main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Apropos of Nothing - ACKBAR IN CAPITALS - The Lit Forum Social Thread, v2.0.15

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Ohmigosh. I'm hearing rumours that they're bringing the Eighth Doctor/McGann back to do Time War flashbacks in one of the specials!

It's old, so it might be way out of date, but if it's accurate then SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

And, Ker, the show - in general - isn't good so much as "good fun". Some might say there's no difference, but I'd disagree. There are very few episodes, in my opinion (and Ex has named a couple) that are truly excellent and it's especially annoying when RTD brings in his social and political commentary, or turns the Doctor into an ass (see the end of the first Christmas Special, where the Doctor screws over Britain's Golden Age because Earth, apparantly, has no right to defend itself).

It helps if you don't think about how things work, too. There's no way to reconcile a universe in which Back to the Future time travel AND the predestination paradox co-exist. :p

All of Moffat's episodes are, however, are exceptional... which is why I'm so excited about the 2010 series.

I can't believe it's so far away!

I'm also confused. The whole reason that 2009 is just Four Specials was, originally, because they wanted to keep Tennant on as the Doctor but also let him do his own thing... if he's leaving at the end... the whole exercise becomes pointless and we might as well have started with the Eleventh Doctor with a 2009 series.

2. Katana_Geldar

Katana_Geldar Jedi Grand Master star 8

Mar 3, 2003
    Well, paradoxes are very doctor who, aren't they?

I got re-elected in SWC, so I'm feeling good right now.

3. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    [image=http://goodwilljester.files.wordpress.com/2008/01/dalek3.jpg]

GOL-DEN AGE? SHE WAS A POL-I-TIC-IAN! THEY ARE NOT TO BE TRUSTED!

Especially macho moron politicians like Jones who don't think through their actions. Yeah, she has Torchwood blast the retreating spaceship out of the sky. Ohh - well hard. Now what's going to happen once that becomes more widely known? You get aliens attacking more aggressively, which means far greater likelihood of people dying needlessly...all because a politician wanted to look tough.

4. Onderon1

Onderon1 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 2008

I remember seeing original series episodes of DW on PBS here in the States - heretically, I didn't get all that into it. [face_blush]

But I did think K-9 was just the coolest part of the series. I was young. Only excuse. :p

Anybody besides me suspect there have to be some DW fans at Bioware, given the large role Telos gets in KOTOR?

A chunk of my personal fanon - the real downfall of Czerka?

Not Tatooine bankrupting them. Not the Wookie rebellion.

That military base on Telos was hiding ...

Cybermen. [face_devil]

And we did get a Doctor in - IIRC - Marvel's last SW issue, so ... [face_whistling]

5. MistrX

MistrX Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2006
    I didn't see the show until the new series started airing. I hadn't seen Eccleston in anything but 28 Days Later.... One episode, though, and I was hooked.

6. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    You don't know that and, thusfar, it hasn't happened.

What is known is that, prior to Ten's interference, Harriet Jones serves three terms that Nine states are Britain's Golden Age.

The fact that he would remove her from power for one, totally justifiable and understandable act, is... pretty outrageous. It wasn't about "looking tough", it was about stopping them coming back with friends.

What guarantee does Earth have that they're going to stay away? None.

What guarantee does Earth have that the Doctor will just happen to be there to save them over and over? None. (The fact it always happens notwithstanding :p)

Though, in his defence, it could be said that had Jones just not obsessed over what he had said, things would have carried on swimmingly. Still, it annoys me and marred what had been an excellent episode up to that point.

I've got no problem with the Doctor disagreeing with her decision... it's the interfering that bothers me.

7. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Reservoir Dogs had more of a plot. And thanks!

Ta muchly.

Have we ever actually managed to make Ex watch something?

[:D] Yup, she most certainly did. Makes me smile even now. :D

8. Katana_Geldar

Mar 3, 2003
    We manage to get him to READ things Sin

9. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002

Oh when I think how many Litties recommended Dark Rendezvous to me . . . it makes me want to put a smile on your faces. [face_mischief]

I'm pleased for you, Sin. :cool:

10. Bly

Bly Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 28, 2005
    Belated congrats Sinre! Hope you two have many happy years together.

11. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    1. There's no garantee that achieves that either.

2. None, but how many ships can that raygun take out before the other alien ships bomb the hell out of the area it's shooting from?

3. Sheer luck and it's always worked thus far, we got nothing else - time to grow up and accept the universe is actually far scarier than you thought and there's nothing you can do about it.

