main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Apropos of Nothing - ACKBAR IN CAPITALS - The Lit Forum Social Thread, v2.0.15

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    The Legion are perfect for a Fallout game, the whole idea is so insane and out there and yet still makes sense for the world they are in that it is perfect for Fallout, just like the enemies in Fury Road seem like an utterly insane concept on paper, but make perfect sense in the world where they are.

Praenomen Cognomen likes this.
  2. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011

I'd remark that these additions are entirely superficial and add nothing of significance to the game, at least imo. I don't really give a **** about armor and weapons or even crafting, it's not what I play the game for. I never crafted any bullets. And you know what? I'm not sure it was an improvement on crafting. I can't make a railway rifle or a deathclaw gauntlet or a Rock It launcher in New Vegas, I can hardly make anything unique, just ammo and other things I don't really need.

They did the same thing in KOTOR2, added a bunch of broken lightsaber styles, superfluous Force powers and feats and more workbench crafting. It didn't add anything for me then, either.

I also liked the companions in Fallout 3 much better, they just weren't expanded on, didn't have their own personal quests, but they were still more amusing to me.

Not just little unique material, little material of any kind. If you side with the Legion, there's relatively little to do for them. Especially when compared with the NCR. There's a certain point, pretty early in the game, where you're pretty much done with the Legion, at least for a while, until you get to the build up to the battle for the Hoover Dam that ends the game. What little there is to do for them, is all pretty much confined to the SE corner of the map, along the river.

Yeah, I know why it's confined to areas near the river, the Legion are on the other side of it. What they should have done is use the river to cut the map in half, so the Legion can have their own side with stuff to do, and the NCR can have theirs.

I don't mind the Legion being extremely awful people one bit. I do mind the lack of things to do with them.

I think it's the complete opposite. Fallout 3 had so many little details that made everywhere you went fun and amusing. It was full of places like Andale and Arefu.

NV seemed so empty and lifeless to me, with little going for it outside the main road and main quest, outside NCR vs Legion. I remember being very annoyed by the endless number of boarded up houses with nothing around them worth checking out. I felt that NV punished exploration, while Fallout 3 rewarded it with whimsy. Exploration was my favorite part of Fallout 3. I stopped exploring NV after my first playthrough, and just stuck to the main areas after that. On my first playthrough of NV, I kept wandering from the beaten track, looking for fun, but found none more often than not.

I think it says something that NV was supposed to be bigger, yet I spent more time on single playthroughs of Fallout 3, with what felt like less wasted time. Exploration is just a waste of time in NV, just stick to the roads. It makes it very rote.

3. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    So I registered here two years ago today.

So much has changed...but it's mostly still the same. :p

4. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Two years and you have been able to hold on to an avatar for... what, three or four weeks the longest. Choose a face. Or at least a theme like Jello.

5. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Ah, young Revanfan1, I shall watch your Lit career with great interest.

Dante1120, Revanfan1 and Gamiel like this.
  6. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Although I will miss new vegas and all its Gambling and Sex

I can't wait for this game.

This game was number 1 on my list now we wait for half life 3.:p

7. Praenomen Cognomen

Praenomen Cognomen Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2013

Man... I agree with everything you're saying, if you switch every instance of the words "New Vegas" and "Fallout 3."

Which is funny when you consider that you actually can make a railway rifle and a deathclaw gauntlet in New Vegas...

Anyway, my feeling with New Vegas was that it was just absolutely glowing pregnant with opportunity. Perhaps the payoff wasn't as great, but I found the journey insanely more rewarding than Fallout 3. In any given moment, I was happier just standing there in New Vegas than I ever was in Fallout 3.

Gorefiend likes this.
  8. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    FO3 felt utterly linear and had barriers and subway stations everywhere that blocked exploration and made the wasteland feel much larger than it actually was. There are no meaningful choices in the base game, and it required the ending DLC to be even a bit meaningful. Well, perhaps the Megaton stuff was a nice choice but that wasn't even a main quest and you could still do the wasteland survival guide anyway (albeit with a twist).

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

9. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    New vegas just had so much more to do and felt like society was rebuilding

there are like 80 quests in new vegas and 30 in fallout 3.

