main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Apropos of Nothing - ACKBAR IN CAPITALS - The Lit Forum Social Thread, v2.0.15

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    Perfect.

jSarek likes this.
  2. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Because the crispy jokes never get old:
    [​IMG]

3. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Hey, the South isn't completely awful. I'm here. :p

OK, the South is awful except for me.

I've never heard of a lionfish rodeo and I'm having trouble envisioning the concepts of "fish" and "rodeo" together. How the hell do you get the fish on a horse?

And I just got the 10k trophy. I've never run that far in my life.

4. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Hopefully you mean you've never run that far at any one time :p

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  5. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    LOL, touché.

I've run that far in three days or so before, just never in one session.

6. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Longest I've ever done at one time would be... 8 to 10 miles, wasn't exactly sure how long and the coach wasn't terribly clear... that was an agony though (I could never do a marathon!). 3 miles / 5k are just about perfect racing distance though. Sadly, I haven't done one in... actually, you know, I'm not going to count how many years it's been because I don't want to know.

7. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    I am too. I believe this only strengthens my point.

8. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Re: running. Three miles is pretty much my limit. And I haven't done that in awhile.

My 61-year-old mother runs the Tar Heel Ten Miler every year though.

9. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Clever Affleck comment.

10. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    He was the bomb in Phantoms.

Todd the Jedi and CooperTFN like this.
  11. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    I'm willing to give him a shot. People didn't think Christian Bale or Michael Keaton could pull of the cape and cowl, either. And hey, all he has to do is be better than George Clooney, and he'll be fine.

12. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    I will copy/paste my comments from the JCC thread:

The main concern I have about this casting isn't Affleck's talent, but this whole "Batman is the elder, veteran crimefighter to Supes newbie" thing they seem set on.

"He has the acting chops to create a layered portrayal of a man who is older and wiser than Clark Kent and bears the scars of a seasoned crime fighter, but retain the charm that the world sees in billionaire Bruce Wayne." -- Snyder

I mean, fair play if they want to try something different, but I'm so used to them being of comparative ages and experience that this seems really, really weird. Especially if they're wanting this to progress into a Justice League movie.

Though if this means that Affleck's first solo Batman film is also his last, and we get DICK GRAYSON BATMAN in the JL movie, all will be forgiven.

13. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    It's clear they want to tap into DKR as much as they possibly can, and that's way harder with a newbie Batman. And even going forward into JL, I can see how Bats would play more plausibly as an equal to the others if he's been around for a while.

As for Affleck specifically, I think he could do a good job if the role is handled right. I'm more disappointed insofar as it seems very uncreative on WB's part--"Affleck's popular, get him in a superhero thing. He doesn't want to direct Justice League? **** it, offer him Batman."

14. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    It's a bad call. Boring casting that doesn't have any surprise or positive vibes attached. Maybe he'll be okay, maybe he'll be good . . . but there are plenty of actors out there you don't have to say "maybe" about.

15. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    As a friend of mine said online:

krtmd and CooperTFN like this.
  16. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    After the misfire that is DArk Knight rises, I have no problem with Affleck taking over the role. Maybe Matt Damon as Robin, and we could have some cool Dogma references...

17. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    At work tonight, a friend of mine texted his girlfriend and asked her who the worst possible pick for Batman would be. Her first answer was Matt Damon. He replied, close. Her next pick was Ben Affleck.

Like I said, I'm willing to give him a shot, and I think he'll be perfectly serviceable. But Uli is right, if they're planning on transitioning to a Justice League franchise from this movie, unless they turn Dick Grayson (Or Joseph Gordon-Levit's character from DKR) into Batman, they're going about it the wrong way. Making Batman the grizzled old veteran to Supes young, naive hero is a surefire way to not only mess up the team dynamics, but also tick a lot of people off, especially the Superman fans.

18. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    So Daredevil is going to be Batman? Well, the Human Torch somehow ended up as Captain America, so I don't really know what to think about this development.

CooperTFN likes this.
  19. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    Could have been Nick Cage...

20. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I don't have a problem with Affleck, but after Man of Steel, I won't see this movie until it streams on Netflix.

I didn't hate Man of Steel but it wasn't worth ten dollars plus popcorn.

GrandAdmiralJello likes this.
  21. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    I think Man of Steel took care of that just fine. I liked it alright myself, but it was decidedly not a love letter to Superman dogma.

22. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    Gorefiend and The Loyal Imperial like this.
  23. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Finally. I knew they HAD to be coming, and was surprised they weren't a starting faction. Free content a month after release is ok though.

24. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    Oh, and the first paid DLC pack will be nomadic cultures- Roxolani, Scythians, and Massagetae.

ETA: I'm rather digging this whole free DLC thing they are doing.

25. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Yeah huh -- as much as I despise paid faction DLC, I might buy those just because they're giving us the really cool ones -- Athens, Sparta, Epirus, Pontos, and the Seleucidae -- for free.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.