main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Apropos of Nothing - ACKBAR IN CAPITALS - The Lit Forum Social Thread, v2.0.15

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Wait, "Comet"? I don't even understand this franchise anymore.

2. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    Maybe it's the name of the boat or something.

3. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    I'm this close to just tuning out entirely and waiting until it becomes GTA: Europe.

4. Mat Skywalker

Mat Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2005
    So another game where you play as a templar.
    I like the fact that Galak Fyar translated the article :p

5. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    Which really should be a thing, incidentally.

6. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    Amy Acker is awesome. And having her play that role is great. Good TV news for once. It's been a bad week for TV.
    Castle delayed a month before the next episode.
    No more Brooklyn 99
    Community spoilers have the stupidist, most infuriating character moment coming up since Chuck ended with Sarah losing her memory. Even if it is a misdirect, its a disservice to the characters and the fans.
    Well, at least there are some MLPFiM episodes left, and Archer seems to have hit it's groove again.

7. King of Alsakan

King of Alsakan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 25, 2007
    Brooklyn 99 will be missed till next season. I am one who rarely watches comedies or maybe am just very picky about them, but I have really enjoyed it thus far.

8. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    Oh, and How I Met Your Mother is about to end forever. :(

Starkeiller likes this.
  9. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
  10. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Finally

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  11. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    So, on my Netflix ride along, I've worked through most of Batman: Brave and the Bold. Most of it is campy fun, but every once in a while they slip in some serious drama. For instance "Chill of the Night!" would be right at home in B:TAS; it gave me chills (pun intended) to see Bruce confront his parents' killer, and you can tell that his new VA put a lot of work into getting emotion right in the scene. The vocal "cameos" of four past Batman notables were terrific as well. I also noted how the teaser bit involved Zatana, Paul Dini's favorite DC hero; fitting considering that he wrote the episode.

Disappointed that they don't have the entire series on Netflix, though. I know at least two notable episodes, "Birds of Prey!" and the series finale "Mite-fall!" aren't on here. And I really want Netflix to pick up Young Justice now.

12. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    I feel like I need to get more into Batman. I got a bunch of the audio dramas because I love audio dramas, but I really haven't committed myself to them. I listened to a bit of one set in the Nolan universe between Begins and TDK where he fights white supremists which was... interesting (they call him Batjew since he's obviously rich with all his gadgets).

How is the Knightfall story viewed now, decades later? There's an audio drama for that as well.

13. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Yeah. I'm wondering if I can survive not being spoiled on Monday. I might have to go on a fb blackout between 9pm and midnight that day.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

14. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Yeah, I tried that one. It had its funny moments but those kids would say "Dammit, Dad, finish the story already" long before now.

MasterSkywalker86 likes this.
  15. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    Are the kids in their twenties now ?

16. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
  17. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    I watched a slasher movie last night that was so unsuccessful in making me care about the characters that I was rooting for the slasher at the end of it.

18. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Isn't that practically the point of that entire genre though?

19. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    Yeah, but you're supposed to root for the final girl. I felt more sympathy for the killer.

20. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005

That's like the status quo for slasher movies in the last decade. I think Cabin in the Woods was the one where I was rooting for both the "slashers" and the victims.

AdmiralWesJanson likes this.
  21. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    Well, the past two nights, I watched the 2009 remake of Friday the 13th and last night I watched My Bloody Valentine 3D, both movies with the guys from Supernatural, and Friday the 13th didn't make me root for Jared Padalecki to die (some of the other characters, sure), but My Blood Valentine 3D by the end of it really didn't have any characters that I felt bad for except the killer.

22. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    Characterization is pretty bland in those type of films. If they could all be like John Carpenter's The Thing.....

23. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    "I can't help but calculate the death toll and wonder what these people are losing their lives for. My enjoyment?"

[face_rofl]

Damn. Somebody has a serious problem separating the screen from reality.

What. The. ****.

Listen, Genius...nobody actually died.

As far as slasher films, I haven't watched any since the 90s. They're just appallingly bad. Stephen King does the best horror and I've pretty much outgrown him as well.

24. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    I think what offends me most is that the piece is blind to the idea of different modes of viewing!

Thus I am not going to watch Avengers in the same mind-set as The Thin Red Line or say Branagh's epic Hamlet..

MasterSkywalker86 likes this.
  25. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    This guy must have been one of those kids who really was traumatized when Bambi's mother died. @};-

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.