main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Apropos of Nothing - ACKBAR IN CAPITALS - The Lit Forum Social Thread, v2.0.15

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Origins was wonderful. It harkened back to the actual games, like you said. I wish it were an actual series. The tone was so much better than the actual show.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

Mia Mesharad likes this.
  2. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004

[face_dunno]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

3. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    That's the one scenario where I'd want Hickman to get a comic series.

Gorefiend likes this.
  4. Mat Skywalker

Mat Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2005
    DigitalMessiah

Don't question me boy on my business again. :p

[​IMG]

Seriously though, ever since Konami split up the original Team Silent(after 4 IIRC) the franchise has floundered in about every aspect of the series. For instance, Homecoming had Pyramid Head but it makes little sense to include him as SH's environment & monsters are unique to every character's perspective in the game. The character's psyche causes the town to manifest their own weaknesses into enemy types. For James Sunderland, Red Pyramid now known as Pyramid head, represents James darkest emotions and a sense of self punishment for his actions. For Homecoming the monster is just used as a bogey man that has little relation to the main character. He's just used as a face for the game(and the movie had just come out around the same time). It's not surprising to me the new team is also screwing up the lore.

5. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
  6. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    In which case you've just put a lock on how good things could ever be and it's all downhill from there, isn't it?

I can get people really loving a story but saying it's the best story ever and is never going to be topped? Ah, you're setting yourself up for a fall there! Either something every bit as good or better comes along and you're unable to appreciate it or after that pinnacle, it's all crud, whichever way it goes:

[​IMG]

MasterSkywalker86 likes this.
  7. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    That's one reason why I'm glad I got to the NJO so late. It let me appreciate the crappiness of LotF on its own merits, like the "new reader" they seem to obsess over in that series. Read without the NJO it certainly isn't as bad, but it's still not at all good.

Also, apropos of nothing:

[​IMG]

First screen of the eponymous Arkham Knight. For the record, he calls Bruce an "old man". Apparently, this is the end of the trilogy for Rocksteady, the last game in the story arc that started with Asylum. Interestingly enough, they apparently disregard the existence of Origins when it comes to their story.

Mia Mesharad and darthscott3457 like this.
  8. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    I've never actually played a game from the Arkham series, but :eek:. Is that Batman wearing a super-armored suit? 'Cause it's karking awesome!

9. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    I feel like I've had words put in my mouth...

10. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Not what was I going for DM! Sure, there was a bit of comedy to the post, but it wasn't with nastiness in mind - quite the opposite!

As to Arkham Knight - ah, so that's the villain? Interesting.

11. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    It's probably best if they shy away from anything Origins related. What an unnecessary game. I wonder if the Arkham Knight is Azrael or whatever. Also if the joker somehow makes an appearance I'm literally done with all things Batman.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  12. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    How the hell would Joker return? He's dead! Corpse seen and everything! Plus, Hamill's busy with SW!

13. Cynical_Ben

Aug 12, 2013
    Yeah, the Joker's been dead for a year IU for AK, and it looks like the Scarecrow is the main villain this time, which is great. Though like Origins, Gotham sounds like it'll be pretty much empty of anyone but cops and criminals, no civilians around to liven things up or give life to the city. Disappointing.

And for the record, I like Origins, mostly for the story. It isn't as good as the other two, certainly, but it certainly isn't a bad game.

Mia Mesharad and darthscott3457 like this.
  14. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
  15. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Ah, there remains the Corpse Rule!

And - No. Hamill!

16. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    Well, saying something is the best doesn't mean it can't be surpassed in the future. :p

17. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    Baker provided the voice in Origins....they could always use him. Also Lazarus pit was introduced in City.

18. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Ah, but then it's no longer the best is it?

19. King of Alsakan

King of Alsakan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 25, 2007
    I think some Joker cameo would be nice, maybe during the end credits with Mark Hammil singing another song to Batman.

Though as mentioned above they can always go with Troy Baker as well. I thought he did a very good job in Origins. Still looking forward to playing the DLC with Mr. Freeze next month.

20. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    I quote Denny O'Neill: "It'd be a really tacky move"

21. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    Origins was a really tacky move. :p

Is Dini on board or no ?

22. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    So are you saying it would be wrong for me to say that The Empire Strikes Back is the best Star Wars film because Episode VII might be better?

23. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Probably best to caveat it - say, best one so far - stranger things have happened!

In the end what I'm playing with is how absolute you consider your assessment of a story to be.

24. Cynical_Ben

Aug 12, 2013
    I want a Batman game without the Joker in it at all, like everyone thought Origins would be before it released. Just to change things up. Joker is a crutch for the creators of the games, it gives them a villain that anyone will love provided the writing is up to par. It's far more interesting and creative of them to switch gears and bring a different character to the fore.

Also, coincidentally, Steam has all of the Batman games on sale right now, even the Lego ones. A lot of Square Enix games are on sale, as well, like Just Cause, Sleeping Dogs, Hitman, and all the Deus Ex games.

25. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    blackmyron likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.