main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

info on the old republic (KotOR,TotJ, & other legit sources)

Discussion in 'Archive: Games: RPG & Miniatures' started by DarthArraKul, Sep 2, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthArraKul

DarthArraKul Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 30, 2003
    mandalorians... yes....

i have found some stuff.. nothing official...
    i have a thread in the WotC site on it

2. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Naughty, naughty, Dp4m, copying something directly from the WotC site. You should have simply posted the link. Can we say copyright infringement anyone?

Anything freely available (without charge) is freely available and thus isn't subject to "copyright infringement" as no damages can be proved, however proper credit must be given (as I provided with the link).

;)

3. Tramp

Tramp Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 6, 2003
    Not quite, but that's another matter. Most of the boards I frequent, would still call that infringement, and against forum rules. Particularly swrpgnetwork and the WotC message boards. Just bringing it to your attention.

4. DarthArraKul

Jul 30, 2003
    dp4m.. thank you for the post...
    i had forgoten to check the offical site for a few days .

does anyone have anything officail on the mandalorians?????

5. dizfactor

dizfactor Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 12, 2002
    Not quite, but that's another matter. Most of the boards I frequent, would still call that infringement, and against forum rules. Particularly swrpgnetwork and the WotC message boards. Just bringing it to your attention.

than the moderators on the boards in question don't understand copyright. dp4m is correct - he did nothing wrong.

6. Tramp

Tramp Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 6, 2003
    My point is, that it's better to err on the side of caution, when making posts like that. Published material is published material. And the stuff on the WotC website is still marked with a copyright statement, which means that while you can take it for personal use, you can't go distributing, or re-printing it verbatum elsewhere without permission of the author. you can print quotes from it, as long as you giv credit where it's due, but not the entire thing. I'm an illustrator and graphic designer by profession, and this issue is one of the things I have to deal with.

7. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    If you want awesome TOTJ era info, grab the TotJ SB from WEG on EBay or something. Sure, it's D6, but you can convert it.

E_S

8. HansHunkyChest

HansHunkyChest Jedi Master star 1

Oct 6, 2003
    I'm a pretty big Mandalorian fan so their history I'm pretty interested in. Tus far I've constructed a loose history.

In the TotJ era the Mandalorians were high tech hired guns. Their society was clan based with a single powerful leader (Mandalore) in the TotJ era. They were concerned mainly with enhancing their fighting ability and serving their honor code. They were roving the galaxy looking for a worthy opponent when the Krath rose to power in the Empress Teta system. They decided to attack the system and Ulic Qel-Droma challenged Mandalore to a one on one duel to gain control of his army.

After the Great Sith War the Mandalorian clans were dispersed after the fall of their leader. The individual clans never joined together under a single banner again. They attempted to fight the Republic directly after the Sith War but were again beaten and fell on hard times. Between TotJ and RotE eras they slowly died out.

Finally some years before TPM a band of Mandalorians called the Death Watch ransacked the planet Jango Fett lived on with his parents. He was taken in by Jaster Mereel the last leader of the Mandalorians. Mereel's group was slowly picked off by the Death Watch, including Mereel himself. Jango finished off the DW group pretty much by himself. With Mereel's death was really the end of the true Mandalorians.

While Jango and Boba have Mandalorian armor they merely Mandalorians by association. I might be a little off on some of the specifics but I think I got everything. Apparently KotOR fills in some of the gaps in the Mandalorians' history. Most of what I've got is from the TotJ comics and Jango Fett: Open Season.

Someone correct me with anything I got wrong, I'm a big Mandalorian fan and want to include them in my forthcoming TotJ era campaign.

