main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Apropos of Nothing - ACKBAR IN CAPITALS - The Lit Forum Social Thread, v2.0.15

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Yeah as I understand it, officers still have to do all the crap that managers do in the private sector. They just have all their service-related obligations on top of that :p

As for Elsa, all I need from her right now is to ensure this weekend's snow forecast stays on track. We got barely grazed by Juno's coattails last weekend, and all we've gotten were brief clippers this entire winter. I demand snow dammit!

2. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    There had better be some frosted white flakes (NOT from Kellogg's) falling from the sky onto my patio within the next month or I will curse spring.

3. King of Alsakan

King of Alsakan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 25, 2007
    It can can be very taxing at times, though I must admit that I sure miss it especially the people you get to serve with

4. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    Thanks, I turn 24 later this year so now I know how I'll be feeling.

5. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    When Luke was my age he was hanging out in a near-empty apartment wandering around trying to learn about history and figure out what to do with his life.

I feel pretty okay about this.

6. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Vos nequeo tango haec

Anyway, sometimes I feel sad because Alexander the Great already conquered many countries by the time he was my age. But then I remembered that there many people who never did anythign with their lives at all. Admittedly, they aren't in the history books for obvious reasons, but they existed.

Plus, I like to live by my favorite Bilbo quote: "It is no bad thing to celebrate a simple life."

7. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    People younger than me are competing for national and global titles at 23. Not cool.
    When did Bilbo say that MA?
    That's what I do. Day on the computer, or reading a book and I'm set.

8. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    Alexander the Great also died in the ripe age of 32. I can do without Persia and Asia if that makes me live longer.

9. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005

Well said.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  10. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Okay, Caesar. :p

Valin__Kenobi likes this.
  11. Lugija

Oct 3, 2009
    He should have had dragons. It wouldn't have changed history because being magical creatures they wouldn't have survived for long but there would be cooler pictures in history books.

And speaking of conquering lands with dragons (you knew this was coming), here's the commentary for the sixth episode of the fourth season of GOT. Spoiler: not enough objections.

MercenaryAce and Gorefiend like this.
  12. Random Comments

Random Comments Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 25, 2012
    All right, we'll send you the knock-off cereal brand. :p

Also, why does nobody ever curse a land to an eternal spring?
    Winter, sure. Summer, by virtue of its existence, already feels like that. But why not spring?

When Luke was my age, he was whiny and looking for the best excuses to head to Tosche Station.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  13. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    Darth_Garak, Zeta1127 and Gorefiend like this.
  14. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Luke was my age in 24 ABY and I have no idea what the hell he was doing.

Vader threw Palpatine down the reactor at my age. May I accomplish so much.

15. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Educating Jacen, Jaina, and various other Jedi trainees, right before the Vong invasion, I think.

16. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004

@But if he wins how does that help the Iron Bank get back the money the crown owns them?
    Because Stannis is a man of his word and the only Would be King who can actually hold the Realm together long enough to pay back what is owned.

Why couldn’t Olenna get the seat?

Doubt they allow woman on the council other than the actual queen.

17. Lugija

Oct 3, 2009
    Hold the realm together? Have they been being attention? It's like herding cats. But Stannis has the best chances of the bunch, I agree.

That's their loss. I think if Olenna had wanted to it wouldn't be a case of anyone "allowing" her. But she would have got bored.

Gorefiend likes this.
  18. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Cool. All we need is a Vong invasion in the southeastern US and we'll lead similar lives.

19. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    No we don't need that I live in the southeastern US too I don't want to be invaded by Vong.

Valin__Kenobi and Iron_lord like this.
  20. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    They do, according to World of Ice and Fire.

Lugija likes this.
  21. Random Comments

Random Comments Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 25, 2012
    Frankly, I think it'd be an improvement.

Todd the Jedi , Revanfan1 and Vthuil like this.
  22. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    It would be in some areas.

23. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    There is great joy in watching my girlfriend play Grim Fandango for the first time, through the Remastered Edition. She notoriously mocks the voice acting in most video games I play, as she's an actress, but she fell in love with Manny and the other members of the cast immediately. What was it about Lucasarts that they always had great voice casting?

(Although I really try not to think about how I originally played it almost two decades ago.)

24. Praenomen Cognomen

Praenomen Cognomen Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2013

It's just so good. No matter how many times I forget to grab the necktie out of the whatever ******* thing and whatever, it's still great, and that's sort of the mark of a great point 'n click game: It's good enough that you don't get bored wandering through the same screen twenty times not remembering what to do.

25. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Someone once wrote that they wouldn't mind spending a literal year exploring Rubacava, and I can certainly agree with the sentiment.

So that's Grim Fandango and the first two Monkey Island games down. Full Throttle maybe? (Plus, there's that "spiritual successor" to Maniac Mansion and Zak McCracken that's coming out).

26. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.