4. No one had to go along with what the Doc said - they simply decided to.

5. Er, Time Lord - hello? What do you think he's going to do? Of course he'll interfere.

Who has rarely ever been in favour of military solutions, if you want that - you're best to look elsewhere.

12. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    Well if they're destroyed, it's pretty hard for them to come back. *Shrug*

Ultimately, the Doctor didn't state that his objection was: "you're going to bring them down harder on you", or "you've painted a big target on your behinds, now", or "Uh, yeah, their mates are going to want to know where they went..."

It was: "They were LEAVING!"

Those guys, specifically. The guys that could have turned around and come straight back the minute the Doctor left. It's not like the Earth can just ring him up.

I mean, cripes, had he actually said: "Uh, there will be more of them in greater numbers now and... gah, Harriettttt!" I'd have had less of a problem. (Since it's been a good couple of years since I've seen the episode, I'm going to have a lot of egg on my face if it turns out he did say words to that effect).

I want Becca to make an appearance. She's better at fighting this argument than I am. :p

13. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    What about the Space/Time Telegraph he gave UNIT? :p

14. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    Is this from the original series run? Or am I being a forgetful fool?

My knowledge of that period is hazy at best, I'm afraid. :(

(Though I do intend on buying a whole bunch of boxed sets soon)

15. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Well, let's just say you ain't the only one who needs to rewatc the ep, it's been a couple of years for me. I will confess I loathe Harriet Jones, just way too much of a whiff of Thatcher about her.

16. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    No, you shouldn't know it unless you're an obsessive like myself... 8-}

Basically, it was a little-used tool after the 3rd Doctor's exile to Earth was lifted to allow UNIT to contact him for help. My only memory of it being used was in "The Terror of the Zygons" (4th Doctor), although it showed up in some of the novels, naturally.

It's good to see other fandoms have just as absurd disagreements - if you think the SSD battles were fierce, there's about two decades of 'When were the UNIT stories set?' bloody fighting that makes it look like a schoolyard slap-fight...

17. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    Ah.

See... I regard Mrs Thatcher as having been a fantastic Prime Minister.

"YMMV" in action, so it seems. ;)

Lol!

Well, at the very least, I'm never going to get worried about Who canon and continuity to any great extent. I just... watch it as it comes. :)

18. Katana_Geldar

Mar 3, 2003
  19. Excellence

Jul 28, 2002

I want to see the Ice Warriors. The Ice Warrior commander, Azaxyr, from Monster of Peladon. Then you'll see where Lucas got his Vader from.... [face_mischief]

20. Katana_Geldar

Mar 3, 2003
    I thought it was Dr Doom

21. Excellence

Jul 28, 2002

If you can find a clip of the commnader, you'll see Vader is an exact copy, only green. Helmet. Imperious persona. Hissing. Cape. I call that full frontal plagiarism!

22. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    No clips, but I could find [image=http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/d/df/The_Monster_of_Peladon.jpg/275px-The_Monster_of_Peladon.jpg] and also [image=http://www.gallifreyone.com/images/series/3y-1.gif]

23. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Maybe she looks better with the protection of being history, as - going by your profile age - you'd have been about 4 when she got deposed?

One thing that's true of both Blair and Thatcher is that they should have been 1-term PMs, the crazy crap came later and neither party has recovered from either figure. (Opposition weakness/craziness letting both get re-elected.)

As to how I regard conservatism - and what was conservative about Thatcher? What did she conserve? - one of the areas on the list to get around to doing is to look into the predecessor to Thatcherism, which can apparently be linked all the way back to Disraeli. i.e. what was dubbed 'One Nation' Conservatism.

24. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    Quite possibly.

Though I think it's probably far more to do with the upbringing I had and the politics and opinions espoused by my mother.

But didn't she take away my milk or something? Surely I should have an axe to grind over that?

(Or had that been returned by the time I got into Primary School one year later? I'm hazy)

One Nation Conservatism... heh. Embarassingly, I knew a fair amount about it at one point, though only long enough to sit an A-Level politics exam. I'm not the most studious of individuals and I tend to employ the Vancian magic system of "fire and forget" when it comes to education. ;)

25. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    You know what the irony is? Today's Tories are forever going on about community and social obligations etc - well guess who shredded that beyond repair with the outlook of 'look out for number one above all'? [face_mischief]

Also, other countries that are arguably more to the right than the UK, would not contemplate some of what Thatcher did - especially some of the privatisations that involved utility companies. She shifted the country from manufacturing to finance, but now that's all collapsing what do we have left? Not much.

I quite like Macmillan's view of privatisation, that it's selling the family silver - i.e. getting rid of something highly valuable for a fraction of its true worth.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.