main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Apropos of Nothing - ACKBAR IN CAPITALS - The Lit Forum Social Thread, v2.0.15

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Your X-Men reading has been seriously lacking Coop, allow me to complete your training.....

It's based, loosely, on the classic 2-parter Days of Future Past in Uncanny X-Men 141-142, published Jan-Feb 1981. Years before Terminator, X-Men did the whole story of having a time-traveller go back in time specifically to avert a dark future where all was lost. In years to come it would be riffed on many times, but this was the first one.

2. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Let me clarify--I've read Days of Future Past. I still don't understand what I'm looking at. ;)

3. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    They send Wolverine back in time to stop a load of bad crap happening - what's so hard?

4. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Two days 'til bar results... sigh.

5. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    Long and short: the movie looks like Fox's answer to The Avengers, cramming all of their most popular characters and actors into one movie regardless of how it affects the past-Xmen's storyline. It angers me, because I wanted to see a follow-up to First Class that continued that group, not see the old team come back. As much as I love Sirs Patrick Stewart and Ian Mckellen in their roles, and even Hugh Jackman, the First Class team were fantastic in their movie and deserved a proper sequel that could stand on its own merits.

That and I found that trailer horribly underwhelming. It gets down on its knees and pleads for emotional resonance, for the audience to feel something, and yet, everything is left so vague its impossible to feel anything unless you're privy to the story already. And even then it doesn't help all that much. They're like "You remember all of these characters! You love them! Now see the old and the new all together in one movie! Please give us your money!"

I enjoyed the trailer for the Mister Peabody and Sherman movie more, honestly.

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  6. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Good luck GrandAdmiralJello .

As far as X-Men...I have never seen a movie or read the comics. *ducks*

7. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    I'm not quite as, ah, cynical, as Ben, but kind of what he said--I very much love the notion of a DoFP movie, but the context is so far afield from anything in the existing movies--even, seemingly, the tease after The Wolverine--that I'm not sure what to make of it. Time travel? Trask in the 70s? Dogs and cats, living together?

8. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    I hate to be this shallow, but ... I find that a compelling sales pitch.

9. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    So, last night, I was grinding my way through Frost Cavern. I had a wild encounter and had captured a Haunter in the dark. I named him Nyarlathotep.

Bonus points to whomever picks up the reference and sly, slightly-reworded pun.

RC-1991 likes this.
  10. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    I don't think I've ever read that particular story. I do recognize the title, and of course dear old Narly.

11. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    [​IMG]

I confess that I haven't actually read the H.P. Lovecraft story; I just played a game of Arkham Horror.

TrakNar likes this.
  12. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    RE: X-Men Days of Future Past, yes the movie will not follow the famous 1980's comic. However, I think it still has tremendous potential. That trailer has echos of the epic was that X-Men: Last Stand lacked. It also allows for a potential "reboot" of sorts if the future is changed that allows for additional X-Men movies. I loved X-Men and X-Men: United, but the series needs to repair the damage done in the third movie. Hell, if I had it my way, the only thing from the third movie that I would keep would be Kelsey Grammar as Beast. Jettison the rest.

--Adm. Nick

13. patchworkz7

patchworkz7 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 26, 2004

I think that's the sales pitch for the current BATTLE OF THE ATOM cross-over taking place in all the X-titles, which has actually be surprisingly fun and well-written. The original five X-Men have been brought forward in time and shown what a mess things are and X-Men from the future show up to tell present X-Men that they need to send those originals back RIGHT NOW even though Prof X will mind-wipe them as soon as he learns what happened because knowing future stuff is bad...and then MORE future X-Men show up to deal with disagreements the only way the X-Men know how to...

...by punching each other repeatedly.

And Dazzler is an Agent of Shield! What more do you need?!?

CooperTFN likes this.
  14. patchworkz7

patchworkz7 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 26, 2004

I'm sorry to hear that Ben. I've lost several family members this past year and when my mother passed it was quick and unexpected...and I still don't know if that was better or not.

I'm sorry you and your family have to go through this, and I don't think there's any easy answer to the "does knowing make it better or worse?" question...I think it just makes it different.

15. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    Anyone heard of the ultra conservative news blog Twitchy? I stumbled on it randomly, and have had way too much fun sorting through the comments. Regardless of political opinion, I think most can agree that some of these people are insane. They hate liberals more than Zeta hates TCW. It's actually kind of cute.

16. tjace

tjace Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2008
    Just finished The Lies of Locke Lamora, an excellent book.

17. CaptainPeabody

CaptainPeabody Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jul 15, 2008
    That's pretty much all comments on every news site ever. They're pretty much all insane.

Personally, I try to imagine most people in Internet comment boxes are really just the same ten people in an insane asylum in Colney Hatch posting over and over again under different aliases. It helps me to maintain my faith in humanity.

18. Cynical_Ben

Aug 12, 2013
    Anyone with a Steam account and a dual-stick controller of some description needs to go and buy Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons like, right now. It's on sale, and it's probably the most emotional video game I've played since Mother 3. It's basically the Xbox/PC equivalent of Journey, only with even more character. There are few video games out there that actually make me cry, and Brothers managed it quite handily. It's worth every dollar/pound/euro you spend on it. I don't shill for many games, but Brothers is something special.

instantdeath likes this.
  19. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    ...I really need to play Mother 3. I started it a while back, but didn't get very far at all.

20. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    Will do on both games, though I'm wondering how necessary would you deem the dual-stick controller? I do intend to buy one one of these days.

As for emotional games, I really need to play To the Moon.

21. Cynical_Ben

Aug 12, 2013
    For Brothers? You actually need a controller of some description to play it; the game is controlled with the two sticks and the four shoulder buttons, nothing else. It's worth it, though, believe me.

22. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Yo Disney fans:

23. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Ric Olié, the early years:

[​IMG]

I realise this was most certainly common knowledge, but I was unaware.

[​IMG]

24. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    All I'm seeing are blogposts supporting Ted Cruz, endless blogposts. Does nobody else realise that the Tea Party is nuts? The party brought the freakin' country to its knees last month!
    I just don't understand the Tea Party mindset, I truly don't.

25. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    For the best posts you have to go back to the Obama/Romney election. The bitterness and general butthurt was intoxicating.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.