main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

@#&$%ing Hasbro!

Discussion in 'Collecting' started by jacemathem, Jan 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jacemathem

jacemathem Jedi Master star 5

Oct 3, 2003
    As probably you've all heard, Hasbro has bought out Wizards of the Coast and then decided to hack off the entire retail department, thus leading to all the WOTC stores closing everywhere. I quickly ran to the nearest (and only) store in town and bought prematurely the remaining items I've had my eyes on. The employees didn't seem to happy they were soon out of a job, sharing a 'few choice words' about the latest actions. This also throws a kink into where I'm going to get my collectibles (RPG miniatures, sourcebooks, cards, other memorabilia) because not too many stores in town carry such things. My main source for my collecting is soon to be cut off!! Damn @#$%ing HASBRO!!

Anyone else having similar distresses??

And if you haven't already, GO TO YOUR CLOSEST WOTC STORE AND CLEAN HAUS!

2. DanakinSkywalker

DanakinSkywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 25, 2003
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Hasbro buy WOTC a long time ago? I got quite a few Stormtrooper 4-packs for like $6 way back, I thought that's when it happened.

Either way, the few Wizards stores I've been to have been little in-the-corner nothings in a mall. The only thing they had that I couldn't find anywhere else was the TCG. But even that doesn't matter anymore because no one else plays or even collects near me.

Anyway, to the point; the stores' closing has no effect on me.

3. YouAgain

YouAgain Jedi Master star 5

Dec 20, 2001
    does that mean no more magic the gathering?

4. DanakinSkywalker

DanakinSkywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 25, 2003
    Wizards still operates its normal business, they've just closed their stores.

5. robertyodarugenstein

robertyodarugenstein Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 9, 2002
    They 2 stores near me had closed over a year ago. So this is is old news to me. Plus they never had good selection of Star Wars stuff.

6. RogueWompRat

RogueWompRat Jedi Youngling star 4

Feb 15, 2003
    Hasbros like the freakin blob, remember when they absorbed Kenner and Galoob back in the day?

7. Amidala Starkiller

Amidala Starkiller Jedi Master star 6

Dec 11, 1999
    I didn't even know WOTC had stores in the first place.

8. Fan

Fan Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 9, 2002
    Everything there was overpriced.

9. Amidala Starkiller

Amidala Starkiller Jedi Master star 6

Dec 11, 1999
    I can believe it

10. indigovic

indigovic Star Wars Fan Club star 1 VIP

Mar 26, 2003
    >Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Hasbro buy WOTC a long time ago? I got quite a few Stormtrooper 4-packs for like $6 way back, I thought that's when it happened. <

Hasbro acquired Wizards of the Coast in September 1999.

The Stormtrooper pack you bought probably would have been when Wizards started to clear out Star Wars merchandise after Paizo acquired the Star Wars Fan Club license in summer 2002.

-Vic.

11. indigovic

indigovic Star Wars Fan Club star 1 VIP

Mar 26, 2003
    >This also throws a kink into where I'm going to get my collectibles (RPG miniatures, sourcebooks, cards, other memorabilia) because not too many stores in town carry such things.<

Several game publishers have mechanisms for finding such retailers on their websites. While most of them are geared towards searching for specific products from that publisher, they'll at least tell you how to contact a store in your area. Here are some of the better ones to try:

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=company/locator

http://www.wizkidsgames.com/usersearch.asp?&frame=stores

http://sabertoothgames.com/user/tools/populateUniversalLocator.do

-Vic.

12. Darth_Kevin

Darth_Kevin Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 30, 2001
    I went to one of those stores before, but unless there was a good sale, I could always find better prices elsewhere or online.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.