main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Infinities Tales Comics stories that were later were inserted into Official Continuity:

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Valiento, Feb 25, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    Ok, Do I have this right?

In gamer 6 in a totally offical continuity article we have:

The Hovel On Terk Street

Lando's Commandos: On Eagle's Wings.

Three Against the Galaxy

Outbid but never outgunned

Note... lando's commando's show up in Galactic Battle Ground as some of the forces that the empire troops have to elliminate in the battle for bespin.

In COD, and Databanks.

Yaddle's Tale: The One Below.

Note... that yaddle's tale is said to be a legend that may or may not be true, and way they they happen in the comic itself are questionable because jedi council membership is messed up a little(IE yaddle's apprentice is on the council when he souldn't be there).

Going by memory:

Single Cell

Back near the time of starfighter's release and the release of the starfighter short story, there was an article up on Lucasarts.com(From blackman as I recall) that talked about single cell would be in latest tales,and it would have a Nym story coming up that explored further continuity of Starfighter game. Infact the story explained a plot point in the game.

Also of note, we have cerasi talking about tales:

"In order to allow unlimited freedom of storytelling, the Infinities label has been placed on the anthology series, Star Wars Tales. This means that not only can the stories occur anywhere in the Star Wars timeline, but stories can happen outside continuity. Basically, if an event happens in Tales, it may not have necessarily happened in the rest of the expanded universe. For some stories, the distinction is largely inconsequential. For others, it's the only way they could exist (for example, there's a Darth Vader vs. Darth Maul comic coming soon)."

He mentions how stories may or may not be part of continuity. Which implies that we have to wait for official links from other sources such as gamer, or RPG books, games, or novels, etc, etc.

Well here's my question has anyone found anymore links to other tales stories, in Official Continuity Sources?

2. Sturm Antilles

Sturm Antilles Former Manager star 6

Jun 22, 2000
    I think you've got 'em all. Looks good.

Personally, ( outside of what Lucasfilm officially thinks ) I consider most Tales stories to be within my own canon, including the Max Rebo stories.

3. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    "Personally, ( outside of what Lucasfilm officially thinks ) I consider most Tales stories to be within my own canon, including the Max Rebo stories."

Note you can have your own personal continuity, but you can't have personal canon. Canon translates from latin into english as Law. Only lfl has the right to define law. Personal Canon is a oxymoron term by default. So I think you meant to say personal continuity, right, :)?

So while you and me both can have are personal continuities(I tell you I do have my own that links alot of tales stories in just like you), we can't define what is Law(That's LFL's job).

So I'm glad every time that LFL links continuity into what the define as canon, it validifies the story and lowers the chance of it being contradicted later. If you know what I my mean? :D.

4. Sturm Antilles

Sturm Antilles Former Manager star 6

Jun 22, 2000
    ::stares blanky::

Yeah...I think I got it. :D

5. chissdude10

chissdude10 Jedi Youngling star 5

Jul 26, 2001
    Val, I have another one that may possibly be canon...The one with Spiker and Big Gizz, I cant remember the name though.

6. IAmTheDarkSide

IAmTheDarkSide Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 9, 2002
    Yeah, can Dim Forces/Sandblasted and A Night on the Town by considered "canon by association"?

7. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    Apparently not until they get listed by other articles or sources saying they are part of continuity.

Infinnities until said not to be.

Honestly I hope sandblasted gets listed in a future sourcebook, or another story somewhere.

Another that might still be official is death star pirates, considering it was original printed in a seperate magazine that was considered part of continuity.

8. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    Not as far as I know. Neither one has been brought in the back-door, so-to-speak, by another source.

While some view A Night on the Town as canon simply because Zahn wrote it, that fact is meaningless when it comes to canon.

As far as I know, they have not been made canon by association.

Not even TOS addresses any aspects of A Night on the Town for Mara's entry.

9. IAmTheDarkSide

IAmTheDarkSide Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 9, 2002
    I know, but it clearly takes place right after Jabba Tape, which is clearly canon. It makes no sense for one to be canon and the other not.

Also, aside from being written by Tim Zahn, that story takes place DURING By The Emperor's Hand...

10. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    "I know, but it clearly takes place right after Jabba Tape, which is clearly canon. It makes no sense for one to be canon and the other not.

Also, aside from being written by Tim Zahn, that story takes place DURING By The Emperor's Hand..."

Yes, it doesn't make sense but that is lfl's policy sadly. Everything with infinnities isn't canon, unless later refrenced by canon sources.

Paraphrased from gamer 6, pg 113: "Star Wars stories not considered to be part of the Star Wars continuity are stories marked with the Infinities Logo, or contained in star wars tales."

Note this was written before tales was marked with the infinnity logo as it is now. Yes it's a bum deal but that is lfl's idiotic policy.

