main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Inn Of The Last Home: Dragonlance Discussion

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Books and Comics' started by PrincessKenobi , Jan 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. whiskers

whiskers Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2005
    Hello fellow Dragonlance fans. It's good to see that we have a small community of fellow fans of this great saga.

I began to be a fan of this series in 1999 when I first started playing D&D. I didn't actually play in Krynn, but it did lead me to buy a big old box of Dragonlance and Forgotten Realms novels at my library (only $5.00 too!).

I haven't really been up to date with the new stuff (although I did recently buy the first Taladas novel) but the War of the Lance stuff was golden.

I'm glad to see that they're actually making a movie out of the first book, and I hope it's good. Can't wait to start reading the Lost Chronicles series. I heard Kitiara's in the second one that's about to come out.

2. FlareStorm

FlareStorm Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 13, 2000
    You should catch up with the new, "official" novels by Weis and Hickman. They have kept up with their style, yet changed the world a lot.

Just a warning to everyone, easy on the movie hype. There has been a Dragonlance movie in the works since I started following it in the 90's, and it's always fizzled out. There's a lot of fan-hype-advertisment, that I think contributed to the original developments demise. From experience, I would only trust http://www.dragonlance.com or http://www.margaretweis.com/

3. whiskers

May 19, 2005
    I will. I have a long way to go, don't I? I'm up for the challenge.

Trying to get a game started as well; working on the basics of the first few adventures right now.

4. FlareStorm

Nov 13, 2000
    For d20 D&D? They just released Dragons of Autumn, which is a remake of the original D&D adventures which follows the first book.

I've only browsed through it, but it looks neat.

5. StarscreamPrime

StarscreamPrime Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 9, 2006
    I probably should've posted on this a while ago, since "Dragonlance" may well be the only Fantasy series that not only got me into the genre, but it's one I've stayed loyal to all this time. (Nigh going on about 9-10 years, now! Holy Hannah, I'm old!) Heh!

Probably what hooked me into the series was the characters. It may have been my first exposure to "complicated" characters; those that aren't simply cut-and-dry molds of good and/or evil. To this day, while some of my friends still really had a distaste for the character, I have a fondness for Raistlin in particular. Plus, the action flowed well in the books. I can enjoy a Fantasy novel that's thick with plotting and scheming, but I also do enjoy a good barn-stormer event novel.

The main body of my "Dragonlance" reading is the Weis-Hickman novels, which may well be the books that are MANDITORY reads to the saga. But I will also give some credit to one of my other favorite contributors to the universe, Richard Knaak. His novel, "The Legend of Huma", was probably one of the best non W-H "Dragonlance" books on the market.

6. whiskers

May 19, 2005
    Yeah, d20 system. I've heard about the remake, but I don't think I'll really need it as they're not that close to the area the module takes place in. I'm thinking of starting the group in Throtl.

7. FlareStorm

Nov 13, 2000
    The module has stats for the original Companions, and assumes you will use them. But it has advice for using your own characters, making sure all the 'roles' are filled (like Tanis, the leader. Caramon, the stupid but caring warrior)

Throtl during the War of the Lance, I do believe was a Hobgoblin run city, strongly contested by what there was of the Knights of Solamnia.

Yeah that's Dragonlance. You wanna see what choices Tanis will make, what Tasslehoff will do next, or if Caramon will ever realize Raislin's nature. Sometimes you forget the whole good/evil war going on.

You aren't alone, Raistlin is one of the best characters in all fiction! Who hasn't lusted for power, and if its in your grasp what would you sacrifice for it? Sounds like someone else I know (Anakin Skywalker)

I agree, that is a good book. Especially if you have read the original Weis-Hickmans and want to know who this Huma character they keep mentioning is. I would say that is the best non-core book too.

8. whiskers

May 19, 2005
    Exactly why I was reccomended to start their. It's a few years before the war actually starts and the PCs can get in some "classic D&D (sans Orcs)" action before the War begins. A few hints will be dropped (say "In the past few years, the goblins and hobgoblins have really been organizing...") and maybe one or two of the future Heroes of the Lance will make cameo appearances while on their initial quest.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.