main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Inn Of The Last Home: Dragonlance Discussion

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Books and Comics' started by PrincessKenobi , Jan 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PrincessKenobi

PrincessKenobi Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2000
    I recently started reading these and am in love with them. I'm starting the 2nd book soon. I can't wait to find out what happens next.

~PK~

2. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Long time since I read them, but I did re-read them recently.

From what I'm told, from fantasy fans far more knowledgable than I, the best ones are still the Seasons ones (Autumn Twilight, Winter Dawn etc) and the ones about Raist and Caramon, Test of the Twins IIRC.

dp4m recently did a conversion of Dragonlance to SWRPG, which was pretty neat, over the in the Games:RPG forum.

E_S

3. PrincessKenobi

Aug 12, 2000
    Oh, I'll have to go check that out.

~PK~

4. Zebra3

Zebra3 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 28, 2004
    Wish I'd seen this before I made that other thread :p

anyway, I'm really excited with the turn that Dragonlance is taking. It's been great reading novels whose events are not world shattering.

Children of the Plains was pretty good I thought but I didn't like the way that it ended.

The Ergoth Trilogy was, again, pretty good but didn't like the way that that ended either :(

Now I truly love the Linsha Trilogy and I can now safely say that she's probably my favorite female charater in the Fantasy genre :) And I didn't have any problems with the way this trilogy ended :)

And with the Taladas Trilogy I am really happy once again! For as long as the franchise has been around, it's great to see them take the stories beyond the borders of Ansalon.

Good times! :)

5. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    The Dragons and The Dragons At War are two of my favorite books. "Quarry" and "Aurora's Eggs" are two great short stories in the first. Quarry being about the elf with psyonic powers who hunts and slays dragons, and the other is the short story that leads into the novel of the rebirth of the dragons.

The Lord Soth series is really good too, but Spectre of the Black Rose, which is actually in the Ravenloft series, is my favorite.

Forgotten Realms books run the gambit bewteen good and bad, but what few Dragonlance books I have read are awesome and well written.

6. Lord_of_all_Noldor

Lord_of_all_Noldor Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 30, 2005
    Dragonlance books are amazing!

7. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    I'm starting the first one :D Does anyone have a list (in order) of the books?

8. PrincessKenobi

Aug 12, 2000
    Dragons of Autumn Twilight
    Then Winter, then Spring, then Summer.

If there is a Summer I don't remember. I know the 2nd one is something Winter cause I bought it.

~PK~

9. FlareStorm

FlareStorm Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 13, 2000
    I can give you a recommended reading order, focusing on the 'core' books. These detail all the important world and character events, in order:

Chronicles Trilogy by Weis and Hickman
    Basically the core trilogy. Start here.
    Dragons of Winter Night
    Dragons of Spring Dawning

Legends Trilogy by Weis and Hickman
    Sequal trilogy. Read Next.
    Time of the Twins
    War of the Twins
    Test of the Twins

In here you can put any of the 1230993 "background" novels, such as The Meetings Sextant, The Heroes Tilogy, etc. None are written by Weis or Hickman, so they don't have any world-changing events that you need to know. The Legend of Huma is good, and there are plenty of others so you can find one based on your favorite characters. I've heard that Raistlin Chronicles are good, but I have not raead them.

The Second Generation
    The Second Generation is a collection of short stories from other anthologies. They got put into this book to get you prepared for the next cycle. Read after Legends.

Dragons of Summer Flame comes next, and is important (and good). Not a trilogy, just a single novel.

Dragons of a New Age Trilogy
    Not by Weis/Hickman. Doesn't include our favorite characters, and IMO not very good. However, they do contain important events that you need to know for the next books. I would recommend just skipping these and reading an online summary or something.
    Dawning of a New Age
    Day of the Tempest
    Eye of the Maelstrom

War of Souls Trilogy
    Happens next. Weis and Hickman return and 'fix' the Dragonlance world after some other authors and Wizards of the Coast mucked it all up
    Dragons of a Fallen Sun
    Dragons of a Lost Star
    Dragons of a Vanished Moon

Dark Disciple Trilogy
    by Weis. The current trilogy in progress.
    Amber and Ashes
    Amber and Iron

10. Zebra3

Aug 28, 2004
    I think that the Minotaur Trilogy is also worth mentioning as core novels. Those events seem to be affecting quite a bit of Ansalon. Paricularly with regards to the elves.

