main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Apropos of Nothing - ACKBAR IN CAPITALS - The Lit Forum Social Thread, v2.0.15

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    That wasn't Kevin Spacey in SR, but I understand your confusion--they really found a hell of a lookalike.

2. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Are we doing Jello-style joking here?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superman_Returns

Jedi Knight Fett and CooperTFN like this.
  3. ifleninwasawizard

ifleninwasawizard Jedi Master star 4

Jun 2, 2014
    MoS had some of the most painfully obvious product placement I've ever seen. I wonder how much Nikon had to pay for that shot where their camera is essentially the only thing on the screen.

Otherwise I thought MoS at least an interesting effort at a good super hero movie.

4. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    how could it?

btw has anyone read that new trilogy of Alien novels? Tim Lebbon wrote the first one, which really sounds like the only one worth a damn since I think the other two connect to Alien Resurrection. lol

5. cthugha

cthugha Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 24, 2010
    The only non-boring Superman story I've ever seen was this one.

6. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    When I bought my ticket for Man of Steel, someone working in the theater described it as "like a roller coaster ride for an hour and a half."

It was kind of true that I felt like I was on one of those simulator amusement park ride where the dips and turns play out on a screen and the seats move. But it was Superman and Zod beating the **** out of each other and tearing down buildings.

I like Amy Adams much better than Margot Kidder though. *ducks from projectiled objects*

7. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    Amy Adams was perfect casting, her script just sucked. As did Lawrence Fishburn's, and Michael Shannon's, and pretty much everyone else in the movie who wasn't one of Clark's parents or Clark himself.

8. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    How many Superman stories have you read?

Vthuil likes this.
  9. cthugha

cthugha Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 24, 2010
    Bingo! That one. :p

Gamiel likes this.
  10. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
  11. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    I despise Man of Steel with a passion, I love Superman...but not that film. The best compliment I can give Superman Returns is that at least it was better than MOS.

12. King of Alsakan

King of Alsakan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 25, 2007
    I know I am in the minority, but I like the DC superheros more for there less relatable and more heroic characteristics, for lack of a better term. I would never have thought that one day Marvel would have superhero movies where there is a good balance between being serious and fun, while DC looks to be going down the route of having a darker and more serious tone.

I really wish Warner Brothers would change their minds and maybe let some of the founding Justice League members like Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, GL, etc.. show up on that new CW superhero team up show. I think rotating characters and stories would be very cool to see. So many great comic stories can be told in that format, and I would very much like an alternative to the Zack Snyder darker "I really could use a Snickers Bar" Justice League. Looks like Superman might cameo in the new Supergirl show at least, or at a minimum gets mentioned. I think it would be nice if some of these characters are not limited to a few hours of live action appearances per decade.

13. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    I'm not sure I'd agree. MOS wasn't really a Superman film, but at least it was a film in the sense of having a fairly coherent vision. Superman Returns was just an incompetent homage to more famous works.

AdmiralWesJanson likes this.
  14. TrandoJedi

May 4, 2011
    At least I felt like Superman was in Superman Returns. :p

15. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    I'd not sure I'd call Super-Deadbeat Dad a much more accurate depiction of the character. At least with MOS, I could believe that the movie was (or at least could be used as) setup for him to develop into a more in-character Superman, like someone said earlier.

Kylun, AdmiralWesJanson and CooperTFN like this.
  16. TrandoJedi

May 4, 2011
    Touche. Hopefully the future is better for the DCCU version of the character.

Vthuil likes this.
  17. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    They ought to let the people who wrote for the DCAU write for the live action movies.

Just upgraded from an old flip-phone to a Galaxy S4. First I have to get used to using it for calling and texting, then I will start learning the smart features. Having a rather good digital camera at my disposal now is a major plus though.

King of Alsakan, Revanfan1 and Vthuil like this.
  18. Cynical_Ben

Aug 12, 2013
    Well, Paul Dini is kinda busy, writing stuff like this,
    [​IMG]
    and this,
    [​IMG]

So [face_plain] Maybe they can get Alan Burnett.

Jedi Ben and Revanfan1 like this.
  19. Praenomen Cognomen

Praenomen Cognomen Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2013
    So has anybody discovered the predictive text suggestion bar above the keyboard in iOS 8? If you type strictly with those words, it yields some absurdist gold. My wife and I just text each other all day with things like, "I love you so much fun and I have to be a good day to have a good time to get a new one," or my recent favorite (attained purely by pressing the third option over and over), "I'm just like a baby I have no clue."

cthugha likes this.
  20. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    A lot of recent song lyrics suddenly make sense...

cthugha, Revanfan1, Zorrixor and 2 others like this.
  21. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    EU 4s El Darado Update is pretty macabre at times, my Conquistador just figured out that he “long pig meat” he was offered by locals was human flesh. On the upside my first treasure fleet just made it back to the homeland and saved my economy.

Point Given and Abadacus like this.
  22. Cynical_Ben

Aug 12, 2013
    Back on the STAS kick, turns out that Superman kills General Jax-Ur (this universe's version of General Zod) as well, along with his chief henchwoman Mala. He doesn't break their necks, though; wanting to avoid the damage a straight-out conflict between the three of them would cause to the alien planet they've taken over ("It would be worse than all of your wars put together") Superman tries to suss out their intentions instead, gets beat up and taken to the edge of a black hole for a summary execution. One of the planet's rebel faction sends the entire ship on a collision course for the event-horizon. Jettisoning the ship's skeleton crew in an escape pod, Supes then fights a delaying action and prevents Jax-Ur or Mala from escaping, totaling their escape craft and stealing an oxygen tank before letting them both fall into the black hole, complete with on-screen spaghettification. It wasn't so much deliberate killing as it was a "I'm not going to save you" moment, but for someone who's gone out of his way even to rescue the mooks in tanks that're about to explode in previous episodes, it's a notable exception. He knows that Jax-Ur and Mala are just too powerful and evil to be reformed or to be contained even by the phantom zone. Only Darkseid himself matches that criteria otherwise.

Revanfan1 and Mia Mesharad like this.
  23. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Mine tends to insist on saying "thanks, good bye" as a predicted response to just about every text I get.

I guess my phone thinks I need to be antisocial.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

Valin__Kenobi likes this.
  24. King of Alsakan

King of Alsakan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 25, 2007
    Didn't know that. How are those shows? The Hulk did not really interest me, and I have no good reason why I did not start watching the Spider-Man one.

I watch Avengers Assemble, but in my opinion it is no where near as good as Earth's Mightiest Heroes. Though I understand they probably wanted something that looked more like the movies.

25. Cynical_Ben

Aug 12, 2013
    Neither are good. They're both at or below the level of Avengers Assemble with only occasional moments above mediocrity. USM gets a lot of hate for replacing Spectacular Spider-Man and being nowhere near as mature or intelligent, not all of which is deserved but it certainly isn't anywhere near a good show (they somehow managed to mess up Deadpool's characterization, ask The2ndQuest about it). The Hulk show is really meh on every count, one-dimensional characters, bad humor, the list goes on. They're both basically really generic shows meant entirely for kids.

Revanfan1 and King of Alsakan like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.