main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Apropos of Nothing - ACKBAR IN CAPITALS - The Lit Forum Social Thread, v2.0.15

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Academia pays decently here but for post-secondary, you need a PhD to even be considered. I'm hoping to work in research at a university plus write for various professional journals once I get mine.

2. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Yeah I don't think that's gonna happen. I've gotta maintain SOME dignity. :p

3. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    If it's not in visual form on the internet, it didn't happen.

:p

4. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    The important question is, just how cute do you look now?

5. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
  6. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Sigh. I'll post a picture later.

blackmyron likes this.
  7. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Yep, and I only completed a Bachelors - I was a dissertation short of a Masters, but this late I'd have to repeat the coursework.

8. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
  9. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    Nice hairdo :p

10. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
  11. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    Gorefiend likes this.
  12. RC-1991

Dec 2, 2009
    Jello, please set that as your icon. Pretty please. I'll say nice things about the Optimates if you do.

13. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    I also had my hair cut by my cousin two weeks ago. It ended with "You know what's the rage this year? Hats" so I had my mother cut it again to military style. Saved 20€. I haven't needed to go to a barbershop for a year.

14. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Like to smile much Jello? :p

I turn 30 next month, so I might be tempted to post a few pictures from my party. Just to prove once and for all I don't wear a white uniform and look like a talking fish. Which might make the boards crash. I am not sure.

--Adm. Nick

15. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    This is what I get for being a good sport :p

16. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    I hope you learned a valuable lesson about Peer Pressure, Jello. :p

17. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    But I've always been quite fond of the peerage :(

RC-1991 and Ulicus like this.
  18. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    Sorry Cooper, time for the weekly Game of Thrones discussion.I'll start it by writing whatever came to my mind while watching the seventh episode of the second season, and the rest of you can continue by talking about Sansa and Cersei.

[​IMG]

Someone tell Theon to stop trying to act like Darth Vader. I think these Iron Islanders are bad influence to him. 500 men can keep Winterfell against 10 000 attackers. Well good thing that Theon has taken what looks like a majority of his troops outside, and even that's only a handful. How did they ever get the castle?

I enjoy the little scene between Bran, Rickon, Osha and Hodor. Hodor's laugh won me over. And this is the most lines Rickon has had yet.

These episodes are taking less and less time, this one begins the day immediately after the last one and lasts less than a day. Some trivia about the lenght of the night on north and south for those that wondered if Jon's awkward night took over 12 hours: I think we can say that we have gone from the August of the last season (”The last year of summer is always the hottest”) to September. So if we are close to the Southward equinox (our September 22nd), the night is 12 hours everywhere. During the summer the nights are shorter the farther north you go. I presume to think that this applies to this world that has seasons take more than years, however that happens.

Harrenhal looks cool. And with Tywin Lannister it's 300% cooler. Now we get a name for the mysterious brotherhood they were asking people about. It's The Brotherhood Without Banners. ”Pretendous name for a band of outlaws”. I need to unCOMPNOR this sentence. This war will be Tywin's legacy. Mine will be in hardcover.

Can we get more talks between Tywin and Arya? They are great together. Tywin's little smiles, Arya's witty answers, some exposition with clothes on, I enjoy every second. When they talk about dragons I am reminded how Ron knew everything about dragons in Harry Potter. Dragons must be to them what dinosaurs are to us. If you want to know if Diplodocus belonged to the Sauropoda, ask an 9-year old (it did).

Sansa tries to thank him but he speaks about how sweet killing is. Because he is the hero Sansa needs. Because he's not a hero. He's a silent guardian, the watchful protector...The Hound.

Xaro's sigil is a bug. So was the sigil of Sinuhe, the main character of Mika Waltari's novel The Egyptian. He was a nobody who became the official doctor of the Pharaoh and a rich man until he had a strike of morals and opposed the rulers. Otherwise these two novels have nothing to do with each other, especially since Xaro sold his morals a long time ago. There are more similarities between Star Wars and The Egyptian (The ex-slave Kaptah's arc as a mastermind is very similar to Gryph's and the Hittites have a saying ”Excluding our neighbors, every nation is our friend, until they become our neighbors” Sound anything like the Mandalorians?) I'm digressing again.

Great panorama shot of Robb's camp. Am I mistaken or is there another watchtower on the other side of the lake? The beacons are lit! This has nothing to do with anything but it's a little detail in worldbuilding which I like.

[​IMG]

It took Alton Lannister an episode to get to King's Landing, and five to come back. Another proof of the show going slower now. Robb doesn't shoot the messenger and tells us that they are currently camped near The Crag. Thank you. Now I have some idea of where the lines are.

Theon keeps talking of how his men will respect him when he does cruel deeds. Isn't he clearly played? These men follow him now because it amuses them to. There's no real respect.

Jon's worst date ever continues. I'll take back my words ”After the talk about how the wildlings know all the ways here and Jon doesn't he captures her quite easily.” The game is on!

