main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Apropos of Nothing - ACKBAR IN CAPITALS - The Lit Forum Social Thread, v2.0.15

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Not at all. I mean in terms of design. Were someone to convert the original LoZ into a 3D title, today, it would be MUCH more like Dark Souls than it would be like, say, Skyward Sword.

Though it does have some similarities with later games in the LoZ series, too. For instance, the first game (and suspect the second, too, but I'm not far enough in yet to say) shares an almost identical type of progression to that found in ALttP and OoT, with a scenario directly analogous to Link's quests of the "first half" to gather the spiritual stones.

2. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Patch -- what, you don't like the scenic 5 up through the glorious Central Valley? Where else will you get authentic cow smell through your AC?

But yeah the new Star Tours is pretty fun. I still like the original one better, but the variety of the new one is refreshing. Which segments did you get?

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

3. King of Alsakan

King of Alsakan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 25, 2007
    Latest X-Men trailer, get to see some of the action scenes this time:

4. Mat Skywalker

Mat Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2005
    Magneto is like a jedi master in this one :p although Im not a fan of X-men, this movie has my interest. Hopefully they balanced the character focus

Revanfan1 and darthscott3457 like this.
  5. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    Interesting, now I understand what you meant. I am not exactly the best judge of LoZ, because the first two LoZ games have always been defined as being extremely difficult to me. Which why I made sure to get ALttP once I discovered it existed.

6. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Gotta say, it looks great. Only X-Men movie I've ever seen was the newest Wolverine movie, and I was less than impressed, but this looks awesome!

7. King of Alsakan

King of Alsakan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 25, 2007
    I really liked the last X-Men First Class movie, especially in comparison to any of the original three X-Men movies. Nice to see both casts in the movie and I expect good things from this one, and my fingers are still crossed 2 more mutants from the original show up in it:)

Revanfan1 likes this.
  8. patchworkz7

patchworkz7 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 26, 2004

My wife and I drove down on PCH-1, which was absolutely amazing and gorgeous, and only added an hour and a half to our travel time, about twenty minutes of that being stuck behind a cop car because they'd closed the road so a film company could shoot something at the Bixby Bridge.

We also took a chance and used Silvercar, which is an app based service where you rent an Audi A4, and was simpler than going through a rental company. I had no intention of driving down Highway 1 in my wife's Mini Cooper, and I must say that the ride in the Audi was absolutely brilliant in every way. It wasn't that expensive either, tbh, when compared with what you end up spending on a regular rental car to get some compact thing. Their service was absolutely wonderful, and we stayed at the Hotel Indigo just a few blocks down from the parks.

I'd recommend the Indigo for anyone going to Disney or Wondercon. It's not far from the convention center from what I understand and it's about three or four blocks from the park entrance.

As to Star Tours, we got Vader stopping our ships and then fleeing to the podrace, and the finale being the race through the uncompleted Death Star while Fett chases us.

I did the original Star Tours years ago and the new version is great. I actually had no idea there were so many permutations to where the story could go or I would have perhaps tried to jump in a few more times, but we had a Fastpass for Space Mountain that was calling us.

Taking the Star Tours ride is a good way to remind one of the absolute joy so many people, young and old, take in Star Wars. I confess to grinning from ear to ear by the time the ride was done and I salute the programmers and Imagineers who did all the work there and on the rest of the park.

9. Mat Skywalker

Mat Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2005
    I liked X-men and X-2, Last stand and Origins were lame, I thought First Class was ok, and the Wolverine was passable. This one looks like it might be the proper conclusion to the original X-men movies

Revanfan1 likes this.
  10. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Yeah, I love the PCH. But sometimes it's a little too winding for my tastes. Once drive all the way from SoCal to Pebble Beach on it, and up north you're all long those coast ridges. Plenty scenic but I get sick easily as a passenger (I prefer to drive as a result) and there's no place to stop, and no phone service either.

Yeah, the Vader start is my favorite. Tatooine is my least favorite first planet (Hith being the best) while I love all three of the endings (though prefer Coruscant and Naboo in that order as my favorite planets in SW).

I do miss the sense of being actually inside the films from the original ride though, since Lucas dusted the original models for that ride. First SW movie filmed since ROTJ after all.

And you're totally right about the audience response. One of my favorite things about the place is hearing people's reactions to the ride. I still remember to this day a visit to the original ride during middle or high school. This Aussie family was sitting next to me, this girl around my age in a floppy hat and her younger relatives. She was talking to them about SW and how special it was (the kids thought it looked old; they were PT kids) and grinning ear to ear (seems to be a common thing!) during the ride.

