main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Apropos of Nothing - ACKBAR IN CAPITALS - The Lit Forum Social Thread, v2.0.15

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Wow. Then I must have the PG version because I don't remember anything that's particularly bad. But it's been years and years since I saw the movie so...

2. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    ID if you open that spoiler tag I will end you.

3. Mia Mesharad

Mia Mesharad Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    While you're not wrong about the Robins, the Teen Titans TV series isn't actually a part of the DCAU, and occupies a separate universe of its own. Common misconception. Presumably, there was also an incarnation of the Teen Titans team in the DCAU―most DC universes seem to develop one, either the Titans or Young Justice―whose offscreen exploits Tim Drake was a part of. It's a little confusing, with the series running concurrently and all, but it still works when you remember the parallel universe point.

It's excellent.

It has the same sort of feel as the original Batman and Superman animated series, a part of the universe, but also somewhat removed and focused on the singular hero and his rogue's gallery. But you can absolutely go straight on to Justice League. I would only advise that after you watch the Twilight (of the Gods) episodes, you check out the Static Shock episodes, A League of Their Own and at some point before Justice League Unlimited, you check out Fallen Hero. They're good tie-ins, and they'll give you a general feel for the Static Shock series.

Contessa, instantdeath and Revanfan1 like this.
  4. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    Have to say, I'm really looking forward to this movie, if nothing else than to see Mark Hamill's Joker go pure psychotic, as he does in the Arkham games. I love his portrayal in BTAS, but due to the restriction of on screen killings, I couldn't help feel that he was sometimes less menacing than he could have been; of course, there was a perfect explanation, in that the Joker is incredibly schitzophrenic, and can be a (not so) harmless prankster one day and a mass murderer the next. We mostly see the prankster side of him in BTAS, though there is that one episode where Joker tries to nuke Gotham (that episode has one of my favorite scenes in the DCAU; Joker proclaiming his love for Harley after she tries to blow his head off. Best romance in comics).

5. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    Uh, kark? I've seen the second version only, and it's pretty karked up already, but that first one...I actually think that's even more karked up! So I'm assuming the second was the PG-13 version? I'd never seen that first version before that and it kind of disturbed me. :eek:

Did not know this. Thanks for the info.

6. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    I read all about the scene change (and that's just the one major one; there are a bunch of smaller ones throughout the movie) during the production, and I refused to buy it until they finally released the uncut version a year or two later. Best decision I ever made.

Mia Mesharad and Revanfan1 like this.
  7. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Revanfan1 likes this.
  8. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I've seen both versions and yeah, uncut FTW. Our Family Memories :D

Ah, the DCAU, so good. Batman Beyond was a much better follow up to BTAS than JL/JLU. Plus, watching BB before JLU makes the Epilogue episode of JLU way better.

I definitely liked Static Shock. Never heard of The Zeta Project, though. [face_thinking] And Teen Titans is the greatest thing ever. Not only did it have Ron Perlman as the man baddie, but Malcolm freakin' McDowell played a villain once or twice!

Revanfan1 and Force Smuggler like this.
  9. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    Unless I'm mistaken, Malcolm McDowell was a regular in Superman The Animated Series, as Metallo. He's awesome. Committed much ultra-violence.

Cynical_Ben and Mia Mesharad like this.
  10. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
  11. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Not that the edited version was much better on the death scene anyway. But yeah karked up indeed.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  12. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    instantdeath Eh, STAS is the only DCAU I'm not a huge fan of. Plus, his character in TT is pretty much a walking ad for A Clockwork Orange.

13. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    Todd the Jedi, the Epilogue episode of JL, while vague in my memory, was beyond awesome.

Force Smuggler, I don't have a problem with grimdark or anything like that, but I'm glad I never saw the PG version at age five; I may've been scarred for life! :p

Force Smuggler likes this.
  14. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Not a big fan of Superman (as much as Batman anyway) so someone convince me to watch Superman:The Animated Series.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  15. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    Uh, it's better than Man of Steel.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  16. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    It makes TNBA that much better.

17. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    The only episodes of STAS I remember are the ones with Mtzlplk or however you spell it, and he annoyed the fire out of me so I don't have overly fond memories of the show.

18. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    I saw one of the versions shortly after it came out in the early 2000's when I was 10 or so and had fond memories of it and the trailer and wasn't scarred. We do like the NJO so we must be somewhat crazy.

Todd the Jedi Haven't seen Man of Steel.
    CooperTFN That works.

I did watch that Batman/Superman team up special. That was pretty fun.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  19. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    There are a couple more crossovers after that. Not to mention the times Superman factors into BB.

20. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    Personally, I think STAS got Superman just right; a character who's able to do bat**** cosmic crazy and more down to earth stories, someone who genuinely likes and cares about people as individuals. They gave several great additions to his rogue galleries while providing definitive versions to classics (I will cut anyone who tries to claim that Michael Ironside is not the voice of Darkseid... and Gilbert Gottfried Mr Mxlwhatever :D). He was a little underpowered for my taste, but for the most part they did well.

Where STAS messed up big, in my opinion, is with Clark Kent. One thing I love about the original Superman movie is that Superman's disguise, if not plausible, is at least entertainable. Christopher Reeve was able to make Clark and Superman feel like two distinct people. That attempt isn't even made in STAS; Clark Kent is just Superman with glasses on. No slouched posture. No feigned meekness. Not even a slight change in voice. Clark is supposed to be the human side to Superman, the vulnerable side, but in STAS, he's just the boring side.

Lois is an even bigger casualty. Not only does Superman's non disguise make her look incredibly dense by association, but she seems to have no further role than being the damsel of distress every week, in stark contrast to Barbara Gordon from BTAS. Not only that, but for the most iconic romantic couple in the history of comics, the two could not be more boring together on screen. For all Smallville got wrong, one thing it did very well is create enough of a bond between Clark and his supporting characters to make the viewer want him to tell them his secret. In STAS, it's just something that's never addressed (though I do like to think that, in the last season or so, Lois knows very well that Clark and Superman are the same person, and is just letting him keep up the lie).

Overall I love STAS, as Superman is undoubtedly the main reason a person watches a, well, Superman show. Still, it would have been nice to have that human element in there as well. It would have been nice if Lois was made into the compelling supporting character she's meant to be.

Cynical_Ben and Revanfan1 like this.
  21. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Fair points, but...Dana Delaney. [face_love]

Revanfan1 likes this.
  22. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    Despite my criticisms, you should watch it. It has a few stumbles, but if nothing else it will make you realize how fun Superman can be as a character. Also, every time Darkseid opens his mouth you will feel the overpowering urge to bow down to your TV and think nothing out of the ordinary about it.

At bare minimum you need to watch the World's Finest arc. I'd also recommend everything with Darkseid.

23. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    NJO never...

Had someone die by being hit by a BANG flag.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  24. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Just a moon, blowing people up, ramming into ships, worlds, planets being terra-formed etc. No big deal.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  25. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    And hair plucking. Mustn't forget the hair plucking.

Revanfan1 and DigitalMessiah like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.