main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Apropos of Nothing - ACKBAR IN CAPITALS - The Lit Forum Social Thread, v2.0.15

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    After watching both, I'm kind of tempted to pick up the live action Tick.

But both Archer and Venture Brothers are hilarious. Same feel, just satirical/ more realistic takes on different genres- the boy adventurer show for Venture Brothers, and spy thrillers for Archer. They really ought to do a crossover of some sort.

2. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Aaaaand done. Fun fact: I've never watched a season of Archer in less than a day.

Archer actually is doing a crossover--with Bob's Burgers. That will be interesting.

3. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    That was the season opener. I liked it a bunch.

4. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    And that's what I get for waiting for Netflix to get it... :oops:

5. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    I'm 11 years late, but I'm finally going to check out Traitor by Matthew Stover. I never read it back in 2002 because I never really liked Jacen, and I was really into the CW stuff at the time. Let's see if all the fuss is deserved, hey?
    Blasphemy, I know.

Zeta1127 and Barriss_Coffee like this.
  6. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    I have also never read it, but I started reading the EU properly just three years ago. My almost-all-including chronological read-through is at 23 BBY.

And since I don't have Facebook nor Twitter: I just watched Toy Story 3 for the first time. Where am I supposed to put these tears?

7. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    If you are not impressed I.... I... I will never like another one of your posts! THE ULTIMATE REBUKE![face_not_talking]

OMG that movie. And worst, they KNEW so many members of the audience had more or less grown up alongside Andy. That was the first time I was ever in a movie theater and saw people below the age of thirty tearing up. Including the menz.[face_tee_hee]

8. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    TS3 was great. Hard for me to decide if I like 2 or 3 better.

(insert obligatory "TS1 ripped off Henson" complaint)

On a side note, I realized recently that if I were to have children, they would not be allowed to watch TS2 (and, presumably, by extension, TS3) until they were old enough to watch the OT due to the Vader spoof joke. And, given my issues with TS1, I wouldn't be actively showing them that one either. Heh.

I absolutely love Archer- yet I still haven't watched the first season and a half or so (jumped in during Season 2). Really gotta get around to picking that up. Krieger kills me (and, presumably, reanimates me afterwards).

9. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    "Issues"? [face_waiting]

10. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    For some reason I didn't watch Archer's second season. I think I was unaware that the show actually lasted beyond the first season. :oops: I also only saw about half of season 1, and except for the Burt Reynolds episode I'm all caught up on the rest of the show.

And Quest, that "I am your father" joke in TS2 is so quick, and so different from the original that I bet kids wouldn't even make the connection, at least if they spread apart their viewings of Toy Story and Star Wars. Unless you want them to get the joke, which even then is a bit of a stretch to hold off on watching TS.

11. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Though I just took a friend through GOT season 2 over the last few months, I finally got a proper set of blurays (long story) and one of my friends wanted to watch it through before season 3, so time to marathon again. Why not? :D

lol. I just watched TS2 and TS3 for the first time this last winter... and yeahhhhh, that was quite a thing. Feels, all the feels, as they say.

12. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I haven't read it either but I came into the EU even more recently than that; started with the prequel-era EU a couple of years ago and am just now reading the NJO. (OK, I did read the Thrawn Trilogy 15 years ago but that turned me off the EU for several years.)

Toy Story 3: I can't even watch the whole thing.

13. AdmiralWesJanson

May 23, 2005
    TS3: The new Fry's Dog.

14. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    So I'm not really that annoyed at Connor yet, even though he's a complete doofus. And I finally figured out how to make the homestead profitable. Assassin's Creed III: educating us about the 18th century fur trade one hidden-bladed beaver at a time.

15. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    New CKII patch guys, rebalancing republics. And some other stuff, too.

- When determining what tier a character is for the purposes of marriage, the highest ranked non-republican ruler among their close relatives is now used (so the nephew of a King would count as King tier)
    - Will no longer get prestige hits for marrying below your tier unless you marry more than one level below it (so a King would get a prestige hit for marrying a Countess but not a Duchess)

Woohoo!

- Can no longer grant independence to an antipope

Boo! :(

Gorefiend and Point Given like this.
  16. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Nah, the fuss ain't all that deserved. Shatterpoint, however...

17. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    - Added a Trade Post limit for patricians, based on palace upgrades and number of adult males in court

YAY

- The Holy War CB no longer works against too distant targets

finally!

- The Windows version is now large address aware

SUPER YAY

- Tanistry electors are no longer de jure

Hm, makes it more viable, that's for sure.

- Rewrote large parts of the tutorial to be up-to-date with current features

'bout time. Now I can recommend it to more people.

- AI now takes into account both tier prestige and dynastic prestige when responding to marriage offers

Seriously? They didn't before? The ****?!? Maybe now I can play a proper Karling game and get awesome marriages. :p

- AI now takes into account prestige effects when selecting spouses for themselves and their relatives

THANK GOD. No more lowborn queens now, I hope.

aaaand the rest are minor to me. These were the big ones, in addition to the ones Uli pointed out.

18. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    Yep, when I played for the first time and tried the tutorial many parts of it didn't work properly ("I have to press a button there? There's no button there!") and so I had to begun playing and finding things out myself (going quite well now, but at the moment my glorious Duke Erik The Holy who began as a lowly Count is 62 years old and my current heir is slothful and greedy)

19. AdmiralWesJanson

May 23, 2005
    Yay, package from Forgeworld showed up. Not to clean the parts and start adding the new stuff to my armies.

20. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
  21. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    It's the same story as Jim Henson's The Christmas Toy, only without the darker elements that made it interesting and slightly more logical (such as the reason why humans don't see toys move: if they're caught moving outside the toy room, they die).

22. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Oh. Well, okay, that's fair. :p

The2ndQuest likes this.
  23. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    I've never heard of this one. Huh.

24. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Having gone to school for animation initially, I've heard about it (and Kimba, of course)--but never really been motivated to engage with the issue. Because, I mean, it's Toy Story. [face_talk_hand]

25. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    There is nothing new under the sun, including this sentence.

On another note, here's a lousy picture of something I've been working on.

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.