Still miss the older days of the OT fandom but kids and families are into the new stuff too. I still love seeing them at the ride for the first time, but it's not as magical as before. At least to me, but maybe I'm excessively old-school. :p

Edit: I do live in fear of being called the Rebel spy on that rude, but part of me wants to go on it wearing an Imperial cap and a Groucho Marx face just to get chosen. :p

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  11. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    Catching up with last week's Arrow, which introduced the Suicide Squad. Everyone's raving about the Harley Quinn cameo.. but, for me, the highlight was this:

[​IMG]

12. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    What is the reference?

13. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    John Ostrander

14. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    Ostrander (as in John Ostrander of Legacy and AotE fame) created Suicide Squad. The modern iteration of it, at any rate.

Mia Mesharad likes this.
  15. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Aha, then I get it, gracias

16. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Oh. That's pretty cool. Completely missed that ref.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

17. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    I need to start watching Arrow. I've heard it's fairly family friendly aside from the violence. Is this so?

18. patchworkz7

patchworkz7 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 26, 2004

A lovely showcase for next gen, and one of the first games to really, really feel next gen. There's a side that always says; "Well, they just put more polish on the previous game!" and my answer is that I bought inFamous: Second Son expecting an inFamous game and that's exactly what I got...except better in every way.

The power leveling is slightly changed, for some reason I've seen people complain they replaced the power sets based on morality. This isn't true, it's still there but they're just branches off a singular tree. I'm not totally sure how people could miss that they're still there, but anyways...

If I had a complaint, it's that your powers mean you sometimes end up behind a partition with an object between you and the camera. It really doesn't take much to reset the camera, but it can throw you off to suddenly smoke behind a barricade and be staring at the barricade that you're behind. Mild movement usually resets the camera, but in the middle of a fight it can be weird.

The voice acting and writing are surprisingly good, and the story is solid and a nice continuation. The evil baddie seems a little too EVIL! OTOH, it may come out that she has her reasons.

They nicely establish WHY you're doing what you're doing, and do a good job of setting up the characters.

There's a DLC that is supposed to bridge the game which you get if you pre-ordered, and the devs added something like ten missions as a DLC on release to boost play-time. I've seen play-time estimates at everything from five hours to twenty hours, so YMMV, but my opinion is that everything feels organic, the touchpad of the PS4 controller is put to good use for the first time in any game I've played, and the powers and sense of environment are all nicely established.

It's very much an inFamous game without feeling cookie cutter and gets points for having a Native American protagonist and cast. The Kotaku review slighted an early bit in the game for being a bit on the nose, but (imo) the reference to Rosa Parks was something the character would say and comes across as partly petulant instead of being a ham-fisted attempt at social criticism. So far, the fear the public has over Conduits is justified and the game nicely offers reasons for the character to pick an "evil" path without quite being at the level of "help an Ewok into a furnace" vs "help an Ewok buy a furnished apartment" (Penny Arcade ref +10 Nerd, -20 Char).

ETA: One thing I REALLY, REALLY like is that when you do something like smoke through the vents (you see this in the commercials where the character launches into the airs from a building) is that time slows down. They didn't just do that for the commercial or a pre-rendered bit, that happens every time you do a wild smoke ride, and it gives you time to mentally reset to where you are. Otherwise you'd just shoot up and be totally thrown off as to your location and trying to orientate yourself to targets or the ground.

It's a simple mechanic, but it's one that vastly helps the game flow, as well as making it really feel incredible as a power and allows you to line up shots or attacks without resorting to button mashing and praying.

19. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    They even say the name outloud, later on. :p

20. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Well, I have no idea what he does outside SW! :p

21. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    The_Forgotten_Jedi and Revanfan1 like this.
  22. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    Scarlet Witch looks reminiscent of her appearance in X-Men: Evolution. So they're Hawkeye's buds? In any case I'm looking forward to it.

23. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    See, DOFP haters? Quicksilver looks dumb in every iteration.

24. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    It's going to be interesting to see how Joss & co work it, since thanks to Fox, they can't refer to anything related to the X-Men or Magneto or even call them mutants.

At least he doesn't look like a member of a European boy band. :p

25. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Side note: anything inspired by the XME Wanda is good in my book.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.