Out of curiosity what do you guys think are the chances that Obsidian will make another fallout game.

Gorefiend likes this.
  10. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    Who knows, I certainly hope they make another real Fallout game (Fallout 4 might be one, but I doubt it), if they can get Obsidian to do it and actually give them the time for it this time, all the better.

11. Praenomen Cognomen

Mar 24, 2013
    What I do see in the FO4 trailer is that they seem to be paying attention to at least the superficial critiques. The visual style, if not quite the mid-point of the two games, at least has less of the overwhelming dreariness of FO3. The shot of the dude in the fedora is the sort of thing that gives me hope.

12. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Zorrixor likes this.
  13. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014

Lets hope so Since if they could just keep doing the Bethesda=East coast Obsidian=West that would be fantastic

Now I wonder which ending to fallout new vegas will be Canon

14. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    No. I like variety. ;)

15. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    You have become someone else. You have become . . . something else.

Dante1120 and Revanfan1 like this.
  16. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    YES!!! I thought it looked familiar!

...but why are there mountains? What are they, confusing us M*******s with New Hampsha? [face_not_talking]

Edit: Don't you star out my people's name, JC auto-correct!

17. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    So when will we get Fallout: Canada & Alaska?

18. Dante1120

Dante1120 Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 5, 2006
    Canada.

Canada never changes.

Gamiel likes this.
  19. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Since the dawn of time Canada has loved maple syrup and piece.

Also I wonder what Vault 111 social experiment was.

Also I wonder if we will get any references to new vegas

20. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    LO, I HAVE BEHELD THE ANGRY ROAD MOVIE WITH ALL THE DIRT AND THE ROBOT ARM THAT MAKES NO SENSE AND IT IS MAJESTIC

21. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    I'd wait for DVD, I prefer Mel Gibson and the originals, remakes/reboots rarely if ever appeal to me and I often find them degrading. .

22. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    but the feminist agenda

23. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    [assume I inserted a "SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY" gif here]

Enclave, though? Are you sure it's not the INSTITUTE from Fallout 3?

I thought you just did. :p

It's an unfinished game with too many jokey elements - the "Wild Wasteland" trait is somewhat ironic, considering that you can go through a random time portal in Fallout 2. Also, ghosts.

Unlike NV which... didn't have one? Not sure where you were going with this.

They weren't. Originally the conception was that the more you learn about them, the better they seem - for instance, in the finished game you do hear constantly about how safe their lands are and how bandits and raiders have virtually been eradicated; they were supposed to be a legitimate alternative to the NCR. Instead, they were demoted to the token 'bad guys' of the game. Not that it wasn't satisfying killing Caesar - with Boone and his former cyberdog and wearing the Burned Man's outfit.

Uh... F:NV was literally linear, considering that you didn't have to except you really did have to follow a very specific path through the Mojave Wasteland to New Vegas. (Which, to my great amusement, led to one of my friends missing all of it because he took the wall of Cazadores and Deathclaws as a challenge and eventually battered his way through the shortest path to Vegas).

Keep in mind, I did enjoy F3 more, but really I just enjoyed F:NV slightly less. I still played the hell out of both of them; they are both two of my favorite games.

I know, I keep hoping someone takes away Elder Scrolls away from them too, after the sheer awfulness of Skyrim. ;)

24. Praenomen Cognomen

Mar 24, 2013

Wait... What? Did you even see it?

It's not a remake or a reboot... It's a sequel.

25. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Finally saw the trailer. USS Constitution with rockets? Awesome!

And yes, looking at the trailer it looks like it might not be the Enclave at all. I didn't see anything that screamed Enclave to me -- the power armor looked like T-52b or whatever, and the vertibirds can easily be Institute. Sad. :(

As for the FO3/NV debate: FO3 killed you and ended the story. I never finished NV because I kept restarting it a lot to try different builds, but I don't recall hearing complaints of it being unplayable after the credits.

...and yes, you had to follow a road in NV. It told you that you had to follow a road. How did you imagine being literal was a refutation?

Gorefiend likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.