9. DarthArraKul

Jul 30, 2003
    i would like to thank everyone who has brought new information or any type of information relating to INFO ON THE OLD REPUBLIC no matter the source.. to this thread..

thank you for the bio on the mandalorians... great stuff

I WOULD ALSO LIKE TO ASK EVERYONE TO PLEASE AVOID TROLLING!!!!!!
    we have a moderator and the moderator has spoken.. can we all keep the info TOPIC related here.. please?

on the note of the mandalorians..

http://www.rpgoracle.com/modules.php?name=Downloads&d_op=getit&lid=8

http://www.rpgoracle.com/modules.php?name=Downloads&d_op=getit&lid=4

http://boards1.wizards.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=101509

those are some goodies that are out there for you all to see.. thanx to Vashnaar at the WotC site for posting the forst two links and ForceInsensitive for the last one..

hope you all like

10. Warrior_of_Mandalore

Warrior_of_Mandalore Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 1, 2003
    Thanks guys! Really helpful! :D

11. DarthArraKul

Jul 30, 2003
    ok... so does anyone have anything new they want to post??????

as far as mandalorian psychology goes.. i have started lifting more and more triats from klingons and applied them to the mandalorians

i think form what i have been able to gather that the warrior/ honor driven society lends towards this. i would love to see some other tkes on the big M psyche

in addition.. i think that it is nore than reasonable to have mandalorian suicide bombers... makes 'em that much more scary, when you run into a group of them...

they live for battle and any chance to vanquish an enemy is taken!

12. DarthArraKul

Jul 30, 2003
    i also was wondering what everyone thought on mandalorian clan organization???

13. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    Hanshunckychest:

Don't forget the Marvel series which is continuity as well. Jasters group was only a small group of Mandalorians, the real armies were defeated in the clone wars, and later the population of Mandalore(women,children,warriors) were enslaved by Supreama. A Mandalorian named Fenn Shysha freed them and began rebuilding the Mandalorian armies. After the Battle of Endor the Mandalorians were seen a few times. They even helped Princess Leia out a little. After that they weren't heard from since, until * Spoiler*........................................................The Unifying force. Though only a small group was seen, no telling how many their really are after 30 years.

14. DarthArraKul

Jul 30, 2003
    i haven't had the chance to read TUF yet...
    so are those fenn's mandalorians, or more drawn from Jasters bunch?

an addition, i normally avoid all the mess at marvel, allbeit there were some great stand alone stories , it's just too out there for me to include in my little taste of EU, not to say that others shouldn't. it's just not my normal cup of tea

15. dizfactor

Aug 12, 2002
    i haven't had the chance to read TUF yet...
    so are those fenn's mandalorians, or more drawn from Jasters bunch?

from what i understand, they're Boba Fett's new recruits, not Fenn's group. for the most part, it seems that the Marvel Mandalorians are being ignored in the current continuity. John Ostrader has said that they're probably not doing the Clone Wars Mandalorian stories Fenn Shysa talks about, and others have said that LFL basically considers Jango's group (which died on Galidraan in Open Seasons) to have been the last group of Mandalorians prior to Boba Fett's (single-handed? most likely...) revival of the order in the NJO period. i believe that someone has said that LFL is writing off Fenn's account of the Mandalorians as basically a tall tale on Fenn's part - the events he described never actually happened, except in his head.

in addition.. i think that it is nore than reasonable to have mandalorian suicide bombers... makes 'em that much more scary, when you run into a group of them...

they live for battle and any chance to vanquish an enemy is taken!

i don't really see them as the suicide bombing type per se, but i can see the argument go either way.

here's how i see them and how i'm using them in my game:

the Mandalorian Clans arise sometime in the TOTJ era approximately 4000 BBY. at this point, they are basically like a combination of a mechanized version of the the Mongol hordes and the ancient Roman legions. organizationally, i see them as separate clans united by a common charismatic warleader. i figure that each clan is composed of a group of warriors, maybe about 100 strong, led by the most capable war commander, who needs to balance leadership ability with personal combat skills, necessary both for fending off potential challengers and also because Mandalorian leaders "lead from the front," so to speak. each clan probably has a specialty, like recon or heavy artillery, and several clans band together for large scale operations under the leadership of a commander. the commanders, as a whole, report to Mandalore (whoever he may be at the time), though they may challenge him for leadership.

