main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Apropos of Nothing - ACKBAR IN CAPITALS - The Lit Forum Social Thread, v2.0.15

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    I'll definitely watch it at some point. Whenever that happens to be, I'm thinking of starting with the 2005 relaunch. Still, missing out on eight doctors feels like I'd be missing so much history, and I get the impression a lot of context would be lost.

2. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    I tend to play a stealth-type character. It just feels natural to me; I always played a Rogue on Morrowind and Oblivion. Magic on those games has always felt awkward. Specifically, I'm currently playing a Dunmer noble who was fled political intrigue in Morrowind. And I completely agree on the dialogue in Elder Scrolls. As much as I love the series, player dialogue in particular is atrocious. There's no room in the dialogue to come off as educated, or even vaguely knowledgeable.

And Elder Scrolls plots haven't really been up to snuff since Morrowind, a game that went far beyond its genre- its medium, even. The real strength of Skyrim is that it (sometimes unwittingly) incorporates the deep, rich, utterly trippy Elder Scrolls lore in a better manner than Oblivion. It's a world where every culture's interpretation of the gods holds some truth, and characters become aware that they are in a video game. It's a lore that is revealed through snippets of dialogue and lore books, rather than just thrown at you.

3. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000

That makes me sad, but I suspected as much. All my console-gaming friends were like IT'S JUST LIKE MORROWIND but they're Oblivion fans, so I don't think they really knew what they were talking about. I guess I'll just give it a pass then. I still have yet to finish Skyrim's main plot, even.

It's just not comparable to Morrowind. Morrowind is STILL fun and the story still fresh and engaging. And the best part of it is that every faction, every group, every everything had a story and a backstory just as compelling as the main story. It was just such a rich setting. Skyrim may be leaps and bounds above Oblivion (and a step back in the right direction) but it just simply cannot compare.

4. RC-1991

Dec 2, 2009
    Like I said, it's fun mainly for the nostalgia factor and how it brings you up to speed on Dunmer/Solstheim affairs post-Red Year (DUNMER REPRESENT). It's definitely the best Skyrim DLC so far, but not worth $20.

God, I wish Kirkbride, Rolston and Carafano would take Bethesda by storm. The writing team could definitely use it.

5. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Bah, you kids with your Morrowindisms. Get off my virtual lawn. :p

I generally don't do fantasy first-persons, so kudos to Bethesda for sucking me in with Oblivion/Skyrim. It helped that they did Fallout, because, well... I love Fallout. If my icon didn't make that indirectly obvious.

6. RC-1991

Dec 2, 2009
    Heh. NEW VEGAS UBER ALLES.

blackmyron likes this.
  7. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who gets so annoyed it's impossible to play a character who doesn't come off as an idiot. It's a very minor part of the gameplay, but I feel just a few alternations could make it so much more enjoyable. I actually felt Fallout 3 did a good job with it (have not played New Vegas yet, sadly)

On the Skyrim note, I really need to get it for PC. Some mods look incredibly fun; Oblivion was certainly made a much better game with mods.

8. RC-1991

Dec 2, 2009
    Some day, somehow, Obsidian will make an Elder Scrolls game, and will collaborate with Kirkbride on it. And It shall glorious.

And you need to play New Vegas- it's Fallout 3, but better in every way. Weapons mods, actual morality, actual RPG gameplay that affects the storyline and endings (there's four distinct endings, and that's just looking purely at the main quest- that's not counting the dozens of combinations of ending settings that are affected by side-quests, and the DLC are mostly worth it). Skyrim is superior on PC- there's mods that fix any lore issues, add in hilarious Sheogorath-inspired loading screens, take care of unsolved bugs, and allow you to kill people with a lightsaber/Sauron's Mace. It's pretty real.

instantdeath likes this.
  9. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Yeah F:NV is leaps and bounds over Fo3 and is certainly replayable in a way that 3 never was (due to its linearity). I've made various different kinds of characters, though my favorite will continue to be this really, really, really old dude with glasses who basically has no strength (no carrying capacity) and no endurance (fragile as hell) but he's a total mofo with energy weapons and has insane science / repair skills.

What can I say? I like hilariously non-traditional character builds. :p

10. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    From what I've heard, New Vegas is what you expect from an Obsidian sequel. Gameplay improvements, significantly stronger writing, and a plethora of bugs that causes the fanbase to complain in a disproportionate amount. I'll have to play it soon. Later, though. First I must finish Planescape: Torment.

Jello, for some reason I felt compelled to make my Fallout 3 character an expert in science as well. It just, I don't know, felt right, considering your dad.

11. patchworkz7

patchworkz7 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 26, 2004
    I agree with you on F:NV but there were some bugs in the game that could be extremely annoying.

That said; I think people forget that Fo3 had its fair share of bugs as well.

I must have gotten lucky, because I never ran into the game ruining bugs that some players described in the early versions. I'm to understand that later patches mostly fixed the more serious bugs.

