main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Info on Fondor...

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Chilean_JEDI19, Jun 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chilean_JEDI19

Chilean_JEDI19 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 8, 2002
    Greetings, fellow fans.

First of all, I'm a newbie in this EU forums, so... if this thread doesn't belong here, please fell free to re-direct me and lock it.

The thing is... I need Info about Fondor... I already looked at the CUSWE, but I need more... environment, political system, administration, everything you can give me.

The basic stuff, I alredy know it... (The Executor, The Battle of the NJO) but if it is anything else, please, help me to find it.

Thanks again :p

2. Slash78

Slash78 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 30, 2004
    Well, if it isn't at CUSWE then it doesn't exist. The Jedi archives would be envious.

Fondor is a massive shipyard that came to its height after the Clone Wars. Probably started as a regional repair facility centuries before the fall of the Republic. Rendili managed the facility for many decades before the Clone Wars and many Dreadnaught-class Heavy Cruisers and Victory-class SDs were completed there. When KDY got the contract for the Imperial-class, KDY came to run the shipyard which grew to rival the Kuat Drive Yards itself. After the Senate was disbanded, the trade unions in the system where broken and cheap labor brough in from else where. Many of the skilled laborers from there would form the backbone of the Alliance Fleets secret shipbuilding and maintenance force (or at least the part Mon Cals weren't responsible for). KDY abandoned the shipyard a few years after the Battle of Endor. When New Republic Engineering, later known as Republic Engineering Corporation, was formed it took over responsiblity for they shipyard. It would be where the bulk of the Fifth Battle Group would be built. The facility would continue to perfrom maintenance for the Republic fleet as well as build REC, Rendili and KDY designs. When the Empire abandoned Fondor, much of there shipbuilding would be transfered to Bilbringi and Yaga Minor, two facilities that hadn't existed before Grand Moff Tarkin's determination to decentralize shipbuilding into the Mid and Outer Rims away from the prying eyes of the Senate and large shipbuilding corporations.

You can take all of this with a grain of salt, as I just made it up, but it soulds cool.

3. Fingolfin_Noldor

Fingolfin_Noldor Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 10, 2004
    I thought parts of the New Class ships were built at KDY docks in Kuat itself? Fondor did become something of a rival to KDY's own docks, which led to KDY stamping its logo on every ship it built.

Fondor fell to the Yuuzhan Vong in a catastrophe of galactic proportions, in no small part thanks to Jacen who was so mired by pacifistic tendencies that Anakin himself couldn't pull the trigger.

Fortunately, the yards largely survived and within some 6 mths or so, began churning out warships for the GFFA. In the turbulent mths after the YV surrender, it is likely that Fondor will continue rebuilding the GFFA fleet which was quite badly mauled and still has to police sectors which are pretty war torn at the moment.

4. Chilean_JEDI19

Oct 8, 2002
    I just made it up, but it soulds cool.

You can say that again! :D

Well... according to my own research, KDY was indeed in control of Fondor after the Battle of Yavin (as the SSD was their creation) but what about before that? Was Fondor neutral during the CW and at the rise of the Empire? or has it always been a part of KDY?

Does anybody has pictures of it? even the SW Classic comics could be useful...

5. Slash78

Jul 30, 2004
    The "New Class" of ships in BFC had been accredited to Republic Engineering Corporation, not KDY. Vessels contemporary to the "New Class", such as the Corona-class Frigate were KDY, but they weren't included in the New Class.

6. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    KDY wasn't in control of Fondor; Fondor was. They were competitors with KDY, and managed to get the Executor contract, which irked KDY no end. KDY managed to win the contract for all subsequent SSDs, however.

7. RogueWompRat

RogueWompRat Jedi Youngling star 4

Feb 15, 2003
    Didn't the Alliance take Fondor soon after ROTJ?

8. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Fondor was heavily influenced by Dooku - not exactly screaming support, but winking in his direction....

And Mrlsst was captured within eight months, so assumedly Fondor was too. Sadly for the Empire.....

9. killfire

killfire Jedi Master star 4

Jan 6, 2001
    Fondor is also the trade name of a spice that is very common in Germany. I wonder if we have a Maggi system in the GFFA as well?

10. Chilean_JEDI19

Oct 8, 2002
    I read somewhere that Fondor was under the Techno-Union's control during the CW... is this true? :eek:

11. Slash78

Jul 30, 2004
    "KDY wasn't in control of Fondor; Fondor was. They were competitors with KDY, and managed to get the Executor contract, which irked KDY no end. KDY managed to win the contract for all subsequent SSDs, however."

Divisions of the same company. Their is KDY, then there is The Kuat Drive Yards, still the main production design and facility, however it doesn't make up the entire KDY corporation. KDY being the overall company and controlled by investors/board members, while The Kuat Drive Yards (in the system of the same name) being controlled by the Kuat of Kuat (god I hate that name).

12. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    Yes, but Fondor wasn't part of the Kuat Drive Yards company, either. From The Essential Guide to Planets and Moons, pg. 87: "Though the stardocks at Kuat were the primary builders of the prestigious Star Destroyers, Fondor was unexpectedly handed the contract to manufacture the Super Star Destroyer Executor . . . If [the Fondor executives] did their job well, they might be able to steal more lucrative military contracts from their competitors at Kuat." And from page 117: "Although the respectable Fondor yards won the contract to build Darth Vader's Executor, Kuat execs made sure that all future Super Star Destroyers had their logo on the hull plating."

So, yes, KDY had facilities throughout the galaxy (the shipyards at Jaemus are a classic example), but the Fondor yards weren't one of them.

13. Pelranius

Pelranius Jedi Master star 5

Apr 25, 2003
    Or it might be a subsidary of sorts to KDY... in some cases, subsidaries get into very nasty fights with the parent corporations.

Oh, and the Centerpoint blast in Agents of Chaos pretty much removed Fondor as a major shipyard, apparently. (and to add injury to insult, it got taken over by the Vong until Wedge kicked them out at TFP, though it could have conceivably changed hands once again)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.