main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Infinities Tales Comics stories that were later were inserted into Official Continuity:

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Valiento, Feb 25, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Syntax

Syntax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 1, 2001
    Well.. Cerasi was speaking before the comic came out. Perhaps it wasn't known how the story would actually go down. I mean, as it stands, the Maul/Vader story COULD fit into continuity, right? All it would need is a reference by a canon source.

2. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    It would need more than just a refrence, it would take a complete retaling to make the retaling of the story completely canon.

A mere refrence is canon and we know what story it is in refrence to, but it doesn't mean things happened exactly as they were shown in the comic.

Things would have been alot easier if they would have just not put the infinties label on the series. Back when peet janes was in charge the series was considered canon,

"Look for Star Wars Tales #1 when this unique first issue hits comics shops everywhere September 29. As a 64-page, full-color anthology featuring three completed stories and the first installment of an exciting two-part serial, Star Wars Tales is a perfect jumping-on point for fans who haven't been reading Star Wars comics in recent years, and it's a long-awaited addition to the Star Wars canon for already-enthusiastic fans."

Which it is a damn shame what they did to it.

3. Syntax

Aug 1, 2001
    I understand THAT... but all it'd take is Vader to say "I fought Maul... or at least a representation of him" or something like that, and bingo, right?

On a side note, unless a tale is totally re-told in a canon source, is it safe to assume that the events DID happen the way they were depicted in an Infinities source? Like.. if Mara mentions "I met Crix Madine once", but she doesn't tell us every little detail, can we assume that things went down the way we saw them in "A night on the town"?

4. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    "On a side note, unless a tale is totally re-told in a canon source, is it safe to assume that the events DID happen the way they were depicted in an Infinities source? Like.. if Mara mentions "I met Crix Madine once", but she doesn't tell us every little detail, can we assume that things went down the way we saw them in "A night on the town"?"

I'd say unofficially that would be our right. Similer to authors unofficially saying that they consider there "tales" to be part of continuity, like the writer of the villie comics(see quote earlier in this topic). Course it all depends on something if it's called a legend, by definition it is called into question of if may or may not having actually happened, or not happening the way that it was told exactly. In other words as webster defines it, "not verifiable".

But if she says I met Crix Madine, it could be a refrence to the story. Course it could also be refrence to another event altogether(hence the reason it takes a total retaling to totally lock a tales story into the continuity). But sadly that damnable icon keeps the original comic itself appocryphal(nothing can stop that except a letter from on high retro-actively removing the icon).

As well cerasi is one of the head editors if he for some reason doesn't like a story except as being appocryphal, he can keep it from being refrenced by his choice.

5. Syntax

Aug 1, 2001
    Hm. So.. to put it bluntly, the fans can simply throw caution to the wind and assume that the tale, as told in Tales, is probably how it happened? We can't be SURE, but we've got a pretty good chance? I mean, like the references to Villie's tales -- what're the odds those events happened TWICE? :)

6. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    Yes, that's how I see it. I think that's how the author of the villie's tales see it too(again I point to the author's quote posted earlier in this thread).

Except in the case that they say "legend" in that case they are flat out saying that the story isn't varifiable(as webster would define it), but people know about the story in the GFFA in-universe wise. On a continuity stand point to me I keep it as mysterious as that, that it is just a legend, and isn't varifiable, because I tend to take inuniverse quotes seriously how they are said.

7. skawookiee

skawookiee Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 12, 2000
    Yet another Tales confirmed by TNEGTC is the Amidala story where she falls in love with a guy who's her political rival's son. Summer Love or something like that. It's referenced in Amidala's entry of TNEGTC.

8. Syntax

Aug 1, 2001
    Really? That's cool -- good catch, there.

9. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    So does anyone care to post an updated list of every refrence and title of original tales story and where the refrence can be found to keep everyone updated what we have discovered so far?

10. Syntax

Aug 1, 2001
    Sift through four pages of debate and such? Nah, I think I'll pass. ;)

11. IAmTheDarkSide

IAmTheDarkSide Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 9, 2002
    teh list:

The Hovel on Terk Street - Gamer 6

Lando's Commandoes: On Eagles Wings - Gamer #6, Galactic Battlegrounds

Three Against the Galaxy - Gamer 6

Outbid but Never Outgunned - Gamer 6

Yaddle's Tale - Cloak of Deception

Single Cell - Starfighter etc.

Deal with a Demon - The Devaronian Version

Extinction - New Guide

A Summer Night's Dream - New Guide

The Death of Captain Tarpals - New Guide

Mara Jade: A Night on the Town - New Guide

Lady Luck - New Guide

12. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    That's great, now we just have to remember to update the list every once and while so we can keep the information handy.

13. TalonCard

TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jan 31, 2001
    I'd post that list to the "Help with TimeTales" thread. Personally, I'm glad Vader vs. Maul and A Jedi's Weapon are Infinites, but that's just me.

TC

14. Darth_Kevin

Darth_Kevin Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 30, 2001
    In this list, is there a line between becoming part of continuity, apocryphal and canon?

