main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Indi, IN Indy Knights - Town Hall Meeting

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by Krash, Oct 29, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Krash

Krash RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 11, 2000
    Ok, as the new RSA responsible for The Indy Knights...and after visiting you other message board...I think giving everyone the opportunity to discuss these "bridges" that everyone seems to think are burned beyond recognition, would be in order.

First, a couple of ground rules:
    While I am well aware of the conflict in the past with Darth Jurist..I do not want this turning into a "let's all bad-mouth DarthJurist" session. Don't think I won't enforce the TOS and rules of the FF boards (as I view the situation) to the best of my ability. As a former hockey referee...I tried to let the players "play the game" but within the rules of the game. I will edit/lock/ban were I feel necessary.

Second, if you have issues to bring up, I am willing to listen. But let's keep the profanity out of the discussion, and the second grade antics in the past. I was of the opinion that Indy Knights were considered (by many) one of the most respected SW fan groups around...I would like to think that reputation was desirved Am I mistaken?

I have always been of the opinion that "bridges are burned" only when people are unable/unwilling to work together to put the flames out. Now on JC boards...I can't help you (much) if you get in trouble. And here on the FF boards, my goal is to be more of an "advisor" to your CR...with the authority to step in where needed. ASk anyone from my chapter, and they'll tell you when push comes to shove...they know I will stick up for them. Sebulba-X (when he was RSA) had my back once, and I intend to honor that "life debt" to the best of my ability. But to do that, I need you guys to be somewhat active here on the FF boards.

So, now that you know a little about how I see the situation...what are your thoughts?

2. Jorg_Sacul_from_C2

Jorg_Sacul_from_C2 Jedi Master star 3

May 30, 2002
    I wish you well in your endeavors.

3. A-Spill-Of-Moonlight

A-Spill-Of-Moonlight Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 8, 2003
    When is said meeting? Or do we just post our comments to this thread whenever we feel like it? Info please??

(Like Jorg, I wish you all the luck in this...)

4. Incom4

Incom4 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 4, 2001
    First off who told you that the IK "burned bridges"?

To bring you up to speed the IK were planning to create our own forum long before DJ got involved. We had talked about it before C2 when Seb was wrongly fired as RSA.

Don't get me wrong I like TF.N I just do not agree with the way some of the RSA's put there nose where it does not belong.

5. A-Spill-Of-Moonlight

A-Spill-Of-Moonlight Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 8, 2003
    OMG!! InCom4 has appeared from on high! WooHoo! Yay!

*bows to the mighty InCom4*

Oh wait, I don't have to bow to you anymore...

*goes off in search of whojedi...*

:p

(Sorry couldn't resist posting...I think I have had way to much sugar this morning....)

:)

6. Incom4

Incom4 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 4, 2001
    From the Fan Force FAQ page:

How can my city be recognized as a FanForce Chapter?
    Well, it's simple. Each metropolitan city is divided into regions. (You can view a list of U.S regions and International Regions here .) These regions are also "categories" on the FanForce Discussion Forums. These regions contain unique City forums, where Star Wars fans come together online and meet fellow, like-minded fans from their area. But FanForce is not about the "online"world. The following is a list of pre-requisites in order for your city group to be recognized as an official FanForce Chapter:

Get to know everyone posting in the forums for your respective cities. If your city is currently not on the forums, start it up! Maintaining a strong presence on the forums is vital!
    Start planning group activities and meeting with each other! Communities are not built over the Internet alone!
    [IMPORTANT] Your city group must plan and execute three events or activities and have advance notice of each posted on the FanForce Headlines/Main page. We want you guys to build grassroots, self-contained clubs that actually do more than just chat on the forums all the time! Network with your fellow fans! Without the completion of this particular guideline, consideration cannot be given.*
    Choose one individual to represent your organization to FanForce. This person will work directly with a FanForce Regional Support Administrator to help you plan out activities, interface with charities, gather sponsors (if and when necessary) and address all issues and concerns regarding FanForce and TheForce.Net in general.
    A local FanForce can be run any way the fans of that city wish it to be run. All we ask is that you use our FanForce City Forums as your online meeting place!
    *Special consideration can be given to city groups and clubs that have demonstrated a sustained membership and record of activity.

It seems to me that we are following the rules. Our CR is supposed to give you (RSA) notice of all of our events (even though they have not been posted on the FF main page since 10/02)

7. Sebulba-X

Sebulba-X •X C2 C3 MW RSA• star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2000
    It's not about bridges being burned, nor who does/doesn't like DJ, nor me being an RSA, or even our opinions about FF in general...we just came to the realization that this forum wasn't meeting our needs given where we're going. Some of us had been talking about it for a while, and the flare up gave us a reason to put something together for the rest of the group to vote on. We aren't the first and only group to create their own forums, and I'm quite sure we won't be the last.

Indy Knights is the club; FanForce is the fan club network we're an affiliate of. That has always been our position since Ron became president and our bylaws were written up. If there were other fan club networks out there, we'd probably be affiliated with them as well. It enhances our club, increases our membership, and that's a good thing.