they live by an honor-based warrior code, but not in a rigidly stupid way: they respect cunning and guile and have an appreciation for high technology and the latest weapons. note Mandalore's pride in Sith War when he explains to Ulic Qel-Droma that his men use only the best and most advanced equipment, and note that the terms he sets for his "honorable" duel for control of the clans with Ulic are a little one-sided to say the least - he allows a choice of weapons, and then chooses his basilisk as a "weapon," even though it would more fairly be classed as a vehicle in most respects. he also gives pretty solid, level-headed strategic advice to Ulic during the war and is pretty savvy at politics. however, he also expects to be killed for losing his duel. when he is killed, another takes up his mantle without hesitation.

it's very much a "come back with your shield, or on it" sort of thing. they have a harsh and somewhat unforgiving honor code, but at the same time they're not fanatics. they accept death, but they're not looking for it, so to speak. to paraphrase Patton, their job isn't to die for their honor, their job is to make the other bastard die for his. that's why i don't see them using suicide tactics regularly. they're too pragmatic to be hurling themselves to their deaths, and suicide tactics are only effective in certain circumstances. i see them adopting crazy, daredevil tactics like dropping from low orbit on the back of a basilisk into the middle of combat which carry a high risk of death, but nothing where they specifically plan to die. this is where i see the Roman parallels: organized, disciplined, balanced between honor and pragmatism.

however, by the time of Jaster and Jango, they've basically dropped all of the clan structure in favor of a more conventional military arrangement. they have become a highly-disciplined ultramodern mercenar

16. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    Actually it's been said that the Marvel Mandalorians stories still hold ground in continuity. At least that what Randy Standly says.

17. DarthArraKul

Jul 30, 2003
    good post DIZ....

i agree with most of what you say.

i think i was a little unclear on what i meant by suicide bomber.... my bad
    they are not recklessley blowing themselves up... i save the big blast as a last measure, and to this point only the minor warriors have done this. as a whole if they can withdraw and regroup they will.

18. dizfactor

Aug 12, 2002
    Actually it's been said that the Marvel Mandalorians stories still hold ground in continuity. At least that what Randy Standly says.

i know Randy wants to work with them, but LFL seems to be kinda so-so on the idea, and seems to be more inclined to write them off. plus, with the clock running down on the Clone Wars and so many plot points to hit, i don't know if they're ever going to come out of EU limbo...

i think i was a little unclear on what i meant by suicide bomber.... my bad
    they are not recklessley blowing themselves up... i save the big blast as a last measure, and to this point only the minor warriors have done this. as a whole if they can withdraw and regroup they will.

oh, then, hell yeah :) i can totally see minor warriors getting cornered and blowing themselves up as a last resort. that would scare the beejeezus out of any group of PCs, too...

have you seen the Basilisk thread in the Lit forum?

19. DarthArraKul

Jul 30, 2003
    been keeping an eye on it, hell, i even found some stats for one somewheres...... i just can't remember where right now... for all i know i may have even posted it ((( sleep deprivation is catching up to me)))

and, YES, my PCs are scared poopless of any mandalorians right now... hehhehehe. just to keep things in balance i have also shamelessly lifted the sith soldiers from KotOR and worked them in as well. they unlike the mandalorians surrender rather easily... so far.

i fully believe that either group (( low level mandalorians or sith soldiers )) provide me with my goon quota in the old republic time period that the stormtroopers serve later.

and the "suicide bombers" are currently from one clan only. i have different tactics in the works for every clan. and thats where my next question goes...<<< insert ominous music here>>>

HOW MANY MANDALORIAN CLANS WERE THERE??????

