main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Apropos of Nothing - ACKBAR IN CAPITALS - The Lit Forum Social Thread, v2.0.15

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Jello: ouch. Patent/trademark law looks even more boring than copyright law, and I didn't think that was possible.

My brother is an attorney and when he was in law school, I remember him complaining the most about property law. And he's a tax attorney.

2. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Working in government bureaucracy, all I do all day is fill out tedious paperwork. All. Day. Long.

So, in comparison, I thoroughly miss academia.

3. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    I like tedious paperwork. It comes pre-cited for sources.

4. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    But are the pre-citations compatible with the latest version of APA style?

5. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Yeah, that's why I completely avoided addressing any of the patent/trademark issues in that case. I'd say that it was Greek to me, but I actually know Greek. :p But yeah, booooring. Also tax law -- know nothing about that either.

Here's one of the cites I used on my current paper: Special Rapporteur Roman Anatolevich Kolodkin, Preliminary report on immunity of State officials from foreign criminal jurisdiction, Rep. of the Int’l Law Comm’n, 60th sess, May 5-June 6, July 6-Aug. 8, 2009, ¶ 115, U.N. Doc. A/CN.4/601 (May 28, 2008) [hereinafter Preliminary Report].

I hate legal cites.

6. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    Tedious paperwork is the stuff of nightmares for me.

7. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    ...care to share it?:p

Arghhh I could never leave! I've been in school so long I've come to liken anything outside academia to Office Space. :p

8. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I always leave for a few years and then go back. :p. Bachelors, second bachelors, masters. I like my current job and I'm paying off my masters so I'm good where I am at the moment but in a few years I'll start the PhD program application process.

9. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Yeah, you should! Doctorate holders get some pretty sweet hats.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  10. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Hm, a hat you say? Maybe I should look into getting one of these "doctorate" thingies. I'd like that- a neat hat, and the ability for people to call me Dr. Todd the Jedi.

11. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    We get to wear doctoral robes for our graduation -- which is AWESOME -- but they want us to wear plain mortarboard hats. That is lame. A friend of mine linked me to a site which sells proper doctoral tams. If I'm getting a doctoral degree, I want the right thing! It's a shame I can't keep the robes afterwards, though. :(

I hear that if you get a doctorate in Sweden, you get to wear a ****ing sword. That is so badass. I want to get a Ph.D or S.J.D. in Sweden just for that!

12. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I didn't make it to my brother's law school graduation because I had just had a baby but I do remember the pictures of his robes and hat.

13. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I don't mind mortar board hats. I'd love to walk around wearing those, robes and a pipe saying stuff like "indubitably".

Which reminds me, I still need to order my robes and such. Costs about $50 though. [face_frustrated]

14. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    I actually refused to attend my degree ceremony because the speaker was a sexist fascist. [face_not_talking]

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  15. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    That's like my sister's graduation. It was in 2006 and the speaker was Condoleeza Rice. Suffice to say some people were not happy with anything to do with the Bush Administration, and even picketed outside the ceremony.

Gorefiend likes this.
  16. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Our graduation gear is completely free, at least. That's nice.

What if it were a sexy fascist?

17. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    Still a fascist, party bros and sistas before fascist hoes :p

18. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    "Personally, I liked the university. They gave us money and facilities; we didn't have to produce anything! You've never been out of college! You don't know what it's like out there! I've worked in the private sector . . . they expect results!"

19. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    That's so not awesome. Though formal wear of all kinds is evil.

20. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Havac -- how bourgeois.

21. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    Having worked in two offices in the last two years, I have to say that you're not wrong.

22. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    Bah, I've encountered the reverse. :p

23. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    GHOSTBUSTERS IS NEVER WRONG.

24. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    Ghostbusters II?

25. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    Even that movie is awesome by most movie standards.

Ris_jSarek likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.