main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Indy, the dad?

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by kaeori, Jun 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kaeori

kaeori Jedi Youngling

Jun 15, 2003
    Just something I wanted to ask. Should Indy be a dad in the next film? Should he have a son or maybe a daughter? I think a daughter would be an interesting twist, I imagine Jones being extremely over protective of his "little girl" and threating her boyfriends with his whip.:)Just think of her wedding day! *LOL* On a side note here I read some place that Jr. was married twice and had a daughter name Lucy (I think) is this all someone's vivid fantasy? I wouldn't know because I haven't read any of the books. :(

2. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    We have this discussion in a number of other Indy 4 threads here, but as it's a recurring one maybe it's time it had its own discussion thread.

Me, I'm hoping the story isn't burdened with children at all. We've already had one IJ move with a child as co-star, and it's generally regarded as the worst of the 3 films to date. Whether there's a correlation beteen Short Round & the (relative) unpopularity of Temple of Doom is debateable, of course...

3. yodaschum

yodaschum Jedi Padawan star 4

May 9, 2002
    Yes, I believe it will happen.

4. Dubya_Fett

Dubya_Fett Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 2, 2001
    I don't want to see a little kid running around in Indy IV (although I'll admit, I did like Short Round in "Temple of Doom"). I'm against the idea of an Indy Jr., because we already had the father-son dynamic in "The Last Crusade". Harrison Ford has already dismissed rumours that Indy's son will appear in the film.

However, I think it might work for Indy to meet a long-lost adult daughter. She could be an archeologist also and just as tough as him. Remember in "Raiders of the Lost Ark", when Marion asks Indy "Do you know how you ruined my life?". What if Marion discovered she was pregnant after Indy left her and, considering she was young and unmarried and it was the 1920s, she gave the child up for adoption without ever telling him. That would help explain why Marion is so bitter towards Indy and why Marion's father had a falling out with him. This could also be the reason why Spielberg reportedly wants Karen Allen to do a "soundbite" for Indy IV. Perhaps after Marion dies, she leaves a letter for Indy revealing that he has a daughter.

Also, if I remember correctly one of the Old Indy segments on "The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles" TV series showed that he had grandchildren, so Indy must have fathered a child at some point in his life.

-Dubya Fett

5. kaeori

kaeori Jedi Youngling

Jun 15, 2003
    Dubya Fett that almost exactly what I've been thinking. We must be on the same wave length. :)

6. Schmoogle

Schmoogle Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 19, 2003
    I remeber reading somewhere that when Harrison Ford was asked if he would have a son in Indy IV, he said that he would be the only son in it. So I don't think Indy will have a son or daughter.

7. StarDude

StarDude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 28, 2001
    But Lucas was the one who said he would have a son.

8. malducin

malducin Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 23, 2001
    Yep, but in the end a lot of things can change until filming starts (still about a year away). Spielberg, who in the end is the one responsible, might have something different to say about it,maybe have a daughter, maybe have no kids, who knows. Things change when casting, screen tests and polishing the screenplay.

The classic example was Ripley from the Alien franchise. The character was supposed to be a man, it was written that way, but at the last moment they went with Sigourney Weaver. They didn't even change her dialogue much because it still retained, regardless of sex, the camaderie of "space truckers".

9. Schmoogle

Schmoogle Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 19, 2003
    Ford told "Chicago Sun-Times" columnist Cindy Pearlman that there are definitely no plans for Indy to have a son. He didn't, however, say that Indy doesn't have a daughter

-Yahoo Movies

10. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    I actually would like to see Indy have a daugther. I think it would be an interesting dynamic for him to have to deal with that sort of thing, and it would be nice to have a young, strong female character too. But I wouldn't want her to be too young. At least a teenager.

-sj loves kevin spacey

11. JadeSolo

JadeSolo Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2002
    I think it would be nice for Indy to have a daughter, one who's a young adult (basically everything Dubya said). That way, you don't have the annoying little kids, you have the strong female character, and maybe even a love story, one for the daughter. Maybe she even falls in love with a bad guy, who knows? I personally would find it hilarious to watch Indy being a typical dad whenever some guy looks at his daughter, when he himself was quite the ladies' man.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.