main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Apropos of Nothing - ACKBAR IN CAPITALS - The Lit Forum Social Thread, v2.0.15

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    My first console (I guess) was a Commodore 64. At some point during the Dreamcast era, we did acquire a Virtual Boy.

2. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014

You could totally write a story about that. :D

Ah, Commodore 64s and Apple II's! I remember both well. We had a IIe at my elementary school and used to clamor for a turn to play the various Carmen Sandiego games on it. I remember getting all the way to the end of one of them when a friend of mine deleted me! But she apologized and has remained a very good friend all the same since then, even serving as quasi-maid of honor at my wedding. :)

TrakNar likes this.
  3. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    For me, the game of choice on the school's Apple IIs was Oregon Trail.

4. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    Oregon Trail and Where in the World is Carmen SanDiego were staples, but then Amazon Trail came along and blew them away.

5. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Oh, good old Oregon Trail! Once we ended up getting a (very used) Xerox 8086 with CGA, a 10MB hard drive, and about 512K of memory for home, that was definitely one of the things that went on it. And Where in Time is Carmen Sandiego? And something called Rocky's Boots that involved doing things with AND, OR, and NOT gates (honest to goodness). And King's Quests 3 and 4. And Print Shop, which I used to make everyone's birthday cards for a time.

And of course all these things showed up only in four colors: black, white, magenta, and cyan (except for Print Shop, which was only in B&W).

Ah, those were indeed the days!

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  6. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    [​IMG]

7. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    We got its somewhat less famous northern counterpart.

[​IMG]

Trip likes this.
  8. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
  9. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    In terms of classic FPS, I prefer Wolfenstein 3D. It's also my FPS of choice for modding, even though I haven't modded it in a while since working on the Diehard Wolfers' TC way back when.

10. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    Eh, no height maps in Wolf 3D bothers me.

11. Kylun

Kylun Jedi Master star 2

Sep 26, 2008
    Oh man, Carmen Sandiego and Oregon Trail bring back memories. Not fond ones, though. Broke my leg in fifth grade and spent recess every day playing Trail while everyone was outside. Also, got an NES for my seventh birthday, played the hell outta Super Mario Bros. and Duck Hunt. Had the SNES, N64, and Gamecube. But by then I was already migrating to PC games, mostly the old LucasArts adventure games. Day of the Tentacle, Sam and Max, Indy and the Fate of Atlantis, etc. I still laugh at the realization that came many years later, that that PC had a hard drive that held less data than a single blank CD :p

Few years down the road we got a PC capable of playing online shooters, and I never looked at a console again.

12. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    I'm currently rendering the Abra line as bipedal armadillo goats. Got the skeletal and general proportions of Abra and Kadabra finished, Alakazam is next.

13. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I belonged to the
    [​IMG]

even if I also played Link to the Past and Megaman X on a friends Nintendo

14. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    I played nothing but educational games on the computer (barring going over to friends/relatives) until Christmas '98. I played games like Amazon Trail, Reader Rabbit, Math Blaster and Cluefinders for the most part. I also played the old Need for Speed games, III: Hot Pursuit and High Stakes. Our computers were really crappy growing up, and my parents didn't want my brain to leak out of my ears from intensive playtime anyway. I was already an obsessive reader, they had to bar something to get me out of the house once in a while. Then, at the end of '98, I got an N64 with a baseball game with a title that escapes me and Star Wars Episode I: Podracer. It took me another five years to actually beat that game, "Abyss" was rock-hard. I think I actually gold-medaled all of the missions in Rogue Squadron before I actually finished all the races in Racer.

Since then, I've owned a Gamecube, a Wii, a pair of XBox360s (at varying times), a GBA, a GBA SP, a DS, a DS Lite, a 3DS and a 3DS XL. Right now, all I have is my computer, the 3DS XL, the GBA SP and the same old N64 I got for Christmas way back when. It's never broken down, needed repairs or even been properly cleaned. Thing's built like a tank, and still plays everything beautifully. [face_love]

The first game I ever beat on my own was Lego Island for PC. Fantastic little game. First game I ever actually played was Prince of Persia on my dad's old black and white Mackintosh computer when I was probably two or three. Since it was in black and white, my parents had no idea there was blood everywhere when the prince got cut in half by the chomping gates. :D

15. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    Hmm... early PC games... Doom, Heretic, Hexen, Doom 2, et al. I've been playing FPS for a long time. But I think the most fun I had PC gaming was in HS with Unreal, Unreal Tournament, Q3A, Deus Ex, Half-Life, uh... I dunno.

GrandAdmiralJello

I was bored.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'm so glad there's no arbitrary gate or wall that prevents you from moving forward in the game now.

16. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Here.

[​IMG]

Not perfect, but at least I got a basic side-by-side comparison. Now to finalize Kadabra...

darthcaedus1138, Gamiel and Gorefiend like this.
  17. Goodwood

Goodwood Jedi Master star 5

May 11, 2011
    And I didn't take it as a slagging, my apologies if it came across that way.

GrandAdmiralJello I loved that show—still do, as a matter of fact! It's too bad they didn't continue it, as I think Rebecca and Baloo were a great couple and seeing them get together would have been really awesome. Oh, the feels! :D

EDIT: The first game I ever beat on my own was the Taz the Tasmanian Devil game that SquareSoft put out for the SNES (a company notorious for its difficult games, though Hudson Soft was even worse). Basically it was a racing game in which you had to both dodge obstacles and eat kiwis to beat a time trial, and man did those kiwis get smart as the game progressed! I never actually owned it, but rented it on a few occasions, and after many times only getting to the second or sometimes third set of levels, I raced right through it in a marathon session that took me late into the night and early morning!

It was glorious.

18. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Screwed up the left leg a bit. But, at least Kadabra is more or less finalized, including that little nubby thing at the base of its tail in the official art.

That's right. FULL FRONTAL KADABRA NUDITY

[​IMG]

darthcaedus1138 likes this.
  19. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
  20. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Working on another with even more nudity!

21. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    Shaved Pokémon? That's a new one on me...

22. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Actually, it's Sabrina's Kadabra splayed flat on its back and laughing. Only people who've watched the show will know what I'm talking about.

23. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    Those were some weird episodes for a 10-year-old with no former experience with anime. I was too confused to be traumatized.

TrakNar likes this.
  24. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    As first games are being discussed:

Phantasy Star

[​IMG]

What I only just found out is that in terms of western games, PS was ahead of the likes of Final Fantasy! PS came out 1988, FF was 1990. It also had these nuts 3D dungeons that were murder to navigate later on, as they also had pit traps - the Tower of Baya Malay was quite a final obstacle. Sure there were dungeons after that, but that was the toughest.

Power Strike

[​IMG]

This frantic, kill everything shooter had an evil invention - variable difficulty level! If you were on a roll, then the amount of crap the game threw at you went through the roof! And then you get killed and, if you survive long enough, it reduces somewhat. Rarely made it to level 5, once or twice to level 6, bastard defied completion.

Onto 16-bit:

Streets of Rage 2

[​IMG]

Take the influence of Street Fighter 2 and create a scrolling beat 'em up and you get this sublime classic.

Couple of final Megadrive games that really showed off the system were:

Ranger X

[​IMG]

A brilliantly tactical scroller with the biggest explosions seen at that point.

Gunstar Heroes

[​IMG]

This was insanely brilliantly - a weapon combination system, 2 players and a ton of creative enemies - it was a testimony to the tendency of a system's final games being its best.

Arawn_Fenn likes this.
  25. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    A couple Kadabra and an Abra.

[​IMG]

darthcaedus1138 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.