main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Apropos of Nothing - ACKBAR IN CAPITALS - The Lit Forum Social Thread, v2.0.15

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    If someone planned this, well played. Now Jello can do what he must have wished to do all these years: Tell everyone that he is a doctor, not a _______.

GrandAdmiralJello likes this.
  2. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    My favorite WMG page has to be the one for Legend of Korra. That one blew up in content so fast, and it's still expanding!

3. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    hahaha nope, I wasn't even paying attention to the previous line of discussion. But I guess that's good timing :p

Just law. In the U.S., the degree for practice of law is a first professional degree (J.D. -- juris doctor). Unfortunately there's a great deal of degree snobbery in the U.S., where Ph.Ds and M.D.s aren't willing to let J.D.s call themselves doctors, but we're at least as entitled to it as the latter group.

4. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Ah, so presumably covers the sort of post-degree stuff would-be lawyers do here like articles and training for the bar?

I'd be surprised if that's the last hoop you have to jump through!

5. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I've already written scholarly articles, but the bar examination is still post-degree. That's what I get to spend the next three months doing... studying 8 hrs a day. I don't even know how I'm going to manage that. I am not the best at studying -- my general strategy for exams is to just, like, get an instinctive sense of things and then just wing it. Usually that works. :p

6. Trip

Trip Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    ugh, jello, I feel you dude

ETA: about the study habits thing i mean, not studying for the bar exam obviously

7. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    Technically I was linking the Golden Company to the Mandalorians in the first instance.

In the second, I'd certainly agree that the Ironborn are Vikings without the charm, but I would also say that Martin wrote them as a parody of fantasy warrior cultures intentionally.

8. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Given what you've posted of your academic achievements, it suggests you have not yet reached the level at which your intellect will be truly challenged, however, it also sounds as if that is about to change....

Good luck!

9. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    That sounds more like a challenge to the work ethic than to the intellect. For me, that's a much, much deadlier challenge [face_worried]

10. RC-1991

Dec 2, 2009
    So, I'm just now watching the most recent episode of GOT. Why does the exterior shot of Dragonstone remind me of Minas Morgul?

11. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    FWIW, I was talking about the mercenary guys in last night's episode--Second Sons, I think? And given that the series largely came out in the late nineties, I don't think Traviss Mandalorians have anything to do with anything. :p

12. RC-1991

Dec 2, 2009
    I was more saying that the Ironborn are an intentional parody of fantasy warrior cultures, while the Travisslorians are an unintentional parody. The comparison with the Golden Company and the Mandalorians was more tongue-in-cheek comparing their traits, not drawing a real-world linkage :p

13. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    I can't imagine studying eight hours a day. I work best in small bursts, cut through a section of the book every day, start over when I'm done (repeat as needed for several months). Anything longer than an hour or two and I start losing my ability to retain what I'm supposed to be learning.

Of course, on the upside, it's a great reason to spend the rest of the day doing far more interesting and stimulating things than studying power of attorney, mortgages, and retirement planning.

instantdeath likes this.
  14. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
  15. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    [​IMG]
    NOBODY EXPECTS THE SPANISH INQUISITION!

(I posted this here because it was expected in the TV-Rebels thread)

16. RC-1991

Dec 2, 2009
    "At least this scene made sense." Um, no, it didn't. It was one of the most nonsensical scenes in a film burdened by a nonsensical plot.

And that's the tamest comment I could find. Ugh.

Gorefiend likes this.
  17. Trip

Trip Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    [​IMG]
    grr

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  18. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Trip has a point.

19. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    I still haven't seen that movie.

20. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Tangential - I have seen the movie, and I still don't know what the hell "Into Darkness" means.

21. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    I am still too afraid of being alienated by the Abramsverse to even see the first one, let alone the second one.

22. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    My comic shop guy would strangle JJ Abrams to death if he had the opportunity--I'm very excited to go in there tomorrow and find out why he hated it.

23. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
  24. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    Speaking of Trek, I actually took my first forray into the universe a week ago, when I started watching The Original Series. Since then, I've watched about 5 episodes. I expected to be turned off by the cheesy special effects, but I think it really speaks to the quality of the Original Series that I not only enjoyed it, I actually loved a few of them. "Where No Man Has Gone Before", "the Naked Time", and "The Enemy Within" were all very good, even with evil Kirk in the last one (though that episode was written by Richard Matheson, so the quality is no surprise). I'm going to watch Abram's Trek this week and see Into Darkness as well.

Should I expect to enjoy the Abramverse more than the longtime Trek fans, since I'm mostly unfamiliar with the source material, or less since I won't be familiar with the material that it's paying homage to?

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  25. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    "Paying homage to" might be an overly generous description.

Just a bit.

RC-1991 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.