main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Apropos of Nothing - ACKBAR IN CAPITALS - The Lit Forum Social Thread, v2.0.15

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    Kinky too, with lassos, and feathering, and brushes, and soft blur...

Ris_jSarek and Gorefiend like this.
  2. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    And that pressure sensitivity!

3. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    You know, you should really use the "quote" function here so it's clear who you were replying to... :p

TrakNar likes this.
  4. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    Maybe some of us have seen the full RPG :p

TrakNar likes this.
  5. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    *blinks*

Well, this is now the most exciting social thread on the boards.

6. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    RC-1991 There we go -- wrote 10 pages / 2,906 words of this accursed paper tonight. How long did you have for your draft, again? :p

This paper will be the death of me. I don't know how I'm going to hit 8000 words on a topic where even the special rapporteur writing the UN reports concedes there is a paucity of practice. Bah, BAH!

(just thought this thread was getting a little too exciting lately, so I thought I'd insert an ounce of boredom!)

7. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    Don't worry, your boredom is our amusement.

8. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    Well, I have 20-25 pages due on Friday. "Citizenship, Identity, and Imperial Control: Roman Italy on the Eve of the Social War". I need to re-outline the damned thing later today. At least my rough rough draft went over well.

So, the campaign AI on Napoleon: Total War is hard but exploitable on hard difficulty.

9. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    I hate papers so much. I'm probably the least organized person you'll ever meet, so outlines and rough drafts are completely foreign to me. No matter how many times I tell myself I'll do better, whenever a paper is due, I find myself writing it, armed only with a potentially lethal amount of caffeine, in one long, excruciating sitting. The sad part is that it works. I just hate color for the next few days.

10. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    I don't miss essays at all.

Jedi Ben and MistrX like this.
  11. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    This forum is weird. I'll continue it, by reviewing the fifth episode of the second season of GOT in Star Wars literature forum. No propaganda shot this week. Move along.

[​IMG]

STANNIS! He was right! He was right and now he is dead! I'll... I'll keep watching, but just to see you dying in the most humiliating way possible.

I don't know how many of you who first read the novels even paid much attention to Renly. No way there was even that much of him in them, and surely not enough to raise him as anyone's favorite character. But he was that. He was someone I could call a king (in democratic way). To whom am I supposed to pledge my sword now? Stannis, who used a cheat code to get a clean victory? Joffrey... surely you can't be serious. Robb, who is a nice kid and leads his armies well, but do I still think that good soldiers make for good kings? Besides, he wants only the North. Daenerys, who is on the other side of the world? It took her half a season to get food, I don't think she will be a player soon.

The map looks very different from what it was last week. Renly has no army, Tyrells have only their own troops, and Stannis has more troops than any other player. Good thing the Lannisters don't surrender, instead they start to meddle in things they don't understand. That's bound to end well.

Melisandre! There! That's her name! Thanks Mr... who were you again? Ser Davos. Right.

Demon monkey. I like that Joffrey can take that kind of insult and not go through the dungeons-sword-spike-routine. (You know something's wrong when that's something you are very glad about).

Theon Greyjoy, through most of the first season I didn't even know who he was. Now I know, but that hasn't done him much good. Son of a villain who wants to pillage villages so his father would like him, and does not even do good job with it. Interesting military discipline system (or lack of), if I ever play a GOT RTS game I won't pick Iron Islanders, with my leadership skills there would be a mutiny almost immediately.

Tywius Lannisterius (sorry Jello, I learnt my Latin from Asterix) is tired of this poodoo, and tells everyone why they keep on losing. That's exactly what I want to hear from him, but could he have any ideas what they should do instead? Well, he has the second Stark girl as his cupbearer, I'm sure he can figure out something (he must have already realized who the girl is, he's dangerously genre-savvy).

A man comes to speak with a girl. A man is written by Jude Watson. A man gives three wishes.

Now we're in the North. No woods, only snow and ice. The Half-Hand? That rings a bell. He was mentioned on page 224 of A Game of Thrones as ”a ranger of Castle Black”. Apparently that wasn't even a half of his story. My ears hurt when I look at these people, heads uncovered, wind blowing through their heads.

