left? But I'm also excited for Caprica, as well...

17. Katana_Geldar

Katana_Geldar Jedi Grand Master star 8

Mar 3, 2003
    The UK show was supposed to be better where as the US one just had him living in the 70's.

And yes, I like The Skyhooks :cool:

18. RebelJoseWales

Sep 10, 2008
    I spend one day out of town, and everything happens while I'm gone.

19. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    There is only one Life on Mars you nonces and it isn't in America!

[image=http://kjohn.files.wordpress.com/2008/06/gene-hunt-sam-tyler.jpg]

Seriously, watch the original. Like Yojimbo is better than A Fistful of Dollars, so is it here.

20. RebelJoseWales

Sep 10, 2008
    I've never watched either version of Life on Mars, so I can't say. But I do know this: Fistful of Dollars is in every way better than Yojimbo.

21. Excellence

Jul 28, 2002

I demand Knight Rider for Aust. [face_not_talking]

22. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Never started watching Life On Mars. I think I probably should get round to it.

I didn't know you were an #eu frequenter, Jose. Do you use a different handle?

23. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    So, I'm a Mac owner that recently ran Bootcamp to install Windows XP, as I was getting sick of not being able to play video games. Suffice to say, it's awesome just to have that ability back, but I've gone and made my Windows side absolutely awesome over the last few days with some freeware programs, so I figured I'd write a post about it here detailing what I've added and what it does.

-Objectdock. A handier alternative to the Start/All Program menu. I keep the programs I use regularly on it. It's available for download here:

Object Dock

-VirtuaWin. This is what really made my Windows side awesome; it's a program that creates a virtual window for each individual program you've got running. I absolutely hate how cluttered the basic windows desktop & taskbar can get, so this program was a Godsend for me, particularly as I usually have five or six programs running at any given time. It's available for download here:

VirtuaWin

-Jing. This is the best freeware screen-capture software I've ever used. It even makes an automatic url if you want to upload a pic of your screen. You can download it here:

Jing

-Avira AntiVir. This is a pretty darn good antivirus/spyware program. My old antispyware took a few hours to screen my entire system; this takes about twenty minutes and runs quietly in the background. It's available here:

Antivir

I also unlocked my taskbar and kicked it to the top of the screen.

This is how my desktop looks now:

screenshot

24. RebelJoseWales

Sep 10, 2008
    Nope, I just generally lurk.

25. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    I think you're the only other person I know who does that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.