Inherited Some Old Figures - Advice on Selling?

Discussion in 'Collecting' started by jedi_master_ousley, May 16, 2013.

Moderators: CrazyMike, LAJ_FETT
  1. jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus

star 8
    I found an old bag of action figures in our storage garage that were apparently given to me when I was a little kid by a family friend and they were put away because someone was smart enough to not let a kid play with vintage figures.

I'm not a toy collector, and know very little about it. I would like to sell the figures, but don't really know where to begin. I found some of these on eBay, but I'm not sure what I should be asking for them since the ones on eBay are typically in a little better condition.

If anyone could give me some guidance on what I should be setting as a reserve for some of these, I would greatly appreciate it.

First up is an original Kenner EV-9D9 with collector's coin, still in box. There are some very minor creases and bends in the box and some scuffing around the edges. I found a few on eBay in better condition going for the $180-200 range.

[IMG]

Next up is Romba the Ewok with collector's coin, still in box. The box for this one has a few more creases and scuffs. Prices on eBay were ranging anywhere from $75-150, most in better condition than mine.

[IMG]

Next up: Imperial Dignitary with collector's coin, still in box. Box is in decent shape, though it looks like the retailer stapled it where the peg hangs due to a rip. Seeing anywhere from $50-250 on this one, so it is hard to narrow down.

[IMG]

Next: B-Wing Pilot with collector's coin, still in box. This is the best of the box conditions for the ones with the coin. I'm seeing this one in the $50-125 range.

[IMG]

Now I have a few that don't have the collector's coin.

First up: Bossk with ROTJ logo. I was only able to find one that had this same packaging, going for $130 or so in better box condition.

[IMG]

Next up: Leia Organa in Combat Poncho. The box is a little bent but in otherwise good shape. Seeing around $100 for this one.

[IMG]

Next: Bespin Security Guard with ROTJ logo. I also had trouble finding this one with the ROTJ logo. The box has a couple punctures in it, so not in great shape.

[IMG]

There are also a couple tri-logo figures in here.

First up is the Biker Scout. The plastic pealed off the box, so it technically isn't "still in box" but has all the components of the box. Box is in pretty rough shape on top of that. Seeing $200 or so for this one on eBay, but in way, way better condition and still in box.

[IMG]

The other is a Lando Calrissian in Skiff Guard Disguise. I only found of these for $25.

[IMG]

I'm really not looking to make top dollar or a ton of money on these. I have ZERO experience selling action figures or toys of any kind. I'd mostly just like to sell them reasonably quickly and make a few extra bucks to put towards student loans and such. Any guidance on what I should set as a reserve or "buy it now" price on these based on condition would be much appreciated. Thank you in advance!
  2. LAJ_FETT Tech Admin and Collecting/Games Mod

Administrator
    star 8
    Unfortunately your pics are too large and they keep crapping out my net connection as they try to load. Your best bet is recent closed eBay auctions on them to get ballpark figures. Given the state of the packaging, I'd then set the reserve a bit lower and see if you have any nibbles. I'd definitely list them separately as opposed to in one set. If you don't want to use eBay the Rebelscum forums have a classified section. You have to register to post but it's free.
  3. PadmeLeiaJaina Force Ghost

star 6
    You've got massive condition issues on all of those. Your idea of "Minor" won't cut it w/ vintage collectors. These are all fine for entry level collectors, but unfortunately the cards aren't going to get you very far. The plastic bubbles were stored somewhere hot so they've all yellowed - that's a heat related problem, not age. The cards also have creasing and lots of dings. All are punched.

You do have a few ultra rare figures. EV-9D9, Rom and the Imperial Dignitary are all the best figs because they're some of the last figures Kenner produced. Even in their condition you should be able to get fair prices for them. The figures themselves are mint so that's the most important thing.

With vintage collectors card condition is everything so don't expect mega high prices for any of the figures - but you'll do ok with them, just don't lie about the condition in the listings.
    Last edited by PadmeLeiaJaina, May 16, 2013
  4. Juke Skywalker Force Ghost

star 5
    PLJ is right on. The problem when the cards are in this shape is that collectors likely won't be looking to buy them for display. What they'll probably be looking to do with most of these is buy them and remove them from the card, giving them an unplayed with "mint" figure. I wouldn't take them off the card my self, though. Let the buyer decide that.

LAJ's advice about closed auction searches is the best place to start. My expectation for these would be something a bit closer to the prices of loose/mint/complete auctions than those for carded mint/near mint ones. Maybe mint/loose/complete +25-40% (For the POTF figures, the coin does add a bit of a premium there) [face_dunno]?

I wish you the best of luck with them :D
Moderators: CrazyMike, LAJ_FETT