Don't quote me on this but I seem to recall reading an interview were someone asked zahn what he though of his story becomeing non-continuity, and he showed discust by the Infinnities policy. Does anyone have idea where that interview was, is, or if it existed?

11. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    Up to update with an author's quote to keep this thread as a good resource for the future when marking which stories should be considered continuity.

">>Ostrander, Do you consider villie's tales stories to be part of his continuity(Opposed to LFL's policy that tales aren't part of continuity)?

Personally? Yes. And I think the tag was put on SW TALES because not ALl the stories are continuity although some COULD be. But i also accept that LFL is the final arbiter, not me.

John"

12. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    I noticed that single cell was put into the new nym databank entry.

13. Knight1192

Knight1192 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 5, 2000
    I'd like to see the Vader and the Dark Lady tale be made canon. That one seems to fit into the timeline fairly nicely.

14. Wedge 88

Wedge 88 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 16, 1999
    Val, could you please tell me what some of the stories you listed are about? I forget and don't feel like looking. I think the first 4 are based on the stuff from Gamer #6.

On the subject, I seem to remember seeing something this past week that put one of the Tales stories into canon. I don't remember what it was though! It may have been from HNN. . .

15. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    "Val, could you please tell me what some of the stories you listed are about? I forget and don't feel like looking. I think the first 4 are based on the stuff from Gamer #6."

"The Hovel On Terk Street"

Greedo takes a bounty, and hell breaks loose.

"Lando's Commandos: On Eagle's Wings."

Lando and his commandos on an espionage mission as I recall.

"Three Against the Galaxy"

Three down on there luck tatooine drifters cause a ruckass and thwart a imperial moff as I recall.

"Outbid but never outgunned"

Boba Fett on a mission to protect his wife and child identities from being released on the market.

Gamer 6 came out after those 4 stories had already been released, and added more to their plots. In other words gamer 6 is based on stories that came before it, including underworld.

"On the subject, I seem to remember seeing something this past week that put one of the Tales stories into canon. I don't remember what it was though! It may have been from HNN. . ."

Ya? look it up for us, :D.

16. Knight1192

Feb 5, 2000
    Hey, quick question as I am a bit out of the loop as to what's out there now. How many Tales are there now, and what was in the last one? I'm being lazy and not getting out all my Tales to see which ones I have. I know I've got up to the one with the Vader/Maul duel, and I'm fairly sure I have the one just after that.

17. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    stormtrooper issue after vader/maul issue.

18. Knight1192

Feb 5, 2000
    Ok, that's right, the one with the stormtrooper's tale where the guy gets it in the end, ending up being the one Leia kills on Tantive IV in ANH. Thought I might have that one, but wasn't certain. Is it the most current, or has another been released since then? Really feel like an idiot asking you that as your answer seemed to imply it's the most current.

19. TalonCard

TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jan 31, 2001
    Yeah, so I guess "Single Cell" is canon now. What about "The Death of Captain Tarpals"? The chef character created for the story was later re-used by Windham in some of his EP1A books...

TC

20. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    well, that was the last issue I bought that is. I'm not sure if any other has come out yet.

I think ep1 adventures was actually written before death of captain tarpels but I'm not sure.

21. Knight1192

Feb 5, 2000
    I thought all the EP 1 Adventure books were out before any of the Tales comics actually began.

22. Knight1192

Feb 5, 2000
    Ok, just dropped by the DH site. Looks like there are now 12 Tales issues. 10 is the Stormtrooper cover, 11 has Han on the artist cover with no image of a photo cover and 12 has Vader on the cover again, again no photo cover avaliable. Here's the page with the Tales issues, and the covers for the two TPB out so far.

Edit: Okay, did just check out the dates. 11 is set to come out this Wendsday and June 5th is set as the release for 12.

The big story in 11 seems to revolve around one of Han's adventures in his younger days (sounds like something before Paradise Snare, hope that's the case.) 12 features Wedge fighting squadrons of TIEs, Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan facing off against Aurra Sing, some Vader story that it really doesn't go into detail for, Anakin Skywalker retreving his stolen lightsaber, and Tag and Bink return to fall into the Sarlac

23. Wedge 88

Wedge 88 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 16, 1999
    Well, I looked around at HNN for awhile and didn't find anything. It must not of been from there. I'll keep my eyes open.

24. Syntax

Syntax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 1, 2001
    "Outbid but never outgunned" is directly referenced in a recent issue of Gamer, which gives background info and stats on various Dark Horse characters (mainly from Tales and "Yavin Vassilika"). The article treats the Fett tale as if it's part of the continuity and everything Does that mean the Fett tale is "canon", now?

25. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    The article in gamer 6 is "canon", but the way it was told in tales may or may not be exact way it was in continuity, according to cerasi. But since outbid but never outgunned didn't mess with previous continuity too much, it is fully part of continuity now.

But basically LFL been saying that tales won't ever be "Canon" but that doesn't mean that some stories can't be part of the "Continuity."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.