main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Apropos of Nothing - ACKBAR IN CAPITALS - The Lit Forum Social Thread, v2.0.15

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    It's a pretty spot on parody. Have to say, though, even as someone who loves indie folk, I find Mumford & Sons hopelessly boring. Still looking for a better modern folk album than Sun Kil Moon's Ghosts of the Great Highway.

2. Bib Fartuna

Bib Fartuna Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 4, 2012
    While we are on the subject of indy music ... check out this FIFTEEN year old, fingerstyle guitar (Ben Lapps) ... amazing!

3. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    The Cave
    Winter Winds
    I Will Wait
    Roll Away Your Stone
    Lover of the Light

I love Mumford and Sons.

4. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    Sigh No More (song, not album) will forever be my favourite of theirs.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  5. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Speaking of carbonite -- they had this thing (quite expensive!) at C6 where they'd do some sort of body scan on you or something, and then make a collectible of YOU frozen in carbonite. It was pretty neat.

6. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    Could you do whatever pose you want? Because I'd have to get myself holding a tommy gun frozen in carbonite.

Bib Fartuna likes this.
  7. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    [​IMG]

Pictured: Jello's carbonite pose. And outfit.

Bib Fartuna likes this.
  8. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Nah, it'd have to in a toga!

9. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Compromise!

[​IMG]

jSarek likes this.
  10. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
  11. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    Ganner Krieg, as portrayed by Ganner Krieg.

12. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    I am looking for an old school, basic graphics game to keep on my work laptop for long flights. Some sort of strategy/tactical game that is essentially a table top game, ala Sierra's Civil War and Civil War II: Generals. Something basic, fun to play, and not something that will eat alot of juice on a long flight.

Any suggestions?

--Adm. Nick

13. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
  14. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Anything Civ related.

15. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    I should of said other than chess. :p I was thinking more military games.

blackmyron

Yeah, I have played the old Civs for decades, so I am looking for something different.

--Adm. Nick

16. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    Nick, did you ever play the Civ-related Alpha Centauri?

17. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    Briefly, but it has been years. I seem to recall it being similar to Civ, but based on a new world, right?

--Adm. Nick

18. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    Sort of. It was during a time when Sid Meyers and Firaxis were on the outs, and Firaxis kept the Civ name (and put out two rather awful Civ games). The factions are all ideological instead of cultural, and the unit design is modular. There's also some great advanced concepts, like terraforming where you can alter the fabric of the planet (my favorite techniques were to sink enemy cities, or create land bridges to move troops across straits).

19. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    If you're in possession of a GBA, a DS, or computer-based magic (no comment!) then I highly recommend Advanced Wars, Advanced Wars 2, and Advanced Wars: DS. Very fun turn based tactical gameplay, with some cartoonish humor to boot!

Plus, you play for the side dedicated to freedom and all that other silly nonsense :p

Cynical_Ben likes this.
  20. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    Speaking of Advanced Wars, I've actually been wanting to try one of those games. My question: do I go for Dual Strike or Days of Ruin?

21. Bib Fartuna

Nov 4, 2012
    Surely, the costumer (Thomas Spanos) MUST sign his name using a portmanteau ... Thanos!

22. Bib Fartuna

Nov 4, 2012
    This might sound strange, however, as an adult, I have never learnt how to play chess. I have watched a few doco's recently on Bobby Fischer and Kasparov vs. Deep Blue, which has inspired me. Have ordered a book (yes, sheepishly admit that it is part of 'for dummies' range), however, I am looking forward to learning how to play.

23. Bib Fartuna

Nov 4, 2012
    That game was awesome! Is it still available (ie: would it work on modern PC's?)

24. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006

Try the Battle for Wesnoth. It's a fantasy game in the style you're looking for with many different campaigns. It's free, and updated a bit, with user created storylines. http://www.wesnoth.org/

Another is Triple A, which is essentially a free Axis and Allies with many different maps to download. You can replay the original A&A, or a World War I variant. There are fantasy maps (such as Middle-Earth) and other historical maps such as the Six Day War, Civil War, Napoleonic Wars, Great Northern War, etc. http://triplea.sourceforge.net/mywiki/ScreenShots

AdmiralNick22 likes this.
  25. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    ooooh. Honestly, start with Advance Wars 1. The story -- such that it is -- is a big part of the fun, imo. It's not just tactics, but it's character based. The COs are funny, funny characters and I don't think you'll appreciate the injokes in the subsequent games unless you start at the beginning. Plus, then you'll appreciate all the refinements they've made each game!

But if you have to play the DS games first, go for Dual Strike. Days of Ruin is completely separate from the previous continuity, and I just... don't find it as fun. The tactical gameplay is improved, definitely, but it loses out a lot in personality: the cartoonish charm was a HUGE part of it, as was the fact that each faction roughly correlated to a real life nation in the WWII era.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.