main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Infinities - Return of the Jedi #1 Discussion (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Amidala Starkiller, Dec 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Amidala Starkiller

Amidala Starkiller Jedi Master star 6

Dec 11, 1999
    Star Wars: Infinities - Return of the Jedi #1 (of 4)
    By: Adam Gallardo, Ryan Benjamin, Saleem Crawford
    Cover Artist: Rodolfo Migliari
    Genre: Star Wars, Science-Fiction

Features: 2 Desktops

Welcome to the third installment of Infinities, the series that asks the question, "What would happen if you changed one little thing from the story in the film?" In this version of Return of the Jedi, an accident puts C-3PO out of commission, and he is unable to act as Jabba the Hutt's interpreter during his negotiations with Leia (disguised as the bounty hunter Boushh) for her "prisoner" Chewbacca. One misunderstanding leads to another, and before you know it, thermal detonators are flying and everybody's shooting! When the smoke clears, Boba Fett has reclaimed Han Solo's frozen body, Leia has commandeered Jabba's sail barge, and Luke is going to be late for an important rendezvous on Dagobah...

See Return of the Jedi as it might have happened! All of the action of the film--only different!

Pub. Date: November, 2003
    Format: FC, 32pg, (1 of 4)
    Price: $2.99

[image=http://images.darkhorse.com/covers/00/00224.jpg]

If someone beat me to it lock away. :)

2. Raven

Raven Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998
    This sounds almost like a parody... :eek:

3. wild_karrde

wild_karrde Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 8, 1999
    It's Infinities - it is a parody!

Along with Tales, I am boycotting this as I feel DH should be spending their time, money, and talent on good in-continuity stories. Though I have little hope that will ever happen [face_plain]

4. ReaperFett

ReaperFett Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 9, 1999
    I'm buying this without a doubt.

5. DARTH_MARK-22

DARTH_MARK-22 Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 11, 2003
    Oh, lighten up, WK. This story is just fun, same as the movies, books, comic books, video games and everything else. Does this really demean the continuity or even the integrity of Star Wars? Not at all. It simply shows us what might have been. That's why Marvel did the "What Ifs" and DC did the "Elseworlds." I've read a Superman comic book story entitled "Superman: Red Son" which answered the question "what if Superman's rocket had landed in Russia and had grown up to fight for the Russkies instead of truth, justice and the American way during the Cold War?" The story, even though it had nothing to do with Superman's continuity, was fantastic.
    Consider Infinities: A New Hope. Even though things screw up horribly at the beginning, with the Death Star still operational and the Rebellion utterly vanquished, Luke still becomes a Jedi, still redeems his father, and still topples the rule of the Empire. History essentially reasserts itself to its proper flow, showing us that the more things change, the more they stay the same.
    Consider the Infinities of The Empire Strikes Back. Even with Luke dead, there is still another Skywalker. Leia is trained into a full Jedi Knight, her father is still redeemed, and even if it ends on kind of a down note, so did the original Empire Strikes Back. It leaves it open for wonder as to how the story will continue.
    I'm not necessarily saying these Infinities stories are good. But they are definitely fun.

6. wild_karrde

Oct 8, 1999
    That's why Marvel did the "What Ifs" and DC did the "Elseworlds."

Except they still produced the same amount of regular titles. DH is producing Infinities instead of regular titles because they are too lazy to edit them properly to keep them in-continuity (see Darklighter). Also, it is a known fact that Randy Stradly, if he had his way, would turn SW EU into Star Trek EU, in that all the stories are random and have nothing to do with each other. He tried that with Darklighter, but the way the fans reacted to that taught him a bit of a lesson. Lets see if can learn from it.

7. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Looking forward to this- I hope it's as good as the ESB one was, though I'd settle for it being on par with ANH's.

Personally, I wish they'd make an "Infinities: ESB II" and followup that story.

8. Mayhem

Mayhem Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 28, 2001
    This looks like its going to be the best drawn one of the Inifnities. :D
    When's it officially out?

9. RogueWompRat

RogueWompRat Jedi Youngling star 4

Feb 15, 2003
    Yeah, I dropped Infinities after ish 2 of ESB. I can dream up my own "What ifs?" after a few doobies whilist watching the movies, u know?

10. Jedi_Dajuan

Jedi_Dajuan Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 30, 2002
    I just wish they would make other Infinities for ANH and ESB. Have multiple versions, it is INFINITIES after all. I find these stories interesting and good plain fun.

