main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Apropos of Nothing - ACKBAR IN CAPITALS - The Lit Forum Social Thread, v2.0.15

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    I wouldn't join any group that doesn't know how to spell Wookiee.

CooperTFN likes this.
  2. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    Ah Wookie is just alternative spelling, it shows up all over the place in the books as well. ;)

3. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Those display fine. It's the one in response to my DW comment that does not display.

Misa ab iPhono meo est.

4. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010

Eh, three other people like it. I don't think you'd be interested :p

Lugija likes this.
  5. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    I really want that Rebel Alliance "Freedom" poster. Retro looking, has the beautiful Starbird, and X-wings bravely flying into the night sky. I WANT NOW.

--Adm. Nick

6. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Ok day three of flying (total flight time = near 24 hrs so far).

Fb is no longer blocked and I can see that image now. I am not a hipster, I don't even know what that is. However I may routinely burn myself with pizza....

Nick, your infatuation with freedom is so disturbing :p there were some interesting notes I've picked up in my reread of the XW books that I'd love to bump that Core World thread over but alas no long posts from me for a while :( suffice it to day that it had some wonderful things to say about Coruscant and how alien the NR's philosophies are to its culture.

7. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999

Off-topic, even by this thread's standards, I suppose--but I really like this thing.

8. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Call me an idealist, call me an American, call me a Westerner, etc, but freedom is a thing so precious that it is worth being infatuated with. Hell, we all take it for granted. Folks who lack freedom, however, often are willing to fight and die for it. [face_peace]

But yes, for me, freedom is special. [face_flag]

--Adm. Nick

9. Bly

Bly Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 28, 2005
    Hey Coffee, I found something for your Christmas wishlist.
    [​IMG]

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  10. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    You realize that Jello probably can't read any of this, right? :p

AdmiralNick22 likes this.
  11. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Are those the only things I can call you?

12. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    San-Vader-Malgus-tine appeals to me.

Bly likes this.
  13. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    Of course he can read it. His soul just starts to burn when he does.

14. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    That awkward moment where you're reading someone's profile on OKCupid and for a split second you read "native New Orleanian" as "native New Ortolan".

jSarek, Gorefiend and Barriss_Coffee like this.
  15. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    Why did they leave this out of the episode?!

Ooh, finally FFG shows off the B-Wing and TIE Bomber!

Gorefiend likes this.
  16. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
  17. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    Turn your attention to the NSA, then.

18. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    Iron_lord you fiend. I was alerted that you quoted me on the PT forums. I panicked a little and wondered when I wrote there. Was I so drunk I don't remember it? But then I would have had to be so drunk that I don't remember being drunk. Was I made to forget? Am I in Matrix?

And then you had just quoted my post from Lit. Anticlimatic perhaps but then again I don't have to worry that I was obliviated just when I posted on the PT forum and found out that magic was real.

19. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    I finished Jedi Search today, and a couple of passages really jumped out at me in the wake of Daala's bid for office...

"The New Republic would fall to its knees. She had no interest in ruling the former Empire herself- Daala had never had any such aspirations. Her main intent right now was just to cause them pain."

"Daala had been stepped on, abused, taken advantage of at the Caridan military academy. Tarkin had rescued her from that. He had given her the responsibility and the power she had earned through her own abilities. She owed Tarkin everything.

She would avenge him by destroying the New Republic as she caused their star systems to go supernova one by one. They could hide nowhere. At the same time, she would make her mark on the history of the galaxy, a warlord who had succeeded where an entire Empire had failed. The thought made Daala's pale lips curl upward in a grim smile."

Call me a traditionalist if you must, but I find myself uneasy with the candidates pro-genocide policies. I can't imagine the brain damage looks good on the resume, either.

Gorefiend and Barriss_Coffee like this.
  20. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
  21. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Hmmm. Got a lot of travel relayed news but I'll talk about that later. Suffice it to say that I had a miserable day that was made better by a tour of the country's largest royal palace (some of the architecture reminded me of the Imperial Palace in CE3), a resort where the lackeys bow and scrape (designed like a palace but not actually one -- I have previously stayed in a hotel built into the ruins of the Incan imperial palace and though I didn't stay there, there's a hotel thatvusedvto be a winter palace).

Oh and I got a call today about a job interview. Finally.

On the downside I saw the hammer end sickle painted everywhere. WTF.

AdmiralNick22 -- what you call freedom I call irresponsibility. I have some choice examples about what "freedom" seems to mean for certain people -- almost a synonym for selfishness. Freedom is a nice word in the comfortable confines of the civilized world, but elsewhere oligarchs and the like use the word to justify exploitation and all sorts of awful things.

I do wish I still had that John Jay quote on my bio but alas, you can pretend that I put it here.

instantdeath -- Admiral Dalliance makes Ysanne Isard look stable. Why doesn't the EU ever focus on high-ranking females who aren't bat**** crazy like Admiral Betl Oxtroe? Talk about misogyny.

No longer in China, thank goodness. Still in a place with awful people and grinding poverty though. The two are entirely related -- I haven't been to rural China but I imagine its similar.

I'd do so many things differently. Sadly some problems take generations to fix and democracy isn't the cure to everything: just look at Egypt.

Misa ab iPhono meo est.

22. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Uh this is awkward. Huge fire at the Nairobi airport. They're diverting the flights away. That could be a problem.

Misa ab iPhono meo est.

23. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Bah, Americans wanted a monarchy.

Hey, even now a handful of people like to pretend they are heirs to the nonexistent "throne" of America. (The Internet's a great place - one wonders if they plan to do anything about the rebels that insist the Confederacy still exists?)

24. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Huh? Which Americans wanted a monarchy, where?

And yeah there's no such thing as the American throne. What loons.

Misa ab iPhono meo est.

25. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Speaking of travelling, i am posting from my hotel in Barcelona! Should be a fun and interesting week. I know my fellow Americans are all asleep now, but I'll try to post updates when i can.

And that's good to hear about the job offer, jello. Hope it works out for ya!

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.