main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Apropos of Nothing - ACKBAR IN CAPITALS - The Lit Forum Social Thread, v2.0.15

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    AOTC is the nexus of suck for the entire PT. It ruins Anakin, setting up a characterization from which ROTS tries and fails to recover, it botches the setup for the Clone Wars, it botches the love story and nixes Padme as an effective character. Basically, all of ROTS's problems stem from AOTC anyway. There are at least some parts of ROTS that don't suck, some signs that they were trying; AOTC is a mess from beginning to end. And to boot, it's the worst-scored, worst-shot Star Wars film. AOTC makes ROTS look like ROTJ.

jSarek likes this.
  2. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    AOTC is the worst scored film? I thought it had some of the best music of the PT. Otherwise I agree. The pacing alone ruins the film.

3. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Across the Stars, Love Pledge and the Arena and Confrontation with Dooku are awesome from the soundtrack. Also the entire Execution Arena scene and battle after that up to the Dooku lightsaber stuff are some of the best scenes of the saga.

4. Darth_Henning

Darth_Henning Jedi Master star 4

Jun 1, 2007
    Well...um....the 3 minutes of clone vs. droid ground battles that we see are good.....

and...kinda yoda vs. Dooku?......

Yeah. That's all I've got.

5. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    I know that all the Anakin/Padmé stuff is bad, but the fireplace scene in AotC is the only scene in any SW movie I refuse to watch.

6. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    Lucas seems to be overly indulgent with the prequels. We're supposed to buy Han and Leia's romance without nearly as much screen time and dialogue, and we're supposed to buy the potential for Luke to turn to the dark side without having nearly as much screen time devoted to Luke vowing not to fail again after his aunt and uncle are murdered and then having visions of his friends dying on Endor or whatever. I have to wonder how well the film would work if the picnic, dinner, and fireplace scenes were just cut from it, as well as the whole "I thought we had agreed not to fall in love" dialogue in the arena, with just the kiss at the lake and then the kiss at the arena.

7. Havac

Sep 29, 2005
    Yoda vs. Dooku was a disaster. Worst duel in the films by far. Boring to watch, poorly conceived, bad for Yoda, bad for lightsaber dueling in general.

It's got a few good themes, and I like the speeder chase score, but too much of it is choppy recycling of out-of-place cues from the other scores. It's not bad, I just don't think it holds up as well as the other scores.

EDIT: On the romance, I think it was a mistake to do pure romance sequences. What worked with Han and Leia was that they had preestablished sexual tension, they started the film with chemistry, and then they drew closer in the course of thrilling adventures. That's always going to be more entertaining and involving than two people with weak chemistry lolling around in the grass and on couches mumbling about how nice they think the other one is but oh I can't be in love. Had they gone to Naboo, and then kept in the scene with Padme's family where her mom and sister are like, "You like him, don't you?" and she's like, "I ain't got time for that," to set up her side of the romance angle, and then skipped to Tatooine and Geonosis and had them actually interacting and bonding over the course of actual shared adventures there, instead of all the lake resort stuff, it would have landed a lot better.

8. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    I think Lucas is responsible for cutting up the scores to I and II, at least. They aren't how Williams intended them.

9. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Hav, I think that my biggest problem with ROTS is that I don't think it actually tried to make up for AOTC: imo it continued in the same vein, and in fact, got worse. As painful as the romance scenes were in AOTC, there's nothing compared to the utterly cringe inducing "it's because I'm so in love with you" "*serious expression* so you're saying love has blinded you?" I mean seriously where did these guys learn to flirt, a monastery?

TrakNar likes this.
  10. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    That was a post production scene that wasn't in the script, too.

11. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    Yeah, the romance was just... ugh. AotC was tolerable in comparison.

And speaking of romance, I just bred my two Alakazams and got a Bold Synchronize Abra who hates to lose. I plan to set my male Alakazam up for stud service.

RC-1991 likes this.
  12. Havac

Sep 29, 2005
    Yeah, but that's what we've got.

Jello: Well, there was at least the lighthearted banter of the Invisible Hand mission trying to show Anakin as something other than just a sullen a-hole, the return of some sense of epic sweep. It's not a film that completely works, but at least you can tell that they were all trying very hard to stick the landing; they knew this was the big one it had all been building up to, and they hit at least some notes of heroism and emotion. Sure, the flirting sucked, but that's far from the only thing that sucked about AOTC.

13. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004

I imaging they might use something like it for their Rebellion products to replace the rather fun Grinner comments that their Fringe books get.

14. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    Tag and Bink manage to salvage that scene, epically.

jSarek and Force Smuggler like this.
  15. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Yes, actually. At least Anakin did. :p

That's why I'm forgiving of the awkward-as-hell dialogue in AOTC. Anakin wasn't supposed to have any idea how to talk to women or handle a crush. He was never going to be Han Solo.

The scene you mentioned was cheesy but didn't bother me, and I actually love the scene in which Padme tells Anakin that she's pregnant, it's one of few ROTS scenes that I'll watch.

I agree with Havac about Padme's family scenes though; those should have been included in AOTC.

16. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    As much as I'd like to end this abyss-looking prequel-talk and instead talk of how great Frozen is, it is a film that should be watched without any knowledge other than that it is a Disney film. It really blew me away.

17. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    TOLD YOU.

Everyone should watch it. Don't ask any questions about it, go in knowing as little as possible and have fun.

18. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Love me some Frozen. I'm preordering the Blu-Ray.

GrandAdmiralJello likes this.
  19. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    I've already done so, I think. One of the very very few blurays I've ever preordered (or bought period, I guess). And I think I already want to see it again in theaters.

20. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    I do plan to see Frozen at some point, but I feel like it's my duty to see Tangled first. [face_blush]

The most telling thing about that is how little they had to change the real dialogue.

21. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    That's because Anakin is playing the scene straight.

RC-1991 likes this.
  22. krtmd

krtmd Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    Oh dear. Just stop by my house. It's been on a continuous loop since Xmas day.

I liked Frozen, but I thought the songs were a bit weak, TBH.

23. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    I hold Disney songs to an extremely high standard, which is one thing that makes me wary of Frozen.

Josh Gad is the other thing.

24. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Coop, stop posting and watch Tangled and Frozen right now. That's an order.

I liked the songs better than the ones in Tangled, but of course they're both far from Disney's heights of musical glory between Mermaid and King. (honorable mention to Mulan of course).

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  25. krtmd

krtmd Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    To be fair, I've only seen Frozen once, whereas I'm pretty sure I can recite portions of Tangled in my sleep. Something about Rapunzel really speaks to my 4 year old.

But yeah, neither movie's songs stand up to something like the Lion King.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.