main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Apropos of Nothing - ACKBAR IN CAPITALS - The Lit Forum Social Thread, v2.0.15

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    thank god

I have. I don't have the newer version though. But I don't think that matters on PC.

2. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Doooooo itttttt.

3. whiskers

whiskers Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2005
    Do It!!!

4. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
  5. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    RIP Mr Nimoy. Starfleet won't be the same without you.

6. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
  7. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    What... the... kriff... did I just watch... [face_hypnotized]

Cracian_Thumper and CooperTFN like this.
  8. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    May your memory live long and prosper for generations to come.

I'm so watching the Wrath of Kahn tonight. The final scene with the torpedo casket and Scotty on the bag pipes will probably bring a tear to my eye... :(

--Adm. Nick

9. King of Alsakan

King of Alsakan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 25, 2007
    RIP Mr. Spock, he certainly did live long and prospered. He will be missed.

It would have been interesting to possibly see him and Shatner on screen again for the next movie, if they ever were going to get things worked out.

10. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    How odd that I was thinking of watching TWoK just yesterday...

Sad news, and unexpected.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

Zorrixor and Cracian_Thumper like this.
  11. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    I just saw the news on another site. Sad, and not the sort of thing I wanted to wake up to.

...And I'm gonna be honest, neither was "The Ballad of Bilbo Baggins".

12. Cynical_Ben

Aug 12, 2013
    I just watched TWoK again a few weeks ago. Fantastic movie and about as good a send-off as any character in recurring media has ever gotten. Very fitting for today.

13. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Sad to see this news. RIP, Leonard Nimoy.

14. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    It was a bit of a shock to hear about it a few minutes ago in this thread - I promptly went to the BBC site to look it up.

15. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    As final words go - or rather, a Tweet, Leonard Nimoy's was quite something:

https://twitter.com/TheRealNimoy/status/569762773204217857

16. Random Comments

Random Comments Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 25, 2012
    Wait...there are people who've never seen this before? We must find them all!

Zorrixor likes this.
  17. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006

I'm impressed you only get a -10 opinion modifier for literally eating your own vassal.

18. Darth_Duck

Darth_Duck Chosen One star 5

Oct 13, 2000
    Of all the souls I have encountered in my travels, his was the most... human.
    :(

19. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    It's only a minor breach of the feudal contract. If only Joffrey knew, he could've avoided the war.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

MercenaryAce likes this.
  20. Thuro

Thuro Jedi Master star 4

Nov 7, 2013
    Found this on youtube a little while ago. Thought it was pretty impressive.

Revanfan1 and Barriss_Coffee like this.
  21. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    THE SEED IS STRONG.

[​IMG]

22. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    [face_laugh]

Love the black licorice thing. That stuff is so gross.

23. Cynical_Ben

Aug 12, 2013
    Watching some of Superman: The Animated Series. It's interesting how much of the introductory episode on Krypton actually lines up with Man of Steel, including Jor-L being a gun-wielding action hero, going up against Braniac's machinations instead of General Zod. The underlying current of their society becoming stale and old is there, as well, as STAS shows their ruling council depending on Braniac to basically run the world for them. The main difference is the aesthetic; STAS's Krypton is more retro-futuristic, very pulp '50s sci-fi, MoS's Krypton is more an amalgamation of modern fantasy and sci-fi settings.

The show and movie's portrayal of Superman's character, his morals and his ideals, is almost identical as well, except that STAS Superman doesn't have to fight a fellow Kryptonian his first time out and actively tries to avoid destruction if he can help it. The route that they take to get to being Superman is different, since MoS couldn't keep Kevin Costner alive but STAS has Johnathan Kent alive and well; STAS Superman takes up the cape because he wants to help people, MoS takes up the cape because if he doesn't, the world will end.

I don't really have a point to make, just observing. A lot of the flack that MoS gets is that it isn't the Christopher Reeve Superman movie, ignoring the fact that the character has changed a lot since the '70s and when you try to copy that version of Superman, you get Superman Returns. STAS is a sort of bridge between the two, an idealistic hero and universe that still has undertones and currents of drama and angst. MoS isn't a particularly good film, but at least it was trying something new, to forge its own version of the mythology that would fit into a more realistic, cynical world. My problems with the movie are much more in its scatterbrained tone, flat characterizations and "brown is realistic" visual style than anything.

Also, Toyman is one creepy mother-hubbard.

[​IMG]

Gamiel likes this.
  24. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    Cynical_Ben, I haven't seen MOS, but from what I have seen, I would say that it's too grim. In fact, I'd say DC's movies are too grim all around. Marvel isn't afraid to have fun; DC needs to take everything seriously. Even Arrow has become too serious for itself since Flash came around; Seasons 1 and 2 weren't what I'd call happy-go-lucky but there were light-hearted moments and good humor to balance out the grimness. From what I've heard of S3, it's even more grim than the previous seasons, as if all the light-hearted writing has transferred to Flash.

Also, I only ever remember seeing the last half of Superman Returns, and even that's extremely vague; I think it must've been at least six or seven years ago when I saw it. So I basically remember nothing about it. Can you give me a rundown on why everybody hates it so much?

Abadacus and ifleninwasawizard like this.
  25. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    That's a pretty frickin' huge difference, though. Of all superheroes Superman should not be one of the ones who's forced to take up the mantle just because of circumstances - he's a hero because that's just who he is. I'm not a particular fan of the Christopher Reeve Superman movies (his personal take is justly iconic, but the movies in general have a lot of problems), and I do respect the Man of Steel creatives for having a reasonably consistent vision, but whoever they were writing about just wasn't Superman.

Cynical_Ben and Random Comments like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.