I guess I'm not exactly sure what the problem is. There's obviously people still coming to this and other FF/JC forums, myself included to justify it's existence. If you guys have personalized this expansion of our club as something other than what it is, then I'm not sure what to tell you.

8. whojedi

whojedi Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 14, 2001
    I have to agree, I don't really think that there is issues or problems that need to be discussed. We just outgrew the Fanforce boards and started a new one. This board is an Indianapolis board, not an Indy Knights board. Our new forums are the Official Indy Knights boards. We still post here, just in a more limited extend. People new to the area and wanting to learn more about Indianapolis area SW activities can come here and learn what is going on.

The city forums are kind of like the FanForce's children, they are eventually going to grow up and move out of the house. But, they still come by to visit and keep the parents updated on what is going on in their lives.

That is the way I see it. No problems here at all and hopefully we won't cause you too much of a headache Krash. Congratulations on your new position.

9. thraken76

thraken76 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 19, 2001
    We aren't the first and only group to create their own forums, and I'm quite sure we won't be the last.

yeah, giving power hungry star wars fans the ability to edit posts and a moderator link does not equal good forums.

Don't like the mods (seb-x excluded), don't like the rules and don't like the drama.

We got our own place now, so don't be stickin out the olive branch so you can have people posting in your intarweb realm. Now when we are talking to each other we don't have to worry about people that dirive their sense of importance from editing TF.N boards sencoring what we say to stir up drama.

Oh yeah grats on your "position"! U R uber 1337 lol!!!1!

10. Krash

Oct 11, 2000
    First off who told you that the IK "burned bridges"?
    Just a term I saw used (by a few of you) to describe the situation...I was looking around on your EZ board (no offense) to get a better understanding of where the problems came from.

whenever we feel like it?
    Actually, i wanted to give everyone the opportunity to air-out some issues Indy Knights have had in the past...so i can get a better sense of what I can do to help you on this end. Hopefully, this won't be a long-term project and we can work past some of the problems of old.

Don't like the mods (seb-x excluded), don't like the rules and don't like the drama
    I'll try not to take that too personally...and frankly, I'm not a fan of drama on the boards as well. As for the rules, I try to enforce more of the basic guidelines for conduct (no swearing/this ain't E-bay) and let you guys handle the details personally.

We got our own place now, so don't be stickin out the olive branch so you can have people posting in your intarweb realm
    I've got no problem with you having your own message board, my goal is to make sure Indy Knights (while an independent entity) can find a way to co-exist with the rest of Midewest Fanforce.

we just came to the realization that this forum wasn't meeting our needs given where we're going.
    One of my goals for this thread...is to get a better understanding of what I can do to assist in that. If the general consesus is "stay the #### out of our way" (try to phrase it better then that...please) that's cool. All I'm looking for is some opinions on what FF can do for Indy Knights.

We still post here, just in a more limited extend
    That's all I needed to know. Just making sure we all leave the door open!

thraken76, if you don't like/know how to play nice with the other kids...not having you around the FF boards is the least of my problems. My concern is to ensure IK and people interested in IK have a way of communicating better via the FF boards.

11. Jorg_Sacul_from_C2

May 30, 2002
    I've got no problem with you having your own message board, my goal is to make sure Indy Knights (while an independent entity) can find a way to co-exist with the rest of Midewest Fanforce.

We get along fine with everyone else on the planet, except for your tin-plated dictator of a predecessor. We have fun and do all the Star Warsy things of which we're capable.

There are lots of us, there is one Darth Jurist. She is moot. We will survive. Her predilection toward honking off people will be her undoing.

I like you, and your straight-forward manner. You ought to give lessons to the pedantics.

We'll post over here, as needed.

12. Naboo Queen

Naboo Queen Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 10, 1999
    I'm the guilty 'burning bridges' person. That's how I had understood the situation, but then on the next post Ron clarified that there were no burned bridges. So I think, unless I am mistaken, that I was the only one who said a 'burning bridge' comment, and that was out of ignorance, so Krash doesn't need to worry about them any more. The bridges are safe!

13. Krash

Oct 11, 2000
    except for your tin-plated dictator of a predecessor
    Again, I know there was some conflict (in the past) between many of you and DJ. But as I said at the outset...

I do not want this turning into a "let's all bad-mouth DarthJurist" session.
    I'm more concerned about what I (as RSA) can do to help IK as a FF chapter NOW.

IK seems to be a very self-contained organization, and I'd like to see more chapters develop their own identity. The editing and sometimes locking stuff is part of the job...but unless it's something major (or if I get a request from the CR...or any of you to step-in) I plan on acting more as an "advisor" then taking action.

14. EMERALD_GREENE

EMERALD_GREENE Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 23, 2001
    Thanks for your help & support Krash. Thanks for letting us all know your intentions & where you stand on certain issues. We (I) will keep you up to date as to what's going on here as necessary & I, for one, am looking forward to working with you in the future.

