main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Apropos of Nothing - ACKBAR IN CAPITALS - The Lit Forum Social Thread, v2.0.15

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    [​IMG]
    The shipping has already begun!
    From here:
    http://alexkolesar.tumblr.com/post/85032349400/why-you-should-be-excited-for-star-wars-rebels

Which also gives us this analysis of Star Wars TV:
    If ever I have seen an opinion more opposite of the one here...I don't really know how to finish that. But it is really interesting, isn't it?

2. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    As Laika's been mentioned, all of you can go and buy and read this:

[​IMG]

And then bawl your eyes out! Because it wrecks everyone who reads it. It's quite brilliant.

3. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Merc -- oh, I've found Ahsoka is thoroughly liked by folks who aren't us. She's hugely popular, and not just among insipid tweens who wouldn't know good taste if it was hurtling down from the heavens on a silicon-iron astral fragment.

I still can't understand if they all watched the same show, but whatever. I'm not terribly exercised that a bunch of fans are wrong. I mean, most fans think that the end of ROTJ is supposed to be happy! Patently absurd.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

4. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    Yeah regicide is a terrible crime.

5. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    GrandAdmiralJello : Oh no, my gelatinous friend, I am afraid that is you who is mistaken. About a great. Many. Things.

Regicide is a virtue actually.

6. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Hay guys I finally found a version I didn't like!

Well here's the thing about that arc--by the above standard, it was good. I rooted for Ahsoka and felt her betrayal when she decided to leave the Order. The problem was every single stupid decision by every other character in order to get her to that point. I felt for Ahsoka in that arc because she was the only person acting remotely rationally. It was the Truman Show of Star Wars stories.

Cynical_Ben and Revanfan1 like this.
  7. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Well, I already did that. Demi Lovato's version. I'm sorry, I just don't like it. Did it fit with the credits? Yes, perfectly. But outside of the credits, as a standalone song, I cannot stand it, personally. Elsa's, though? I'll sing along every time. :p

Funny, because I've also heard it said that Ahsoka was acting totally ridiculous in the whole thing and everyone else was acting rationally. Me, I take a middle ground. Ahsoka did some stupid stuff, but so did the others. They all made mistakes, and Palpatine and Tarkin just benefited.

8. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Not only is he astonishing, Cosmo's HeroClix figure is an excellent support character and has a good-looking model :D

9. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    MercenaryAce : The only time I ever gave a **** about Ahsoka's fate was when it seemed she might add to Anakin's character development.

That ended early in season 3 or even late season 2, when she started getting showcased on her own, and by that final arc of season 5, she could have taken her whiny self-centered ass on a tumble down the Temple stairs and twenty stories further and I probably would have laughed.

CooperTFN : I never gave much thought to which character was acting more ridiculous, but it was a poorly planned arc in the context of the overall story, and the only planning that did go into the arc involved setting up every character to behave in a way that would make Ahsoka look sympathetic.

Revanfan1 and Barriss_Coffee like this.
  10. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Yeah, basically. [face_dunno]

11. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    It was the shroud of the dark side or something

12. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    "The shroud of the Dark Side" is becoming the best PT-era punchline since "It's all Obi-Wan's fault."

13. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Gorefiend, Ulicus and TrakNar like this.
  14. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Waiting for the Disneyfied version of Breaking Bad myself.

15. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I am thinking more along the line of Fox Animation Studios

16. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003

So........... like a Family Guy spinoff? The Cleveland Lannister Show?

Y'know......................... I'm gonna ask.:p

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  17. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005

[​IMG]

JUSTICE.

CooperTFN likes this.
  18. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Any version of Let It Go that's not Idina Menzel is terrible. That said, I did still like the past ones we've talked about (google translate, African tribal, etc)

Please. I'm re-reading HttE right now, and it's prettying a perfect indictment of why Endor was a tragedy. It's kind of hilarious how easy it is to construct a narrative showing how terrible and petty the Rebels are.

And mercs wouldn't know virtue if it hit them in the face. You only care about getting paid.

Kinda like your mom. But I guess that explains where you came from. :)

(PS I bought a fan in imperial yellow with a bunch of emperors and their seals on them. I also got a tea set in the same shade with the imperial dragon all over it. Obviously nobody cares bc this is all tourist stuff but in my own mind, I'm making a statement. Or something.)

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  19. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Any version of Let It Go that's not Idina Menzel is terrible. That said, I did still like the past ones we've talked about (google translate, African tribal, etc)

Please. I'm re-reading HttE right now, and it's prettying a perfect indictment of why Endor was a tragedy. It's kind of hilarious how easy it is to construct a narrative showing how terrible and petty the Rebels are.

And mercs wouldn't know virtue if it hit them in the face. You only care about getting paid.

Kinda like your mom. But I guess that explains where you came from. :)

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

20. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    What about dubs? Try the Finnish vetsion "Taakse jää". For some reason even though we are a republic we have many very royal-sounding actors. Elsa's is one of them but I don't know how it shows in a song. The First Time reprise is her best work.

I have often heard that Finnish is a beautiful language to sing but hard because "These long words how do they rhyme?" Wonder how it is in Latin?

Revanfan1 likes this.
  21. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I have hard that Grant Morrison gave Emma Frost her "secondary mutation" of turning into diamond because he could not use Colossus. Do anybody know if this is true or false?

I think it is more because it belongs to a different language family than most other European languages, also I fully agree on the beautiful language part

22. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Somebody tried to do it in Latin but they were like a second year student and their grasp of grammar and idiom was atrocious.

As for the Finnish version, I'll have to wait until I can access youtube. First Time reprise is my favorite song, though.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

23. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Family Guy is made by Fuzzy Door Productions and Fox Television Animation; Fox Animation Studios is the company that made Anastasia, Bartok the Magnificent and Titan A.E.

24. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    And Scaroth in City of Death!

25. Praenomen Cognomen

Praenomen Cognomen Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2013

And Kristatos in For Your Eyes Only!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.