main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Apropos of Nothing - ACKBAR IN CAPITALS - The Lit Forum Social Thread, v2.0.15

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Goodwood

Goodwood Jedi Master star 5

May 11, 2011
    More like court jester.

Or whoever wrangles the general entertainment both of the court and the populace.

Barriss_Coffee and Findswoman like this.
  2. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
  3. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    *sneezes into the thread*

Oh, sorry, Ultron. Let me wipe that off...

Speaking of comics, I just went through my Comic Book Design book (catalogued by the Department of Redundancy Department) and printed a section on character design. I'm going to cobble together some sort of lesson plan and teach a class. Sort of. I'll be teaching one person unless I announce class times and have signups.

My teaching experience is very, very limited, so this is sort of an experiment to see if i can do it at all. If I can, I may consider continuing my education and become a teacher.

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  4. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Whom are you teaching the class to? Is this with some sort of art school or community organization or some such, or just on your own?

5. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    My neighborhood has an after-school/summer study program, but so far attendance for it has been limited to one or two people. When it was started, no one really knew what to do with it, so I offered up my services as an art instructor. Nothing was set in stone, so I've been working on putting together a lesson plan and figuring out exactly what I want to teach.

I know comic books, so I'm going to teach comic book design.

6. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    A federal judge (appointed by Dubya) just ruled the death penalty in the state of CA to be unconstitutional. Huh.

7. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    I love the big fluffy white guy. LOVE HIM. This probably won't be as amazing as Frozen but I am very much looking forward to it.

8. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    That happens sometimes. The first three judges to strike down gay marriage bans were all appointed by Republicans (Bush Sr. and Nixon) I believe. That a judge appointed by Bush jr. did so is a bit more unexpected though. And especially given that it's the death penalty -- judges are defensive of civil rights but tend not to strike at the death penalty ever. So "huh" might be right.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

9. King of Alsakan

King of Alsakan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 25, 2007
  10. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Heh, Hulk's pants.

And I wrote up a lesson plan and it's really damn scatterbrained. I'll get dinner, put on some noise, look it over, and see if I can tighten it up. What I copied from my book was most of the Character Creation chapter, so I'm going with that for the first lesson. Dug out my Writing for Comics with Peter David book for further information, and I'm going to discuss the role of a character in the story, why a villain should be one of the first characters created for a story, the usage of fan characters and established characters versus an entirely original set of characters and background, and basic character design.

Character visual design will then allow me to segue into drawing the head and figure.

11. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    TrakNar, are you familiar with the works of Scott McCloud? He has a few really great books on developing comics. His first book especially, Understanding Comics, is a must-read for anyone who wants a deep perspective into just what makes a comic a comic.

12. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Yep, I'm familiar with him, though I don't own any of his books, as I focus more on the art side of comics. Art and writing.

13. Praenomen Cognomen

Praenomen Cognomen Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2013
    Aw damn, I thought you guys were talking about Scott McCloud, the main dude from GVSB.

Possibly recognizable by their single from the Clerks soundtrack... 90's sleaze-rock at its finest.

14. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
  15. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    Guys. GUYS. MST3K is ON NETFLIX. HOW DID I NOT KNOW THIS.

16. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Did you know that Joel has recently hinted about bringing back MST3K?

Also, Rifftrax's SHARKNADO was unbelieveably awesome.

17. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Didn't see the Sharknado one. Of the ones I've seen, though, their Starship Troopers riff was the stuff of legends. :D

18. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    I had never seen Starship Troopers in its entirety before Rifftrax. It was indeed epic.

I mean, Mazzy Star during a future sci-fi bar fight scene? What was your deal, movie?

Birdemic, though... wow.

19. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
  20. Goodwood

Goodwood Jedi Master star 5

May 11, 2011
    That film was just so unbelievably bad.

I mean, here's an honest-to-goodness all-Western excuse for CGI Gundams, and they go for bad WWII-era infantry tactics without the least hint of combined-arms warfare?! I mean seriously, the march up the pass on "Planet P" had "Kasserine" written all over it.

21. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    That's the point, it's a satire about rabid militarism and fascism. There's a reason everyone is dressed like Nazis.

I don't think it's high art or anything, but I dig it.

Gamiel, Darth_Garak, TrakNar and 2 others like this.
  22. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    it's verhoeven

23. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    I look up Starship Troopers on Wiki, and there's a great quote from Verhoeven in the third paragraph.

"Let's all go to war and let's all die."

24. Praenomen Cognomen

Praenomen Cognomen Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2013
  25. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    For the record, it spawned a great—albeit short-lived—animated series in Roughnecks. Hunt it down and give it a watch if you haven't already. The animation aged about as well as War Planets and Beast Wars, but it's still enjoyable.

Darth_Garak likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.