Sansa has a nightmare, and wakes to another. Dear Waru, she is bleeding! I watch in shock as suddenly everyone wants to pay Sansa a visit. If she wakes up from a nightmare, how come everyone else is already awake, dressed and feels the need to visit Sansa's bedroom? Anyway, my thoughts went like this: ”Quickly, hide it! Oh no, someone! Stop him Shae! Good, you may survive this yet. Oh no it's the Guard! Wait, it's the Hound! He'll save her! Wait... no nonono!”

Then we get a discussion between Cersei and Sansa. I shivered all the time while watching it for the first time, and still do in many points. Nice to hear more about Robert, he was the king in the beginning of the story and a big part of the show. This is no LOST where you can get more appearances after your death than before. You die, that's it. That's why it's cool that the dead important characters are not forgotten. ”Shouldn't I love Joffrey, your Grace?” ”You can try, little dove”. Shivers. Stannis, what are you waiting for?

Barristan the Bold gets a mention. Could we get to see him soon? And we see Jaime for the first time in six episodes. He seems to get a little tired of sitting under a pole and starts to sith his way out. On unrelated note, he might smell a little. Anyway, we get to hear first a story of how Alton Lannister was a squire to Jaime and then a story of how Jaime was a squire to Barristan. Everything is nice and fun until one of them dies.

And then dies Torrhen Karstark. Who in the novel died when they originally captured Jaime. I didn't remember that so I assumed that Torrhen was the last living son of Lord Karstark (he had three, and two died, that I remembered). Instead this was a matter of Death by Destiny. You should have died last season, boy.

Jorah Mormont says that he should have been on her side so this wouldn't have happened, and promises to be from now on. Then he leaves her to find out where the dragons are. Did he think this through? Besides, his words: ”I should have been here. My place is by your side.” The massacre happened when Daenerys was not there, so I don't know how much it would have mattered if Jorah had been with her.

No matter that Jorah Poirot is just starting his interviews, we are already at the summation gathering. And the murderer was... Oh, it's actually the House of the Undying, not the House of the Living. My mistake. Anyway... it was the warlock! In Xaro's palace with a diamond or something. He shows how he did it, and suddenly my words from last week ”Qarth has thirteen kings? And here was I thinking that five is too many” show my unpreparedness.

Jaime's escape didn't go that well. Too little exercise perhaps. His situation is very poor. Tywin's Facepalm War doesn't go well enough for Lannisters to rescue him, he can't rescue himself, nobody wants to negociate the transfer of prisoners, what options are still left? By the way, Catelyn can shout through her teeth.

A Stag In Flames is coming in four or five days. The suspension rises. Yes, Tywin Lannister is a great tactician. The best, some would say. That's why he is sitting in Harrenhal and mocking his bannermen for losing every single battle. I don't think the battle of King's Landing would go any better if he sat there mocking Joffrey and Cersei. (Can we have that? Can we?) Cersei admits the second time this episode that when Joffrey was hit with that cow pile it was the pile that got dirty. And she is hurt over the situation but can't do anything since he is her special little guy and she will kill innocents to ensure his throne. No, I don't think this counts as redemption.

Catelyn speaks to Jaime 2: This Time It's Also Personal. Jaime gives an argument of how a knight can't honor all the vows he has sweared during a civil war. This I agree with him, and I don't like to call him Kingslayer as an insult. He may have forsaken a vow at that point, but it had to be done. Blaming him for killing the Mad King when he also threw a kid from a tower feels silly. After telling a truth of honorable Ned's one dishonorable deed and telling a truth of how Catelyn hated Jon she takes a sword and to be continued...

Theon gives a grand ”Pay attention to me!” speech and shows the props of Owen and Be... the burned corpses of two young children. They got me for a second before I put together two (orphan boys) and two (corpses). From Theon's look I could see that he just gave the order (after the Iron Islanders gave him serious hinting: ”Do you know what children like to play with? A fire! Wink wink!”) and left before the fire was lit. Could it be that he resents his evil deeds and how he's being played with? No, because that would need not just morals, but a brain.

19. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    I like that point scale. Go team Sansa!

20. RC-1991

Dec 2, 2009
    So, I finally got AC3. This Haytham guy is awesome.

21. RC-1991

Dec 2, 2009
    WAIT WHAT HE'S A TEMPLAR WHAT WHAT

22. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    Lol.

Ulicus likes this.
  23. RC-1991

Dec 2, 2009
    I am really, really glad that I made a point of not spoiling myself to the 18th century parts of this game.

24. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Yeah I know what you mean.

I still need to finish the game myself.

25. RC-1991

Dec 2, 2009
    Oh my gods I'm steering a ship this is so damned cool I would be on #eu but I'm too busy crapping my pants at how awesome this is now I know exactly why the next game is going to be a pirate game

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.