11. FlareStorm

Nov 13, 2000
    anyone read Amber & Iron : The Dark Disciple, Volume II (the latest in DL chronology)? I want it bad but its only in hardcover.

No spoilers please :)

12. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Thanks for the list :) I'm in the middle of the 1st book, and I've got the second and third out from the library :)

13. FlareStorm

Nov 13, 2000
    This is a frusterating topic! Im like 10 books ahead of you all :(

14. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Hopefully I'll have more time this summer after exams.

15. Mikaboshi

Mikaboshi Force Ghost star 6

Jul 12, 2005
    Cool thread. Most of what I started reading when I was younger was Dragonlance, I then moved on to Forgotten Realms and R.A Fiest and other fantasy worlds. No matter what I read though, I always compare it to the quality work that Wies and Hickman have put out, and although Fiest is close they are still the best IMO.

I have read all of the following, so if anyone has questions or wants to discuss feel free....

Chronicles Trilogy by Weis and Hickman
    Basically the core trilogy. Start here.
    Dragons of Winter Night
    Dragons of Spring Dawning

Legends Trilogy by Weis and Hickman
    Sequal trilogy. Read Next.
    Time of the Twins
    War of the Twins
    Test of the Twins

The Meetings Sextant, The Elven Nations Trilo, Tales 1,2,3, Kingpriest Trilo, all of the Villians series, and a few of the anthology books. There is probably a few more.

I just started on Wies and Hickman's new stuff, and I like it. I need to get more of it though and I am waiting for paperbacks.

The Second Generation

Dragons of Summer Flame

War of Souls Trilogy
    Dragons of a Fallen Sun
    Dragons of a Lost Star
    Dragons of a Vanished Moon

16. FlareStorm

Nov 13, 2000
    Amber and Ashes is in paperback, and I thought it was excellent
    Amber and Iron should be soon

17. Mikaboshi

Jul 12, 2005
    I may have to go and get it then. :cool: I really like what happened since the Chaos War, it was a massive shocker when I eventually got to the end of the War of Souls, I did not see that coming at all.

That series also sold me on Mina, she is a great character IMO. I was a loyal folower by the end of the first book, I am looking forward to seeing where they take her from where I left off.

Have you been able to read any of the Minotaur Wars series yet? From what I gathered on it I think it looks good, there arn't enough Minotaur stories out there IMO.

18. FlareStorm

Nov 13, 2000
    Well the "Amber and...XXX" is the next major installment, after the Chaos War. Written be Weis (with no Hickman) so I assume its pretty official. Mina is the central character. Without giving away spoilers, its a great job on her character and the state of the world now.

19. alhana_antilles

alhana_antilles Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 16, 2002
    This is a frusterating topic! Im like 10 books ahead of you all

Don't worry, I've read all the core books with the exception of the Amber and *** ones (because I can't stand Mina).

I have qusetion: do they tell anything about what happened to Valthonis after the WOS? I'm curious about his future and how he deals with being mortal.

20. FlareStorm

Nov 13, 2000
    not yet, that I know of

21. Mikaboshi

Jul 12, 2005
    From my understanding he has not been written about since the end of the War of Souls, I am also looking forward to hearing more aobut his adventures.

22. Zebra3

Aug 28, 2004
    A new Companions book by Weis and Hickman is coming out! :eek:

[image=http://www.wizards.com/global/images/products_dlnovel_956467200_lgpic.jpg]

Looks like they're going back to tell the untold stories of what the companions were up to at various points during The War of the Lance.

23. Jayla_Beta

Jayla_Beta Jedi Youngling

Jul 14, 2006
    An animated feature has been announced for Dragonlance.

I love Kenders!

24. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Yeah, the animated Dragons of Autumn Twilight should be cool.

D&D Minis have released a Free League Ranger, deliberated based off Tanis sculpt wise. I have 2. :D

E_S

25. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    When is the animated series coming out?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.