main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Apropos of Nothing - ACKBAR IN CAPITALS - The Lit Forum Social Thread, v2.0.15

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    This begs the question; what were you searching?

2. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    What makes the image even more surreal is that they're both holding Mr. T merchandising -- like it's more of an advertisement than some sort of weird White House pop culture event or something.

3. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    Perhaps something about Mr. T, despite making a career out of acting tough, is really a nice guy. This would undoubtedly strengthen his point about the EU's need for layered, three-dimensional villains, and would reference Lord Vader's secret tendency to appear frightening to his subordinates, but give presents to disadvantaged orphans in his free time.

4. CaptainPeabody

CaptainPeabody Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jul 15, 2008
    Am I the only one who's seen that picture before? Perhaps my Mr. T fandom is more advanced than thine.
    Mr. T is, in fact, a very nice fellow. He also produced a motivational video for kids called "Be Somebody or Be Somebody's Fool," which is one of my favorite things ever. It's on my harddrive, but here's a youtube version in parts:
    This is probably one of my favorite segments:

We live, my good sirs and ladies, in a wonderful world.

Havac likes this.
  5. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Whatever the piece was, I want three of it.

RC-1991 and The Loyal Imperial like this.
  6. Bib Fartuna

Bib Fartuna Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 4, 2012
    Mr. T and the "Flavour Wave"

Superman Retires (cartoon featuring Superman and Mr T, dubbed with Rocky III dialogue!)

7. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    My 6-year-old now has a Mr. T Mohawk. I have his father to thank for that one. *headdesk*

Hi all. I've been reading Traitor, one chapter at a time because I keep crying and highlighting passages...

Trip, Barriss_Coffee, RC-1991 and 2 others like this.
  8. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    Traitor isn't what you should be crying about.

9. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    She's obviously reading Traitor as a means to cope. Existential angst is good for that.

Point Given likes this.
  10. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    Playing Assassin's Creed II, I'm really struck my how much I love the soundtrack. AC had a great soundtrack as well, to my recollection (made great use of world instruments), but was much more understated. The AC II soundtrack really draws you in. I've been listening to the standalone soundtrack as well, and it's so much better when it's not relegated to the background (I really wish it were more prominent in the mix of the original game).

11. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Oh, AC2 is my absolute favorite soundtrack of the series (though I am fond of Brohood too, just because the music there seems as familiar to me as Roma itself now). But AC2's Firenze music in particular... love it. Also the challenge/race music (the track they remixed for SC5) is great too.

12. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    I still consider the "Ezio's Family" theme to be 'the' Assassin's Creed theme.

I feel like AC2 has even more impact if you play it immediately after playing through AC1. the Levant in 1191 is such a profoundly bleak and depressing setting- even the color palette is a bit washed out. Then you jump into AC2 and the vivacity is just infectious.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  13. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Well not all of it -- some of the cities are a little dark -- particularly the midgame ones (don't know if you're avoiding spoilers, ID, so I'm being vague).

14. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    My brother has beaten the games, so I have a very vague idea of what happens throughout the games (Ezio kills the Pope maybe? Then he forms a merry group of assassins and lives to a ripe age), and that Assassin's Creed 3 has an ending that's very reviled, but beyond that I'm fairly unspoiled on the details, so I definitely appreciate the courtesy.

For reference, I've reached Venice. I love this city; gorgeous visuals to the point where you don't mind just walking around aimlessly (while punching any obnoxious bard that, for some reason, decides to the most dangerous and aloof looking man in the crowd is the perfect man to follow and sing to), and I love the soundtrack here, as it's what prompted my earlier comment.

Still, as I'm also playing GTA V on and off, I'm amused to note that I end up killing much more innocents- in this case, innocent guards who commit the unforgivable crime of yelling at me while I'm roof jumping- than I do in GTA. I'm an honest, casualty avoiding criminal in GTA O:)

15. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Oh, you're at Venice. Well, I was talking about San Gimigiano and Forli, primarily. Color pallet seems to shift towards dark and dismal there, before getting colorful again at Venice. :p

16. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    Forli = basically a swamp.

Speaking of GTAV: they learnt to bend the knee.
    [​IMG]

RC-1991 and GrandAdmiralJello like this.
  17. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    San Gimignano isn't dark. It's bright, lovely Tuscan countryside. It's just Forli that's a dank mudhole.

Anyway, the AC scores all tend to be pretty great. I love the Middle Eastern influences on the AC and ACR scores, and the main theme for ACII and ACB is insanely awesome. I'm disappointed that ambient music kind of disappeared for ACIII.

I'll let you know after the piece comes out.

Mia Mesharad likes this.
  18. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004

o_O Aside from the wrong side winning the war, but that is historical fact, there really is nothing wrong with it.

19. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    Don't point the disparaging eyebrow at me, I'm just the messenger :(

Gorefiend likes this.
  20. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    Actually (double posting because the edit feature isn't working), I'm pretty sure much of the ending hate comes from Desmond's side of things.

21. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    My only gripes with AC come from the Desmond side as well,
    so him getting himself killed is rather fine with me.

22. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    Did they just drop Desmond from ACIV or what? I'm so confused. I don't really want to buy Black Flag after the bore fest that was III.

23. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    From what I understand (which, as we've already established, I'm not the best source), there's a new modern protagonist... and it's a game designer. Sounds fun to me.

24. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    Desmond sacrifices himself to save the world at the end of 3. The Templars dig up his corpse and use it to mine his DNA for information, your unnamed new player character (essentially you yourself) are an Abstergo employee that gets that very job for the Edward part of his memories.

Then don't if you don't want to. ;) Though I loved AC 3 and had a blast playing a few hours of AC 4.

25. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    A number of the quests take place during the evening, and that place looks forbidding during nighttime. I don't dislike it as much as Forli, but it's close. The open air is what saves it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.