20. dizfactor

Aug 12, 2002
    been keeping an eye on it, hell, i even found some stats for one somewheres...... i just can't remember where right now... for all i know i may have even posted it ((( sleep deprivation is catching up to me)))

ooh, if you find good d20 stats for Basilisks anywhere, let me know. from what i understand, there are a few different types: recon, standard, heavy, etc.

and, YES, my PCs are scared poopless of any mandalorians right now... hehhehehe.

so far, my players haven't run into any yet. as far as they know (in character) they're all dead or scattered across the galaxy. of course, they aren't - they're more united than ever, and hiding out in the Cron Drift, quietly building an army to go rampaging across the Galactic Rim with, but they'll find out soon enough... they do have some hints, but i'm waiting for a while longer before i do The Big Reveal and the ball starts rolling in earnest... hee-hee-hee...

i have, however, introduced a group of Morgukai. the best part about it is that the players don't know how much of a match for a Jedi a Morgukai can be. one of the Jedi is not taking the threat very seriously... that's a lesson that's going to hurt... [face_devil]

just to keep things in balance i have also shamelessly lifted the sith soldiers from KotOR and worked them in as well. they unlike the mandalorians surrender rather easily... so far.

i fully believe that either group (( low level mandalorians or sith soldiers )) provide me with my goon quota in the old republic time period that the stormtroopers serve later.

i've got a bunch of local planetary militaries and semi-private armies belonging to corporate and criminal interests, and probably eventually battle droids as well, in addition to Mandalorian grunts. i think that fills out my goon quotient.

one of the scary parts of Mandalorians, even on the grunt level, is that they're smart, and a good number of low-level grunts using smart tactics will chew up even really dangerous opponents. in high school, i had groups of 9th-10th level AD&D characters cowering in fear from orcs (orcs!) using guerilla tactics. i'm looking forward to seeing who i can terrify with Mandalorian grunts...

and the "suicide bombers" are currently from one clan only. i have different tactics in the works for every clan. and thats where my next question goes...<<< insert ominous music here>>>

HOW MANY MANDALORIAN CLANS WERE THERE??????

good question! i'm thinking of the clan level of organization as being about 100 warriors and associated families and support staff, and that there are subsequently a lot of clans, but it sounds like your clans are bigger and fewer...

in any case, i don't think an official number of clans has ever been established. how many do you want to have?

21. DarthArraKul

Jul 30, 2003
    http://rpggamer.org/stats.php?page=d6/d6basilisk.html

D6 stats for the baislisk..

thanks to FORCEINSENSITIVE at WotC site

there is a pretty good thread there called
    SW-KOTOR CAMPAIGN.

there are some things that were not covered here

22. DarthArraKul

Jul 30, 2003
    anyone scare any stas up for the d20 baislisk out there yet?

23. ppal

ppal Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 13, 1999
    Since Im assuming this will be included in the SW databank at some point, which story will be accepted as Canon, the part about Revin accepting the dark side or the light side?? How do you think this story will be written into the SW databank as canon material in the wars between Jedi and Sith?

24. DarthArraKul

Jul 30, 2003
    well.. my guess is that the final word will be that revan came back to the light and put down malak..

it fits with georges universe much better..

anyhoo.. did ya see how bad things look at the end of the game if revan went dark??? that would throw everything outta wack.. however i am sure that it would make a wonderful AU situation

25. ppal

ppal Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 13, 1999
    Well if one used their imagination one could make the dark side ending fit into GL's universe. Although the republic fleet was defeated and Reven now has Bastilas battle meditation at his disposal. However, the jedi order was not completely destroyed and the remaining jedi fled to some unknown world outside the galactic rim, or even a world like Thule which is where the Sith city built by Ulic Kel Droma and Exar Kun was built containing the dark reaper. What if the remaining jedi set up quarters here, the sith could not detect them because there is a dark presense here (ala Yoda hiding on Dagobah). They wait for the Sith to conquer the galaxy and establish their sith empire. Then the Sith empire crumbles from within because the sith then start to turn on each other for power. This is when the jedi make their move. The Sith destroy themselves and the jedi retake the galaxy. This could happen over the span of several centuries up until the final conflict 1000 yrs. before ANH.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.