I liked Samwell's ”by the way”-exposition about how the First Men stood on that rock through the Long Night. More of that please. Exposition is harder in TV since people rarely comment on ancient stuff in regular conversations. Three hundred years ago the Russian army blew up a castle in my home town, but do I mention that when discussing TV shows? But with Samwell it works. ”Gilly would love it here” Never change, Sam. These short moments of joy are the best thing in this show.

The Song moves forward to tell us about the Fire. I have a bad feeling about these pots. As Wisdom Hallyne said (in more direct words), they are building an exploding dragon. Looks like we won't need Daenerys after all.

Qarth is magnificent. A mixture of different Earthian cultures but without looking directly like any of them. And the costumes are deliciously over-the-top.

I don't really know what to think about Brienne. We never got a reason why she thought that Renly was such a great guy and why she wants to avenge him. Then again, that could be said of me. But the scenery stole the scene. I know that humans have through their existence tried to get as far from nature as possible (and having -22 Celsius degrees outside I know why), but still I get kicks from these scenes in woods.

Torrhen's Square is under siege? But... that really is close when I look at the map. Greyjoys left just this episode, and they have already sailed for over 150 leagues? Time goes fast when it's fun. Good to see Mr. Beard again, but I don't think all of him will come back from the battle. Three-eyed raven means something? I thought it was just... generally symbolic. Well, Night's Watch has three castles in the Wall...

Their ears! They'll fly in the wind soon if they don't cover them. Qhorin says that they need to sneak in and kill the enemy's leader so his people will scatter. That's not going to work twice in a row, is it?

Daenerys says that ”The Baratheons fight each other”. Renly Baratheon lives! Or perhaps Xaro just didn't get the new Stannis-Canon. How much of Jorah's councel was because he was afraid about her marriage to Xaro? Since Jorah is expendable but Daenerys isn't, I'm keeping my eye more on him. No way they are allowed to leave so soon.

Arya is cute. Enough said. And poor Tippler... not! That was just my clever red herring for those that press spoiler tags without thinking.

Man has granted the first wish, and Lugija's going to say that the Mountain's turn comes soon. But now Lugija ends this review. Audience stops reading and starts writing "You have no idea".

Gorefiend, JackG and Barriss_Coffee like this.
  12. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    This made my day. Although if I ever rewatch this episode again these scenes are ruined for me. I won't be able to unthink this.:p

That thought had crossed my mind once or thrice reading your review. You poor soul. [face_devil]

Lugija likes this.
  13. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I'm weird; I always liked papers and would be finished with them a couple of weeks in advance. I look forward to working on my PhD and the dissertation.

Jello, to your "boring" I'll raise you the paper I wrote about trying to install electronic cataloging systems in the libraries of various African universities when the Internet on that continent is sporadic.

14. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    I once finished a paper a couple of hours in advance. That was a good day.

15. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I always sent my grad school papers to my father to proofread before I turned them in. I had written another one about the book And Tango Makes Three and various community attempts to censor children's books featuring same-sex couples. I sent it with the subject header "gay penguin paper". My mother called and said "You'd better tell him what that really is so he'll open it."

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  16. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    I did the same thing. Couldn't stand rough drafts, as the idea of submitting something that isn't already complete strikes me as utterly absurd and impractical. More often than not, the rough draft was the final version.

17. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I would do a ****ty first draft, then a rougher draft, then a rough draft--that third version got sent to my Dad, then I'd take his corrections and do one or two more versions.

I'm not at all anal in any other area of my life but I definitely was as far as school went.

18. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    I used to ignore rough drafts until I entered the world of publishing hell. It's a special kind of hell.

Reviewer 1: "Get rid of X and keep Y."
    Reviewer 2: "Keep X and scrap Y."
    Reviewer 3: *soMethiNg gArbled tHat lOoks liKe a raNsoM notE with AutoCoRrect gOne wRonG* (this is probably the old-timer whose opinion has the most weight)

Then you wait up to a year or two to get the damn thing completed. And subsequently shredded by the critiquing masses who generally sound like the comment section below YouTube videos.

