main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Apropos of Nothing - ACKBAR IN CAPITALS - The Lit Forum Social Thread, v2.0.15

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    I'm still in the long process of downloading it. Dammit, internet.

2. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I'm not very far into it. Spent ages on character creation because I wanted to look up the lore on everybody before I made my decisions.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

3. King of Alsakan

King of Alsakan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 25, 2007
  4. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Don't let Blomkamp make a Star Wars movie?

Did it in eight.

Gamiel, Revanfan1, Kylun and 5 others like this.
  5. King of Alsakan

King of Alsakan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 25, 2007
    Been talked about before, and you never know with this source if its 100% true ;), but there could soon be a new Star Trek show.

6. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Aww, man! I smiled for a moment there before I saw where the link was from.

Edit: Though I do appreciate the "Star Trek should be on TV" stuff in there.

7. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    YOU MUST GATHER YOUR KNOWLEDGE BEFORE VENTURING FORTH.

It's just beautiful. I was worried that my machine would have trouble with it; it had been a bit tempermental with the backer beta... but everything is smooth as silk, now.

I basically grew up on the Infinity Engine stuff (it's what made me a BioWare & Black Isle fanboy and thus, in a way, led me to EU fandom via the KotORs) and this is, so far, the greatest love letter to it ever.

And I'm so, so pleased that it's getting such universal acclaim.

Gorefiend, Revanfan1, Kylun and 2 others like this.
  8. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Star Trek TV show? It'll never work.

9. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I've never been able to play these games because I'm allergic to isometric games but the 3D character models really make it much easier for me to handle. It's old school, plus new.

You'd think I'd have played the older ones because I love all the stat-based dialogue options.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

Gorefiend likes this.
  10. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Jello, I once thought the way you do.

Then I played Baldur's Gate 2.

Never regretted it for a second. Replayed it recently when it was re-released on Steam. If anything, I feel the art style has stopped it from aging, as it's a bit like a classic Disney animation, which can still be appreciated as genuinely good art- think a film like Beauty and the Beast or Lion King- whereas first generation CGI movies are already starting to look rather naff when I try and go back and rewatch them. Yeah, Toy Story 1 has aged fine, but a lot of them make my eyes bleed today.

I feel the same of the Infinity Engine. It feels just as fresh as it did back when I first played it over a decade ago. Kinda like how I can happily play the original Sonic or Mario games and still appreciate them for what they were, but find it a lot harder to play some of the PS1 games when 3D engines were still in their infancy.

Gorefiend, Abadacus and Kylun like this.
  11. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    That wasn't really a thing in the BG series, honestly (nor was using the dialog windows to describe character actions in addition to speech). It was more Black Isle's (now basically Obsidian) bag.

With Planescape: Torment being the most prominant example.

Though once you plugged in the MOUNTAIN of story-and-RPG focused mods that were developed over the years, BG became truly spectacular.

My sentiment exactly. I find the games completely timeless.

Though the fact I do a full playthrough of at least one of them every year has probably contributed to that. :p

Gorefiend, Kylun and Zorrixor like this.
  12. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    I have the BG1 remake but I couldn't get into it because I changed my armor and all it did was change my color.

What's the point of an RPG if you can't play dress up?!?

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

Edit: I've not played Planescape at all, but I hear about it all the time.

13. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    Planescape: Torment is a game in which you can argue certain individuals out of existence with a high enough wisdom score.

But don't listen to me.

Zorrixor, Gorefiend, Kylun and 2 others like this.
  14. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    What that's amazing.

I love pure dialogue-driven solutions. I've been enjoying the hell out of the lore skill in PE.

I bet you can guess what kind of character I made. :p

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

Gorefiend likes this.
  15. Darth_Garak

Darth_Garak Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2005
    I'm with Ulicus.Planescape Torment is pure genius. The only downside is the clunky combat but that can be avoided 90% of the time anyway. Wis, Int and Cha are the most important stats.The game is pure genius. Edit: Play it in this lifetime.

Darth_Dreadwar, Gorefiend and Kylun like this.
  16. Praenomen Cognomen

Praenomen Cognomen Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2013
    The Federation rumor has been kicked around for a long time though. I'm pretty sure the treatment was written immediately after Enterprise ended, so it's almost certainly a thing that exists... it's just a matter of whether it's gonna happen or not.

And of course, eventually, it will. Pre-reboot Trek's had enough pop-culture staying power that it's an inevitability.

I think it's a perfect time for it; make it a distant enough future that it doesn't need to specify which timeline it exists in (perhaps hinting at a timeline-reunification-event in the past), make it a sort of meta-examination of the quaint ideals of the old shows, the struggle to keep them alive, etc. Still old-fashioned Trek, but self-aware. I think it's the right move.

King of Alsakan likes this.
  17. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    Seeing the train wreck the movies are, not a surprise.

Abadacus likes this.
  18. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    So I finished Ulysses the other night.

Just FYI and FWIW.

Barriss_Coffee and cthugha like this.
  19. Darth_Duck

Darth_Duck Chosen One star 5

Oct 13, 2000
    I've tried three times now to read that damned novel. I liked Portrait, but I can't get into Ulysses.

Barriss_Coffee and Findswoman like this.
  20. cthugha

cthugha Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 24, 2010
    Yes.

Findswoman likes this.
  21. Praenomen Cognomen

Praenomen Cognomen Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2013
  22. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    NAILED IT! ^:)^

(I was expecting that to be from ClickHole. But, no, actual Buzzfeed. Yeeepppp...)

Praenomen Cognomen likes this.
  23. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
  24. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
  25. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    The Church of Toydaria welcomes all.

Thread Status: