main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Injuries During the making of fan films

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by Darth-Riskbreaker, Dec 5, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth-Riskbreaker

Darth-Riskbreaker Jedi Youngling

Nov 4, 2001
    Recently my friend and I were filming some short FX projects so that I could keep up on my rotoing skills while we were in the preproduction of our film. Well, we decided to do a short double bladed fight scene and my friend *cough*anakin_sky *cough* brutally hit me between the two bones in my elbow EXTREMELY HARD! It was like someone bit off my arm and then blew it up (OK maybe not that painful but you get the point) today, some days later my arm is almost recovered.

I want to here all of your painful experiences while making a fan film. Cant wait to hear them.

2. anakin_sky

anakin_sky Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 13, 2001
    I didn,t hit you that hard!!!!!

3. Douz

Douz Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 15, 2000
    We had a few accidents during the filming of Challenge of the Sith.

Douz (me): one calcified hemotoma in the leg from a dowel rod (hit by Yun (please note...we didnt really fight each other save for one block of the blades (which was high up)). One bloody nose (once again from Yun, during the only saber locking we have (near end of film)) One dowel rod to the temple (from Sedra...fight was cut)

Yun: Dowel rod to the head leaving a nice lump on his forehead.

Grn Jalera: dowel rod to the knuckles

Thats really all I can think of. Not too bad.

4. Enguerrand

Enguerrand Jedi Youngling

Nov 27, 2001
    Nothing serious during the makeing of Crystalline saber, I got clocked in the head with a katana when I failed to duck, that put me down for a second or so. We went through 5 different dowels in that fight... the katana didn't even get a dent, although my head did.

5. Qui-Stay-Gon

Qui-Stay-Gon Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 22, 2000
    Wait till you see the Duel of the Fakes: SE bloopers. Spone tore up his knee, but good.

6. Darth-Riskbreaker

Nov 4, 2001
    Aw man I cant wait to see the Duel of the Fakes and PA Wars: SE!

7. Aliensfilm

Aliensfilm Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 11, 2000
    A few years ago, I took a dowel rod really hard just above the right eye Leaving a deep cut about an inch long & a lot of blood I'm still counting my blessings because if it had been just about a millimeter closer I probably would have lost that eye. Took about a month to heal

8. anakin_sky

Sep 13, 2001
    Ouch

Once Riskbreaker up there tryed to use on of those cheap plastic darth maul sabers for a fanfilm. the first time he swung hard the dowel flew out and missed my head by inches

9. sovknight

sovknight Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 1, 2001
    My film is completely CG, so you'd think injuries wouldn't be an issue right?

Note to self: Remove nail protruding from broken computer desk where knees hit the bottom. Clean up blood.

SK

10. Darth-Riskbreaker

Nov 4, 2001
    Once Riskbreaker up there tryed to use on of those cheap plastic darth maul sabers for a fanfilm. the first time he swung hard the dowel flew out and missed my head by inches

Yup, it was scarey and very funny at the same time, shame we didnt get it on tape.

11. Macho

Macho Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 21, 2001
    Umm well, I dont have any yet....I hope no one is hurt too bad and I espically hope that the blades dont brake in practice since they are PVC....

12. anakin_sky

Sep 13, 2001
    Riskbreaker gets hurt alot

One time he was having fun twirling a double-bladed prop and one end came into contact with his balls it was not pretty

13. DorkmanScott

DorkmanScott Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    We practice with PVC pipes and our Jedi Master has a thing for knuckles. He tends to end fights with knuckle shots. I've got a few pink scars along that area where the force of impact shoves the blood so hard it breaks the skin not at the point of contact, but at the TWO points BESIDE where it hit.

And the crotch. We spar sometimes to see if we can get any good combos out of it and stabs to the crotch happen on occasion. Mostly they're blocked, but it needs only to graze.

At one point we were practicing a swing for the head and the guy I was sparring with didn't duck and got a full-force PVC to the head. He had to lay down for about ten minutes.

Later that same day we had brought out, instead of the pipes, some foam-padded wooden katanas. Well, the sleeve holding the foam in was round but the blade was sword shaped, so after a good bit of fighting the foam was pushed away to the sides leaving the wooden edge more or less exposed--which we couldn't see with the sleeve, you understand. So this time *I* take a head-shot that resounds along the street, and stagger for a second or two while I attempt to focus both my eyes in unison.

When sparring, me with a single blade, opponent double, I blocked his downward swing and was immediately bonked by the opposite blade as it came down.

Another was a sudden powerful swing I wasn't ready for as we were working out more choreography. "Well, what if I did THIS?!" WHACK! There go my glasses.

Got hit in the elbow on a spin-strike that went low. Luckily it looked like it connected with my blade, so I masked it with a contact flash and it looks fine.