15. Sebulba-X

Sebulba-X •X C2 C3 MW RSA• star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2000
    "I was looking around on your EZ board (no offense) to get a better understanding of where the problems came from."

Our EZ Board is open to any and all people who want to visit and post there. The only private forums there are the Sith Council Collecting (to prevent Indy based scalpers) and the Admin/Officier forum (for board issues and pre-meeting organizing). We aren't sneaking around or tiptoeing about with it, or we wouldn't have linked up to it off our website...so consider this an open invitation to visit, hang out, shoot the breeze, etc, etc, etc. :)

16. Jorg_Sacul_from_C2

May 30, 2002
    Its just a Star Wars club. Whether or not we exist as a Fanforce group, or an EZ boards group... its just a fan club.

17. zuckuss1138

zuckuss1138 Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 26, 2001
    yeah, giving power hungry star wars fans the ability to edit posts and a moderator link does not equal good forums.

i'll tell ya what does equal a good forum, giving zuckuss power!!!!!!!!!!!!no zuckuss, no peace!!!!!!!!!! you will obey me or die!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

18. Krash

Oct 11, 2000
    no zuckuss, no peace
    Is that all it takes to keep you IK folks happy? Well gosh, in that case..."Zuckuss my grits!" :D

I'm interested in what you guys think about the way FF boards have been administered in the past. Again, let's keep the hash language/DJ bashing to a minimum...and stay focused on the task at hand. I know many of you have expressed little/no support for "outlanders" (such as myself) from stepping in when our obligations as RSA/mods requires it. Sebulba-X was/is a good example of what a mod should bring to a FF chapter, and he's stepped in Cleveland's boards (without us getting all hissy at him) As far as I'm concerned...you guys use the FF boards as you see fit, just follow the basic rules of the TOS and I won't have to send anyone "to the penalty box" Cool?

19. Quag_Myr_Rumm

Quag_Myr_Rumm Jedi Youngling star 3

May 28, 2002
    Therein lies part of the problem. What is bashing and what is expressing a problem with an individual. It was DJ's heavy handedness that really got this issue going. The level of dictatorial power and it's mis-use is part of the problem with TF.N.

I understand that a level of control must be present. If I were to say racially or sexually oriented remarks about DJ then you would have a point. However, it is my opinion and well placed based on my obervations that as a moderator DJ stinks and mis-uses the power she has. That comment was about her performance of duties.

Thats the problem is teaching people where the line begins and ends - both moderator and poster. However, the person in authority bears most of the responsiblity in knowing the difference and being able to explain the difference. I think she does a poor job at both knowing and hence explaining.

Its easy to say don't bash, but DJ is the example of why many were tired/fed up with TF.N. To understand how to meet our needs and what we want, then you will have to visit the DJ issue and what lies at the heart of it.

20. SL-616

SL-616 Jedi Youngling

Oct 25, 2002
    Thanks for your help & support Krash. Thanks for letting us all know your intentions & where you stand on certain issues. We (I) will keep you up to date as to what's going on here as necessary & I, for one, am looking forward to working with you in the future.

EG.
    You are not the RSA.
    You are not the interweb policia. Plz stop making the intarweb a better, safer place for me.
    Plz stop being a "Spy" for the great people at TFN. and speak for all of the interweb.

Unlike you, I am not "looking forward" to the wrath of Krash, if you are feeding him all the great information of the past and representing the IK. KRASH will have to prove to the rest of IK that he is not Castro, otherwise 95% of the other members will never return to a dictated board.

The TFN boards went from being a cool place to hang out a talk SW and stuff to being a communist run China. I would rather defect than have my speech edited by the governmental press.

I'll stop here.

Tk-616

21. Krash

Oct 11, 2000
    Its easy to say don't bash, but DJ is the example of why many were tired/fed up with TF.N
    First of all, I have to say your post was possibly the most mature critical commentary (on this topic) I have read...thank you! I can respect and listen to an complaint better when it is phrased in a mature and respectable manner:

"It was DJ's heavy handedness that really got this issue going"...is something I can work with, as opposed to:

"Stop being a Fu^*ing Nazi?. Jurist, get the F^&k out of Indy, your not welcome anymore. Who the hell are you to tell us anything? ? You have no say in our forums unless our own RSA has a problem"
    First of all...she WAS the RSA responsible for IK. And second, this kind of attitude does nothing to make me (as a moderator) want to listen to the (possibly) valid complaints of this person. In fact, the author of this got banned...rather then find a solution to the problem.

KRASH will have to prove to the rest of IK that he is not Castro
    I think this attempt at opening a dialogue on the concerning IK is a step in the right direction...it has to start somewhere.

Now SL-616...can YOU (and your TK-616 alter-ego) prove you can carry on a mature conversation on the issues; without resorting to junior high delinquent behavior?

I am not "looking forward" to the wrath of Krash
    I am not looking forward to being forced to use it...so let's ALL try to keep things civil around here. Can you do that SL-616?

22. zuckuss1138

zuckuss1138 Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 26, 2001
    can you do that sl-616?

in my experience the answer to that is no :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.