I'm not sure I ever really found Fo3 that linear, tbh, but I can sorta see what you mean. I think F:NV actually gave you a lot more in the way of options except for the fact that I wish Caeser's legion was less "mwahaha" evil and could be seen more on the same level as the others.

RC-1991 likes this.
  12. RC-1991

Dec 2, 2009
    Caesar's Legion suffered massively from the deadline that Obsidian had to deal with- originally, you would be able to explore Legion Arizona IIRC. While Caesar would probably still come across as A) as Jello put it, A more competent Mussolini or B) as I've put it elsewhere, dancing to the music without really hearing the lyrics, the Legion still deserved its fair look. It's why I'm looking forward to Wasteland 2 and Project: Eternity- Obsidian gets to work on its own timeline.

I also have to add that I ended up analyzing NV cursorily via some of the concepts I learned in some of my university-level history classes, and concluding that the NCR was the Mojave's best hope for the future.

13. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Personally, I think F3 is far better than NV.

I haven't played Morrowind, maybe I'll pick it up on Steam. Just tell me it doesn't have the same leveling system as Oblivion...

14. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Sadly it does -- but there are a lot of mods that make it better. The one I have makes it so that your attributes are directly raised by raising skills they govern, so you no longer have that weird multiplier system at all.

But leveling feels better than in Oblivion because enemies don't scale with you. All enemies have a set strength, so you both feel a distinct growth in your character but there are also challenges that WILL utterly destroy you. You can -- if you want -- try to take on a living god at level 1. I wouldn't recommend it though. :p

15. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    I hate Oblivion's system of having enemies level with you. It seems to still be there in Skyrim, but it's handled so much better.

16. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    Ulicus - that video was actually rather poignant, but also very well done, especially the Doctor talking at the beginning.

17. krtmd

krtmd Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    AdmiralNick22 - so my husband and I starting watching "House of Cards" last night. Being a DC girl myself, I can get behind anything set in my fair city, and I'd forgotten Robin Wright Penn was in it, and I love her. But I was really taken aback by Kevin Spacey's character breaking the fourth wall. For some reason, it came across as cutesy to me, rather than as an effective narrative device. Just me?

That said, I thought the pilot episode set up a good plot that naturally drew me in, and despite my reservations, I definitely plan to watch more to see where it goes.

18. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    The initial time that Congressman Francis Underwood breaks the fourth wall was a bit odd to me as well, but to be honest it really grows on me as he does it in subsquent episodes. It also helps you, as the series goes on, distinguish between moments he is being a total politician and moments where he actually comes across human. Kevin Spacey does a fantastic job and I really hope that the series is nominated for some sort of award.

Robin Wright as Claire Underwood is another fantastic casting decision. Ditto for the actor playing Congressman Russo.

I am on episode 8 right now and I cannot wait to see what happens next.

--Adm. Nick

19. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    It's one of the defining parts of the original series, and probably the one thing that keeps it from being just another generic political series for me.

20. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    krtmd high-five @ DC ... err, people! Can't join you on the girl part, alas. :p

krtmd likes this.
  21. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I'm looking forward to seeing how the House of Cards experiment turns out- releasing the entire season at once ties back to the earlier discussion on marathon viewing.

Netflix sees that people most often marathon a show, so their trying to break the mold and cater to that new approach to TV chewing.

Hopefully it'll catch on and we can have fewer shows get cancelled/lost among other content before they get to show where they're going (Caprica, SGU, etc).

22. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Gah, I just watched episodes 9-10. I am sooo adicted. I am doing everything in my power not to watch 11-12 tonight. I am trying to stretch out this series as much as possible. Something big happens in episode 10 that makes me dying to see more!

--Adm. Nick

23. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Zen Studios on their SW Pinball Tables:

"When Zen Studios went to Lucasarts about a year ago, they offered a straightforward pitch for a series of Star Wars-themed pinball tables. OK, here's the Original Trilogy pack: Star Wars, The Empire Strikes Back, Return of the Jedi. OK, now here are the three prequels ...

"They said no," said Neil Sorens, Zen's creative director, "we want you to explore. Go into the expanded universe, get into the characters, everything. 'We'd like you to pull out some surprising and interesting stuff.'""

So what did they come up with for their two non-film-themed (one is ESB) tables? Boba Fett and the TCW movie.

[face_plain]

24. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Yeah, like I said earlier in the thread -- I find it all too easy to marathon a show, and it's annoying. I want to string them out, and it's hard not to just click "next episode" every time. :p

And oh yes, that's some really obscure EU they're going with there. What creative and risky trailblazing!

25. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    The Fett choice is lazy (understandable, marketable fan service, but lazy as far as an EU choice goes) though the TCW movie as a choice is very odd- why not a more popular storyline/episode? A Krell table would be absolutely gorgeous. Even a Malevolence or Kamino assault would be far more interesting and versatile.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.