Most of it's me getting the crap knocked out of myself. Kind of sad since I'm the head choreographer. LOL

M. Scott

14. Darth-Riskbreaker

Nov 4, 2001
    One time he was having fun twirling a double-bladed prop and one end came into contact with his balls it was not pretty
    Yes, I do get hurt quite often, though the shot to the smartparts didnt hurt as much as my arm, if you can imagine.

15. scudknight

scudknight Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 2, 2000
    I was injured before we even started shooting....

I was going down for a joust and after the hit, i came off my horse and my foot was caught in the stirrup and landed straight on my shoulder, dislocating it, separating the ac joint and bending the collarbone frame....when i rolled over to get up it popped back into place....i was not havin fun.....good thing it wasnt my sword arm....

then shooting started - another long tale of injury, but it comes with the territory...only bound to get worse. :)

16. Prelude_Dread

Prelude_Dread Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 15, 2001
    prelude injuries

kris: near-broken knuckles, from yours truly, on a few occasions

chandler: we yanked his ass backward down a flight of stairs but he didnt get hurt, which blew me away when i saw it...

me: when we were getting rid of all our junk from one of our set strikes we were chucking stuff from the back of ry's truck and i sliced my hand open on the end of some electrical conduit; shootin on cliffs one day the waves picked up and pounded me twice and dislocated my shoulder, which still pops outta the socket from time to time

and we'll leave the running leaps from the cliffs for another day...

17. lokmer

lokmer Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 15, 2000
    Well, it's not a fanfilm, but when working on fight choreography for my new film last Saturday I broke my toe doing a spinwheel kick on a soft mat. My balance was off just *this* much, and the toe dug into the mat. I twisted almost 270 degrees on that toe, but the point of the toe stayed in the same spot. There was an audible "CRACK-POP" and a searing pain in my toe, and after getting splinted and taped we went back for another 2 hours rehersal. Now I wear tape under my socks.
    -Lokmer

18. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    During the filming of Doom Raiders, we had a family of extras helping us build a village set. A large rock fell off a wall onto the little girl's hand (I think she was about 10 or 11). Anyway, she was rushed to hospital, and had to be operated on immediately, because she had ruptured (I think that's the word) all of the tendons in her hand. It was not a pretty sight. She's a lot better now (I think she got some time off school!) and she and her parents aren't mad or anything. (Actually, I think it was her brother who put the rock on the wall in the first place!)

19. DaftMaul

DaftMaul Former TFN Fan Films Staff star 5 VIP

Feb 18, 2001
    Dang this thread makes ugly reading!

Thankfully we didn't even have anything close to an accident or grizzly tale to tell. I tried to put a blooper reel together the other day containing the 'funny outtakes' during filming and there just weren't any. It was all as dull as ditchwater, unless you count the hilarious 'Oh I got my line wrong' type of comment as bloopers...

20. NickLong

NickLong Jedi Master star 4

Sep 29, 2000
    I remember a couple of years ago when i was doing some test footage in the woods with a friend of mine.

we had a camera set up and the microphone wasn't very powerful, so it didn't pick up our voices.

well, we went at it with a choreographed sequence. Matt (my mate) did his little spin then low slice at my legs. I forgot to jump. his dowl landed smack bang RIGHT on my knee cap.

The worst parts about it are that:

1. I have a history of knee problems and even a minor knock can render me unable to walk properly for weeks.

2. When we played back the tape, we head this almighty WHACK. we played it slo-mo. you can hear the impact of the dowl perfectly loud. but you can't hear a word we say...bastard camera!!!

anyway,

Nick "Shorty" Long

21. EagleIFilms

EagleIFilms Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 6, 2001
    Knowing you, Nick, it doesn't take much guessing as to what you said... ;)

22. Ranka_Jaade

Ranka_Jaade Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 6, 2001
    Me and my friend are making a fanfilm at the moment, the worst thing to happen was a direct hit to my arm by his PVC tube, it left a pink line for 30 minutes but then disappeared. The only other thing that has happened is the occasional knuckle shot during our high speed rehearsals.

23. Keighvin

Keighvin Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 30, 2001
    We've been limited to banged knuckles so far, since we're only in preproduction. When the cast is really going at it I'm sure we'll see our share of mild calamity.

Still, your hands smart something fierce when hit w/a bo.

Enguerrand, I sincerely hope it was a boken or shinai you were using - you wouldn't get a bump on the head from a katana!

24. darth_kohai

darth_kohai Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 30, 2001
    Enguerrand, I sincerely hope it was a boken or shinai you were using - you wouldn't get a bump on the head from a katana!

I thought the same thing. More likely than a bump on the head, you'd probably get a head on the floor.

25. GarenLiLorian

GarenLiLorian Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 1, 2001
    Enguerrand was using my Boken. He just calls is a katana because... well... ever since that hit, he's been a bit slow...:p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.