main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Information on the Imperial Academy

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Handmaiden Yané, Jul 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Handmaiden Yané

Handmaiden Yané Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 15, 2002
    Where is it located? Coruscant or Carida?

Are the students allowed to have breaks and go visit friends and family? If so, for how long?

And are women allowed to enter the Academy? Are there any restrictions to getting in and are they treated with any kind of prejudice upon entrance?

And any other information on it would be helpful. :)

2. Brant_Flir

Brant_Flir Jedi Padawan star 4

May 30, 2005
    Well, break wise, probobly worse than break periods in the US. During the Vietnom War US Marines had 30 days off a year, i think, but i'm not sure, but the Imperial Academy is probobly less time off and more time working.

3. DCWiz00

DCWiz00 Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 29, 2004
    Here's some info on Carida:Carida

Here is some on The Academy:Academy

There is also the Raithar Academy, the Syndaar Academy and several planetary academies that were precursors to the Imperial Academy. As for women, they were not allowed to enter under normal cirumstances, and never got very far without special help.

They were allowed breaks for a couple weeks a year but usually it was seen as a lack of dedication if you went. Usually, the students would communicate with families via holonet.

4. Handmaiden Yané

Handmaiden Yané Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 15, 2002
    Well, it is really important to my story that at least two women enter the Imperial Academy...and I understand that there were different branches for Intelligence and so on and so forth.

I'm looking for info about the Academy that Biggs, Typho and Wedge all went to and that Luke wanted to go to but never did. I also thought that Han Solo went to the Academy and that was on Coruscant...

5. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Where is it located? Coruscant or Carida?

Neither. :)

Imperial Center doesn't have any mega-prestigious academies, really, save for the University of Coruscant. That one isn't one of the renowned Imperial Academies, but rather, just a high-level school. It used to be considered one of the best, until the Empire came around and kicked out all the qualified aliens for cultural reasons. When that happened, they had to replace the missing students, so they ended up replacing them with sycophants and COMPNOR SAGroup flunkies. As a result, the quality of the student body dramatically suffered and so did the reputation of the school. That damage even affects its reputation in the NR era, since people never forgot what happened.

Carida has an élite stormtrooper training camp--THE main training camp, actually. It's not an academic institution.

There are branches on Raithal, Prevsbelt IV, and Anaxes as far as I'm aware. There are certainly others: there's likely one in Corellia, since there was a reference to Mako Spince shooting the Academy's "mascot moon". Soontir Fel and Han Solo both attended this one.

Are the students allowed to have breaks and go visit friends and family? If so, for how long?

Absolutely. When you think of the Academy, think of a school like West Point or Annapolis. They definately have session breaks, and they are seasonal, like any university.

An important thing to remember is the Academy isn't solely for the officer corps or the military in general. It's also a very prestigious school system that can put you on the high track for any number of careers, including politics or civil service.

And are women allowed to enter the Academy? Are there any restrictions to getting in and are they treated with any kind of prejudice upon entrance?

In a word: yes.

Officially, all sentient Imperial species are treated equally and the Imperial Academies are a meritocratic system. The only restrictions in place may be the restrictions that the military places on women in real life as well.

I'd imagine it was coeducational, since females are certainly seen in large numbers in politics as well as civil service. There aren't so many in the military, but there are quite a few high level ones. We have to assume that females are a normal sight in the military, though, or Mara Jade couldn't possibly have successfully pretended to be a TIE pilot in Dark Force Rising--the people she was talking to would've noticed.

There wouldn't be any prejudice, since the evidence shows us that females are a normal sight in the military and civilian career areas. Indeed, we've only seen two examples of prejudice--one Daala, who is criminally incompetent and probably earned it, and one Illor, who likewise must've earned it. The majority of cases seem normal.

As with aliens, the only prejudice you might see would be from invididuals and not the academic instititution itself. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.