From my understanding, if an official canon source references something related to a Tales story, the actual Tales story is apocryphal, but the events of the story are part of continuity. If an official canon source directly mentions the events of the story, or summarizes it, then the Tales story is now considered canon - yes or no?

15. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    The current existing policy in effect:

Sue Rostoni (Gamer #6 - Oct/Nov. 2001):
    Canon refers to an authoritative list of books that the Lucas Licensing editors consider an authentic part of the official Star Wars history. Our goal is to present a continuous and unified history of the Star Wars galaxy, insofar as that history does not conflict with, or undermine the meaning of Mr. Lucas's Star Wars saga of films and screenplays. Things that Lucas Licensing does not consider official parts of the continuous Star Wars history show an Infinities logo or are contained in Star Wars Tales. Everything else is considered canon.

LFL has stated what is and isn't canon. They haven't updated with a new policy since then. But they have proven that some stories can be part of continuity(or at least stories that resemble what happened in a tales story). But officially by their own admition, the tales issues is not official part of star continuity. They also contain the infinities label which by their own policy does not make them an official part of continuity.

The only thing that can make something canon, would be for LFL to come back with a letter declaring a new policy, saying something like, "we were wrong some tales are canonical, and we remove the infinities icon from the series".

So right now no tales are canonical by lfl's current existing policy. We only know that events similer(and perhaps exactly alike) to what could be found in tales are part of continuity. Those events mentioned in a canonical book would make the paragraph in those books canonical. But it doesn't apply backwords to tales or infinities material, unless lfl was to retroactively remove the infinities icon by a letter stating a new policy.

16. TalonCard

TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jan 31, 2001
    Tales comic I'd like to see? Bungo 'n Rusti vs. Tag and Bink. :D

TC

17. Matthew Trias

Matthew Trias Force Ghost star 6

Sep 8, 1999
    REpost from another thread:

The Yaddle story in Tales is NOW IN CONTINUITY!! (continuity nerds pay attention)

However the Tale didn't happen exactly as we saw it. Yaddle was locked away. She was later freed and helped the inhabitants of the planet she was imprisoned on to rebuild their society. She then rejoined the Jedi Order. It was Even Piell who suggested that she be made a not only a Jedi Master,but a member of the council. Master Yoda was the only who disagreed with this idea. She became a member of the Council spproximately 200 years(give ot take a few) before the Battle of Yavin. That means that Even Piell has been a council member for about 170 years or so,since he was on the council when Yaddle was promoted)

She trained dozens of Padawans,including fellow council member, Oppo Rancisis. (he was present in the tales comic,as was Windu iirc. obviously they weren't there in reality. one of the benefits of that tale being infinities. BE glad the major parts were preserved)

18. Darth_Kevin

Darth_Kevin Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 30, 2001
    What's the source info?

19. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    the new PotJ Sourcebook.

20. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
  21. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
  22. JediMasterJVC

JediMasterJVC Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 23, 2002
    So, Valiento, what is our final word on Yaddle's Tale...?

Is that the way it actually happened or does it go on the non-contnuity list?

I mean they acknowlege it in too many canon sources to count, starwars.com databank, The New Essential Guide, Cloak of Deception, and The Power of the Jedi Sourcebook...etc.

So...should we make a poll? Or do you have the law laid out?

23. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    The version shown in the tales is non-continuity. The version from POTJ is the one that happened.

Basically ignore jedi shown on council in the Tales version of the story(except for Yoda and Even Piell), and everything else in yaddle's tale is kosher. The exact placement of the council scenes is about 200 years or so before TPM according to POTJ, just after she had escaped the pit. Yaddle took on Oppo Rancisis as her padawan when he was a baby about 170 years before TPM or so, some point after she had escaped the pit.

Unless Micah Giett(the only other jedi who's name is mentioned in the yaddle's tale comic) was over 200 years give or take in Jedi Council Comics, he couldn't have existed during the jedi council scenes of Yaddle's tale, as POTJ retells it.

24. JediMasterJVC

JediMasterJVC Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 23, 2002
    Do you think they will ever re-write this the correct way?

This is what I hate about Tales,...sigh.

Anyway here is my list.
    I have only read Tales 1-7 so far, so here they are. You will have to let me know for the rest.

Contiuity Tales 1-7

1. Extinction
    2. A Night on the Town
    3. Life, Death, and the Living Force
    4. Incident at Horn Station
    5. Routine
    6. Deal with a Demon
    7. The Death of Captain Tarples
    8. Three Aganist the Galaxy
    9. Lady Luck
    10. Sanblasted
    11. A Summer's Dream
    12. Lando's Commando's: On Eagles Wings
    13. The Hovel on Trek Street
    14. Thank the Maker
    15. Single Cell
    16. Outbid, but Never Outgunned

Tell me if you see a problem with any of them.

25. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    Well, POTJ is the correct version of the tale.

If your asking will they redraw the comic? Probably not. But the fact that the comic has the Infinities label on it helps it out, as we know that label allows for some "contradictions" within that magazine to be ignored by the Continuity sources.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.