main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Injuries During the making of fan films

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by Darth-Riskbreaker, Dec 5, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Seth-of-the-Sith

Seth-of-the-Sith Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 28, 2001
    Special effects, what special effects?

2. NickLong

NickLong Jedi Master star 4

Sep 29, 2000
    Thought I might resurrect this to see if there's any recent stories of injury for my twisted little mind to laugh at?

anyone?

Bueller? Bueller? Ferris Bueller??

anyway,

Nick "Will anyone get that?" Long

3. anakin_sky

anakin_sky Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 13, 2001
    ( bump )

:)

4. niennumb1

niennumb1 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 10, 2001
    About 3 months ago while shooting one of our fight sequences for the new Toy Wars movie, my brother got knicked in the side of the face during one of the saber sequences by one of the prop swords. To him it felt like he just got knocked in the face, but he didn't even feel the small gash he got on his cheek. It was one of those very small knicks, but it was one that was just real open. He insisted on finishing the rest of the shots anyway and then afterward washed his wound and got a butterfly bandage to pull the gash together from getting infected. Wasn't pretty.

5. PixelMagic

PixelMagic Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 8, 2001
    My buddy Jonathan cut his leg on a rock during the filming of Star Wars: The Soft Drink Menace. When he chases me up the side of a ledge, he fell over and cut his right leg open on a rock. He bled. It was pretty bad. He still bares the scar, I think.

He kicked me in the face, and I fell off that ledge (all for a shot in the film)

Also, I jumped backwards off the ledge 3 or 4 times, for different camera angles. However, after we got all that cool footage of me falling, we accidently recorded over it. I was so angry.

6. Pixelito

Pixelito Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 16, 2002
    there were no major injuries on the set of The Mon Gazza invitational.... actually, I stubbed my tow once or twice...

(the "set" for the film was at my desk.... entirely CG)

7. mpfjr

mpfjr Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 8, 2001
    This one time, at band camp...

Anyways, I plan to be careful of course, so I hope to avoid many of the injuries I read about in this thread.

For any light saber fights (and as of now none are planned for my film) I plan to use those bamboo practice swords (which are designed to hit people with) and I am going to duct tape some padding or other shock absorbant material around the blade "just in case"

Thank you Nick for resurecting this thread. It was a good read.

8. WhisperingDeath

WhisperingDeath Jedi Padawan star 4

May 25, 2002
    Sorry seth-of-the-sith very convincing, but since you did it in a night time setting you had more aparent lighting which gave away your fake. You use a fade for about .002 secs. of the film right when the light to, i would guess about .5 sec into the acutal explosion. If you take it very slow you can see two frames of fade then there are no bodies when only the explosion is there. Other give-aways are more foregrounnd set items (wire) in the 2nd shot and moved set items (boxes).

However, very convincing! I believed you for about the first 5 times i watched it through, but then i took it slow and saw your fade.

You can't fool a fool, and you can't use movie magic on a film maker.

9. anakin_sky

anakin_sky Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 13, 2001
    Im resurecting this long forgotten thread.

10. Darth-Riskbreaker

Darth-Riskbreaker Jedi Youngling

Nov 4, 2001
    Wow, havent been to this thread in ages.

Well I have a new injury. I was doing some CG and while the animation was rendering I decided to go and get a drink and some chips. I got the stuff and ran back into my room, not looking where I was going. My foot struck one of the legs of my chair. My pinkey toe bent outwards at what seemed close to a 90 degree angle. After many strings of profanity I calmed down.

And alas, I broke my toe...while doing CG...

Chris

11. Ryan_W

Ryan_W VIP star 4 VIP

Aug 15, 2001
    [image=http://www.zenvideo.net/ryan_w/temp/scar.jpg]

A few months ago I was in my back yard just practicing with my double bladed lightsaber as I often do. Just twirling, fighting air, trying cool stuff, speeding up what I know, etc. Anyway, I did some sort of spin that came a bit too close to side of my head when I lost control. It was right about then I found out just how hard my solid aluminum handles are.

The hit was right on the edge of my right brow or temple. It was very blunt but extremely painful. After I was done cursing, I rubbed my head and discovered a suprising ammount of blood running from it.

Upon closer inspection in the bathroom mirror it appeared that the cut was the sort that are blunt but hard enough to split skin not widely, but deeply, down to almost the bone. It took a while, but I dried it, put some neosporin on it and put a bandaid on it to help keep it closed to heal.

So now I have a nifty little scar right above my eye that when people ask about I just say "lightsaber training accident."

12. wixmmm

wixmmm Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 8, 2001
    Chics dig scars Ryan... just drop the star wars story :p

Cya
    Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.