11. ReaperFett

Dec 9, 1999
    I say they just do an "Ultimate" Star Wars. Start it from a specific point, and go ongoing :)

12. NeoStar9

NeoStar9 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2002
    That would be nice. :)

13. Exar_Xan

Exar_Xan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 29, 2001
    That would be bad.

I mean i am with WK on this one. I think its a waste of time and money that can be better spend on making comics that are cannon. There are still lots of stories that can be told.

14. Blithe

Blithe Jedi Master star 4

Jun 24, 2003
    Sounds Kinda cool to me...

Luke misses his Dagobah appointment with Yoda?! hmm.. sounds like he's going down the Dark Path in this comic.

Jabba

15. JayCee

JayCee Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 10, 2003
    I wonder if C-3PO made it out of the palace.

He's not on the cover and then there is that 'accident'.

Awww, can't wait till it is published here in germany :(

16. wild_karrde

Oct 8, 1999
    I say they just do an "Ultimate" Star Wars. Start it from a specific point, and go ongoing

I thought that might be a good idea a few months ago, but then someone pointed something out to me: canon wars. People would eventually start arguing over which "version" of the EU was the true & better version. No good could come from it. I don't understand why they just can't put out in-continuity stories like they did in the 90s. I'd rather read more Rogue Squadron comics than this or Tales.

17. DARTH_MARK-22

DARTH_MARK-22 Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 11, 2003
    Personally, I absolutely love the Star Wars: Tales, and aside from a scant few examples, I see very little that could be considered as non-continuity.

And even if it didn't, it would still be cool. Sometimes story-telling isn't simply about sticking to the proper continuity, otherwise you're just a historian.

An excellent example of this is "Tag and Bink are Dead." If any of you have ever read "Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead," then you know exactly what this series is about. Written by the same guy who made the fan-film "Troops," this comic book series is a sort of story-wise "behind the scenes" look at the movies and essentially does the same thing as the author's film did: poke fun at the movies. I think it was one of the funniest Star Wars satires I've ever read. It was beautifully amusing and absolutely fun.

And why even bother with continuity? George Lucas himself said that he doesn't even consider the Expanded Universe as part of his creation. So why do Dark Horse and Del Rey keep pumping out new stories? Because it's fun.

Now I'm not saying that continuity should be thrown out the window. There is a reason for it, and it's good to have solid and serious stories that are concretely part of the whole. But sometimes you've just gotta loosen up. I would actually very much hate it if they stopped making these.

Oh, and the Darklighter series rocks.

18. ReaperFett

Dec 9, 1999
    That would be bad.

I mean i am with WK on this one. I think its a waste of time and money that can be better spend on making comics that are cannon. There are still lots of stories that can be told.

You say it's a waste of money, but you see how the Ultimate comics sell compared to the normal comics. They make MORE money.

19. RogueWompRat

RogueWompRat Jedi Youngling star 4

Feb 15, 2003
    Yeah, dunno what people are complaining about, Darklighter fits in fine.

20. JediMonkey

JediMonkey Jedi Youngling

Apr 19, 2002
    Is this out in stores yet? I can't seem to find it and my local comic shop told me they ordered it, but never got it in.

21. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    I didn't really like the Empire Strikes Back one, but AHN is really good.

22. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    I'll wait until it hits TPB, or read them in store.

23. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    The reason there is an ultimate line in Marvel's stuff is that someone reckoned that having to deal with 35-40 years of continuity was off-putting to new fans, thus the Ultimate concept.

Like it or not, loathe or love elements of it or not, SW has a reasonably cohesive and easily explained story: Sith - Empire - Vong END.

Now does anyone here know anyone who can render say the X-Titles continuity intelligible, or Spiderman's Clone Saga for example? Then there are the gazillion crossovers and several decades of work equaling hundreds of issues. There is a certain logic to this.

At the same time Stradley is on a fool's errand, for Trek books are on a high due to them not being that random, if you look at the projects Marco Palmieri edits you'll find a neat set of links not dissimilar to what Bantam did with SW. So just as ST borrows a trick from SW due to the fans not liking the books being random, SW decides that's the road for it...

Heigh ho, we live in interesting times...

JB

24. ReaperFett

Dec 9, 1999
    Spiderman's Clone Saga

They don't exist and we all know it ;)

25. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Well, this series is starting out promising- I like the feel of this series's first issue better than ESB's first issue (though that one obviously got better as it progressed), and the art is pretty good for the most part- though the Luke renderings felt off to me- particularly his first close up- yikes!

The moments between Ben and Yoda, as well as the entire last page with Palpatine, were great, though.

But, I wonder- what's up with the use of photo images for the Death Star 2? And why was it orbiting the gas giant of Endor and not the forest moon?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.