main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Infinities ANH.Kinda sucked ,eh?(spoilers)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Matthew Trias, Nov 30, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ozzel

Ozzel TF.N Foreign Book Covers Staff star 5 VIP

May 14, 2001
    I hated the 1st one so much I never finished the series. Eveyone was so out of charater it was sick. :(

2. Smiling-Otter

Smiling-Otter Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 21, 2001
    My beef, (except for the whole Yoda-with-a-Death-Star-thing):

After a few years they hold their celebration on Naboo. THEN they bring R2 back to see C3PO? Not a day later, or a week, or even a month, but a couple of years? What, did R2 enjoy runing around inside that starship computer and not want to leave?

3. Knight1192

Knight1192 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 5, 2000
    Ok, if Yoda brings the DS down to take out Palpatine, but it comes down slowly, is it possible Yoda brought it down slowly so as not to kill off everyone on the planet?

4. Matthew Trias

Matthew Trias Force Ghost star 6

Sep 8, 1999
    Uhm..no.

Gravimetric forces would tear the planet apart.

5. The Cat

The Cat Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 24, 2000
    As ludicrous as the Yoda bin Laden's activities were, not to mention the idea behind it, the thought that the Death Star came floating down gently like a feather and ever so softly plunged into the heart of Imperial Center, making sure the planet's defense shields minimize the damage and result in no civilian casualties, is a tad bit harder to swallow.

With the population density on Coruscant, the deaths from the impact and subsequent fallout from an object the size of a small moon and combined with whatever nuclear (tech?) energy released from the core reactor would have been in the billions. NO shield could with stand an explosion of that magnitude, that's why even the capital ships at Endor high tailed it away from there. The buildings would all go down like a deck of cards, one after another. remember the WTC? ONly the two towers were hit, but the falling debris damaged all surrounding building, and caused others to collapse.

Yoda's actions cannot be justified. Especially not after 9/11.

6. Matthew Trias

Matthew Trias Force Ghost star 6

Sep 8, 1999
    ...not to mention that that was a pretty big Kablooie.

And either way,he still killed billions of people.

7. The Cat

Mar 24, 2000
    And why was the Death Star such an evil concept that had to be destroyed?

It indescriminantly kills billions of people at a time because of their differing political views. Go figure. And long live the Empire!

8. Knight1192

Feb 5, 2000
    Hold it. I was never saying that the Death Star didn't have to be destroyed. I was working off what others had said about the Death Star coming down slowly, wondering if Yoda was giving as many folks as possible a chance to escape. Yoda would have to know that there were billions of innocents who didn't deserve to die. While what he was doing would kill so many of them, giving them a chance to escape would show some compasion for them on his part.

9. Eva_Pilot04

Eva_Pilot04 Jedi Knight star 7

Nov 15, 2001
    yeah, but not very much compassion. and on a related topic, I wonder how the rebellion/NR covered up the fact that they turned endor into a nuclear wasteland in ROTJ. poor ewoks.

10. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    Umm, your mistaken.

Ewoks are alive and well, infact wicket just got married to kneesa recently in a ewok cerimony(EG to aliens), and kneesa became the new chief of the tribe, upon chirpa's death.

The whole ewoks are dead story was imperial propaganda.

Ewoks have been shown in many stories happening post ROTJ on endor(Marvel, star tours, bleeps blips and bloops by ben burtt, etc.). Infact it became a big tourest vacation spot after endor.

11. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    >>Yoda's actions cannot be justified. Especially not after 9/11.<<

Whether or not one can justify Yoda's actions, I don't think 9/11 should factor into things at all. If the issue was written like that prior to 9/11, then there is no reason why they should have to censor themselves after it. Revisionist stuff post-WTC sickens me, it really does. It's bad enough a crashing speeder on Coruscant was supposedly cut from AOTC because of it (won't even go into movies that digitally remove the towers for no reason).

Anyways, the way I see it, while many would die because of Yoda's actions, keep in mind that most of the people on Coruscant around the palace were there to celebrate the Imperial's victory over the rebellion's 5th anniversary, so the vast majority of them were Imperials. Yoda's actions were a logical way to take out what probably represents 70%+ of the Imperial forces and high command. Yes, civilians were killed most likely, but many did escape in ships. Bottomline- what Yoda did fataly crippled the Empire, taking out it's command structure, almost it's entire naval fleet, it's supreme leader, vast majority of it's troops and officers, as well as it's super weapon. And in the process probably killed less non-Imperials than the number who died during the "true" galactic civil war.

Also, I thought it was a pretty awesome way to end the series, "Coming to see you I am. Right now.". The only thing that I thought was bad was the naboo celebration and the R2 thing at the end.

12. Rebecca191

Rebecca191 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 2, 1999
    Ugh, Yoda was evil. His actions were of the Dark Side. Either that, or he just snapped.

13. 181st Fighter Wing

181st Fighter Wing Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 8, 2000
    Three pretty good issues then it all goes to hell. What a letdown. An even bigger 4th issue letdown than Union in my opinion.

Another gripe: Two different art teams and neither could even get the Imperial logo correct. What's up with that? (For a view of what it's suposed to look like, check out Matt's icon.)

14. Disco_Dark_Jeedai

Disco_Dark_Jeedai Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 19, 2001
    I agree, issues #1-3 sweeeeet!! #4: Bantha poodoo

15. Darth Pyro

Darth Pyro Jedi Youngling

Jun 10, 2000
    They were all lame, but I read them anyway.
    I thought C3PO overpowering Han in #4 was especially silly.
    They definitely should have printed the original concept where Luke and Leia fall to the dark side!

16. ReaperFett

ReaperFett Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 9, 1999
    Chief Chirpa is..........dead? :( :_|

17. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    Sadly yes. They don't seem to have as long a life span as some species.

18. ReaperFett

ReaperFett Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 9, 1999
    take it the Medicine Man would be gone too then :(

Still, least Wicket is still there

19. Knight1192

Feb 5, 2000
    Hey, if the Ewoks had all died soon after the Battle of Endor, then we shouldn't have had any show up in Dark Empire. Check it out if you don't believe me. When Han, Leia, Chewie, and Threebio show up to rescue the survivors of the Emancipator, you can see a couple of Ewoks among the survivors, using a weapon a lot like Chewie's bowcaster. (Or was it the Liberator? Never sure which one crashed on Coruscant and which was was destroyed by the World Devastator over Mon Calamari without checking DE or the DE sourcebook.)

Not only did the Ewoks survive, but they appear to have become a part of the New Republic and some became even more technologicaly advanced.

20. The Cat

Mar 24, 2000
    Of course Chirpa's dead- lung cancer and emphasyma. Didn't you see the huge drags he was taking off that pipe in RotJ? And God only knows what was in it...

21. saberwielder76

saberwielder76 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 13, 2001
    The only gripe I have about Infinities: ANH, was in issue 4. I didn't like the end bit, where they were on Naboo for the victory celebration. The way that they drew Luke in his ANH Ceremonial outfit. Since Luke was a full Jedi in this series, I felt that he should have been dressed in Jedi robes. I liked the rest of the series though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.