main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Apropos of Nothing - ACKBAR IN CAPITALS - The Lit Forum Social Thread, v2.0.15

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006

2. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I tried to watch The Office; the hyperactive obnoxious boss annoyed the hell out of me.

But Breaking Bad is a completely different type of story.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2.

3. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    I hope I find time to watch it one day. But writing walls of text about it would take more time than actually watching it.

...what do you mean that you can watch shows without writing walls of text about it?

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  4. The_Forgotten_Jedi

The_Forgotten_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 12, 2010
    Having finished GTA V over the weekend, I can safely say that GTA IV is still my favorite in the franchise (please don't throw things at me, the story just struck a chord with me over any of the other GTA's). A lot of the supporting characters felt undeveloped, particularly those associated with Trevor, and it felt short for a GTA game. The gameplay was really fun though, and all the heists were a blast. I hope some more are released as DLC. I really liked Michael though. I think he is my second favorite GTA protagonist after Niko.

5. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I liked the Office because of the relationships between the co-workers: Dwight and Jim, Jim and Pam, etc. It was the ensemble that made the show. Oddly enough though, even though Michael annoyed me and I hated most times he was on screen, his departure also kinda signaled the decline of the show too. I stopped watching in the middle of that season -- it's one of a handful of shows I've ever given up on (others being 30 Rock, and soon to be Downton Abbey).

6. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Well you three were no help at all! :p I just went on Wikipedia to see what it was about and they give away the entire plot, including what I assume to be the ending, in the first sentence.
    Well screw that.

7. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
  8. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    All I know about Breaking Bad is that it is one of the inspirations of Colbert Reports Breaking Abbey

9. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Request.... denied.

[​IMG]

10. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    Looking at the article now it doesn't give away anything unless its been edited.

11. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Sorry. :( If I hadn't been at work and had had more than a few minutes, I could have given you a spoiler-free better explanation anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2.

12. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    So checking on Wookieepedia, I found out the Clone Wars adventures added some distinct planetary based Jedi sects to the lore. I am very pleased by this development.

On the other hand, their lightsabers are really stretching the lightsaber idea too far for my taste.

13. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    I've actually been playing GTA IV recently, just exploring around the setting after doing a few of the early missions. Honestly? The city is pretty sparse, especially compared to the earlier games. There's only three clothing shops in the entire city. I couldn't go into the Russian bar across the street despite the interior being available in one of the missions (and is, oddly enough, accessible in the DLCs). There's block after block of nothing, not even buildings in missions. And the mission buildings tend to be "abandoned tenement - abandoned tenement - abandoned tenement".
    The criminal groups are ill-defined. The prior games all had relatively flesh-outed gangs and criminal organizations - GTA IV has a lot of 'dudes' that are vaguely associated with one person or another. Of the six big crime families, only three play any role. And reading police entries and news articles in-game, they repeatedly hammer the point home that the crime families are going to all be gone in a year. I GET IT CRIME DOESN'T PAY. I suppose it might count as topical that the illegal scumbag employer that gets off scot free in the game is the CIA, which has no repercussions for the illegal murders they have you commit (and the mission giver has none of the charm of James Woods from San Andreas).
    I'll still continue killing time in GTA IV (and Oblivion) for now, while Batman and Deadly Premonitions are pending.

14. The_Forgotten_Jedi

The_Forgotten_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 12, 2010
    The city being sparse doesn't really bug me, although having all those random events in GTA V does make the world seem much more alive, I'll give it that.

I never got the feeling that the criminal groups were ill-defined. There was certainly a lot of cooperation, double-crossing, and some overlap, but I always had a good idea who each character was affiliated with. I guess I just really enjoyed and connected with the characters in GTA IV, something which I didn't get with a lot of characters in V. Trevor's hilarious, but too psychopathic to really connect with, Franklin's motivations never felt clearly defined to me, and their supporting characters were weak compared to Michael's family and Dave Norton. No character in V caught my attention like Phil Bell, Dwayne, Packie, and others did in IV. Plus, there seemed to be a lack of mission givers compared to previous GTA's, IMO.

15. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    A lot of the early missions are "come with me while I meet these other guys - hey, it's a shootout!" Who are the other guys? What's their motivation? Anybody's guess.

Argh, and the stupid heroin and diamond missions. ESPECIALLY THE DIAMONDS. I don't appreciate playing a dozen missions going after some stupid diamonds - and repeat the process for two DLCs, for everyone to have completely wasted their time - or, more importantly, my time. The Official Guide even makes a snide remark about how you always seem to fail when trying to get the Big Score "almost like the message is that crime doesn't pay". That, I think, is what caused me to jump ship to Saint's Row. GTA IV has your character at the end looking to be spending his next evening with either a whiskey bottle or a gun barrel in his mouth. SA3 has your character a few years away from being President of the US.

GTA IV did have the 'random strangers' which was one of the game's better touches, especially when they build on the otherwise meaningless 'choices' in the game.

16. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    Man, I just spoke with Vivec on Morrowind. I had forgotten how awesome that segment is, even if Vivec is a dirty lying murderer.

[​IMG]

MercenaryAce likes this.
  17. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    As if it needed confirmation :p

Also, impending government shutdown, YAY. :(

18. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    http://www.theonion.com/articles/us...lMarketing&utm_campaign=LinkPreview:1:Default

"Already donning the bib overalls, Stetson hats, and festive gingham skirts that they will wear throughout what is expected to be a long and strenuous hoedown, legislators on both sides of the aisle told reporters that there is little chance of Democrats and Republicans negotiating a last-minute deal that would forestall a countrified barn burner the likes of which the federal government has never before seen."

19. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    So, that means there are no laws right?

Hey - RIOT!
    [​IMG]

20. Lazy Storm Trooper

Lazy Storm Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Sep 18, 2012
    The next Games for Gold titles are Might & Magic Clash of Heroes and Halo 3. [face_plain]

21. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Actually, I was just emailing with an Assistant U.S. Attorney who specifically told me that their offices are classes as essential. Consequently, you will not get your checks, national parks, tax refunds, social security stuff, or anything like that... but you can still totally be prosecuted. Good times.

22. Trip

Trip Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003

i think i just peed a little

23. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    MSNBC has a "Shutdown Cam". Bernie Sanders is waving his arms a lot. I love news.

24. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    It's kind of morbidly fun talking to people and seeing who's going to work tomorrow and who'll be shutting down and getting a half day.

25. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    OH MY GOD I JUST REALIZED I MIGHT NOT HAVE TO DO COURT FILINGS TOMORROW

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.