Good luck working on your PhD, anakinfansince1983!:p (but honestly if you like to write that will help a LOT.)

19. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    I thoroughly miss writing research papers and the like.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  20. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
  21. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I miss writing papers in the classics. where I knew the universe and scholarship well enough that I could generally shoot from the hip and then have my instincts confirmed once I did the research. I knew which scholars I liked and which I didn't, and I knew how to defang the ones I disagreed with. In this field, I feel like Jar Jar Binks in a minefield. It's just a disaster waiting to happen. :p

My paper is funny because I had a thesis, and it turns out there literally isn't enough evidence anywhere to support it or to knock it down. But since my entire paper is based upon coming to a conclusion based on what state practice tells me, I had to scrap my thesis. I emailed my prof to ask him about it, and he said that I had picked one of the hardest topics on the ILC's agenda and that international research in general is very hard -- he told me to think of it like archaeology and just keep digging. Well gee, that's helpful! So I continued looking, found all sorts of weird international case databases and found zilch (worse than zilch -- found a bunch of articles and books that talked about how there's a dearth of practice in this area. goodie!). So I followed up and he was like, well, change your thesis to say that there isn't enough evidence to come to a conclusion. And I was like well great, how do I write 8000 words saying I haven't found anything? And he just said oh, do your best.

[face_plain]

So I managed to stretch out 3 criminal cases over 10 pages, mostly by lulzing at how inadequate their reasoning is, how contradictory it is, and how it is impossible to draw conclusions from it. The best part is, that sort of riffing actually counts as substantive analysis of a legal rule. Yay!

a_g: Yeah okay, that's way more boring than my topic. At least my topic promotes anger/outrage in people when I tell them about it. But I think I'll see your boredom and raise you a paper I wrote last semester about whether a unilateral covenant not to sue moots a compulsory counterclaim for trademark invalidity.... oh and did I mention the trademark is over a shoe? ZzzZzzzzZz In order to make it remotely palatable to me, I decided to ignore the patent/trademark issues entirely and write my entire paper on Article III judicial abstention doctrines, which really aren't more exciting but turning things into conlaw amuses me b/c I know a lot more about it.

Somehow I still got an A on that paper. So whatever I did must've worked. :p

22. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Here's the thing with papers- I hate them. Hate having to write them, hate having to think about them. However, I am a naturally gifted writer, and can bang out a paper in absolutely no time. Yet time and time again I'd end up handing papers late, despite the fact that I can easily write A quality work in only a few hours. Ten-page paper? Might take me 8 hours of work. I'm just too damn lazy to get it done on time.

As you can imagine, this caused some problems for me in high school and college. Hindsight's a bitch. :p Though, it was always funny when I'd get one of the best-scored papers in the class with so little effort put forth.

That said, I actually prefer when we're required to submit a draft. Makes it more likely that I'll turn the final thing in on time.

23. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Ditto. I'm actually good at banging out decent papers at short notice, I just hate having to do them and hate devoting the time to them.

Worst part is, I can't just focus on doing whatever I need to do to get an A and leaving it at that; I actually need to impress this guy since he's a big name in the field and getting on his good side is a good idea. Boo.

24. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    Ow. My head is pounding. I think I played enough N:TW last night that the artillery went through my mind all night. And fun tip for Napoleon: Total War on the Europe Campaign: If you ally with the Prussians and keep them happy, they absolutely will not backstab you until you take Vienna. I've been exploiting this by taking the rest of Austrian territory, keeping Vienna bottled up, and taking the time to mop up Italy and wipe out the Royal Navy.I can't begin to tell you how satisfying it was to send Horatio Nelson to Davy Jones' Locker.

In other news, I finally managed to find that essay I wrote on how Vergere is just a proactive Daoist. In other other news, it's 70 out today! Hooray!

25. krtmd

krtmd Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    Lugija - You have no idea. :p

Also, you must love Brienne. Everyone must love the Maid of Tarth. I command it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.